SACD sale at Half Price Books

  • pkaragas
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
      Hey all! For those of you still interested in SACDs, Half Price Books has quite a few brand new & sealed classical SACD titles for cheap (between $5-$10) with some 2 disc sets, too. I saw them at two locations here in Austin and bought 12 so far, so I'm guessing that there are some titles at a few of their stores in SA. I'll be posting some of the titles up under my bargain finds photo album soon. Paul
    • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
        Hi, Paul:

        Were the SACD's separated or did you have to look through all the regular cd's to find the SACD's? At the stores here in the past, they have been mixed together and I have had little luck with the time I have available in finding the few SACD's in their inventory. Back 4 or 5 years ago when Best Buy carried SACD's, they used to have them, along with the DVD-A discs in a special section. As they phased them out, they started mixing them in with the regular titles and that is when I quite buying them there.

        Don

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
          Don,
          The SACD's here in San Antonio at half price books are mixed in with the regular cd's
          I have found a few Pentatone classical sacd's at under $10
          Alan

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
            They were mixed together with the regular classical CDs, just look closely for the rounded corners on the SACD cases. Maybe I'm wrong about whether they are at more than a few stores, but for less than $100 for 12 new titles it might be worth the search. Good luck!

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 8, 2012
              Thanks, Alan and Paul. That was my impression, that they were mixed in with the redbook cd's. However, since they have a much smaller selection of classical cd's than other genre's, it might be feasible to look over their classical section here for any SACD's mixed in. With popular titles (rock, pop, jazz), I just don't have the time to go through them. Also, I have had some problems ripping their redbook cd's due to scratches; my program has difficulty making a bit perfect copy due the scratches, even though my Oppo will play them due to its excellent defect tracking ability. And of course, it is very difficult to rip SACD's and I guess I am getting lazy about getting up and finding a disc and putting it in the player.

              Don