RE: [rivercityaudiosociety] February RCAS Meeting 11/25 Feb 2012

  • david weil
    Message 1 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
      Don, I just ordered a new laptop for server use. It should arrive Thursday so I'm trying to decide on the best setup for it. Is your's a mac or pc and what music player do you use to play your high def tracks?
      Dave

      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      CC: godzilla56@...
      From: ddisbennett@...
      Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:38:35 +0000
      Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] February RCAS Meeting 11/25 Feb 2012

      Hi, Bob:

      I would love to hear the new speakers sometime; I bet they will improve as they get more hours on them as most speakers do not sound their best when new.
      I have about 25 or so HD albums, including one from AIX(you ought to check them out as well sometime as they have various formats available, including multichannel. I have only one album from them so far, but it sounds very good. I have a new laptop that I bought specifically for my living room system which I use to stream music from my central server. Since it has its own screen, I can use it to see my collection without firing up my big plasma just to select an album. It sounds very good. I moved my Peachtree Dacit into my two channel system in my bedroom and it sounds quite good with the M&K satellites and Def Tech sub.

    • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
        Hi, Dave:

        It is an Acer (larger) netbook with 4gb of ram and a 500 gb hard drive running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Signature edition. I am using the latest version of JRiver Media Center 17 and it works very well with all my various high def audio formats. I have the older version on a several desktops, one of which the netbook replaces and it worked very well on those older computers too. I am using the hdmi straight out of the pc to my AVR since it has 24/192 dacs in it and it really sounds very good and I can use either the laptop screen by itself or turn on my plasma if I want to navigate my collection from my couch. I don't have any music on the netbook, rather I just stream the music from my wired server. So far, everything works great and I especially like that it is so much quieter in operation than the desktop it replaced and much faster to boot up. It has an 11.6" screen which is a very nice size for this use.
        Let me know how your new laptop works once you get it.

        Don

      • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012

          ---- david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

          > Don, I just ordered a new laptop for server use. It should arrive Thursday so I'm trying to d orecide on the best setup for it. Is your's a mac or pc and what music player do you use to play your high def tracks?er
          > Dave
          >
          > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
          > CC: godzilla56@...
          > From: ddisbennett@...
          > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:38:35 +0000
          > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] February RCAS Meeting 11/25 Feb 2012

          > Hi, Bob:
          >

          > I would love to hear the new speakers sometime; I bet they will improve as they get more hours on them as most speakers do not sound their best when new.
          >
          > I have about 25 or so HD albums, including one from AIX(you ought to check them out as well sometime as they have various formats available, including multichannel. I have only one album from them so far, but it sounds very good. I have a new laptop that I bought specifically for my living room system which I use to stream music from my central server. Since it has its own screen, I can use it to see my collection without firing up my big plasma just to select an album. It sounds very good. I moved my Peachtree Dacit into my two channel system in my bedroom and it sounds quite good with the M&K satellites and Def Tech sub.
          >

          > Don
          >

          > > Bob
          >

          > > P.S. Your going to have to come by and hear my new Sonus Faber speakers! I have
          >
          > > the only pair in Texas, they are a version of the Elipsa that has been upgraded
          >
          > > with the top of the line tweeter & crossover. Only 2 pairs in the US right now,
          >
          > > but more are coming. I heard them in denver and had to get them. Really great
          >
          > > sound, tonal colors, articulation of instruments. Very different from my Focals,
          >
          > > but Im already in love with them..... I have also been downloading off of HD
          >
          > > tracks and now have about 15 24/96 albums. They sound great! How many do you
          >
          > > have now?
          >

          > > ________________________________
          >
          > > From: "ddisbennett@..." <ddisbennett@...>

        • david weil
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
            Hello Don,
            Sounds like a great setup you have. My laptop will be PC as well. I'm glad to hear that the Jriver software is working for you because I'm planning on running it as well. I've been trying to avoid J. River and it's $50 price tag for a long time.
            I installed Foobar2000 on my Desktop as a test run and got it outputting 24 bit through the Wassapi output driver. The sound was great but I couldn't get the files to organize seamlessly like on Itunes. I downloaded Media Monkey for a quick tryout and found the organization of the database was much better and it was visually on par with Itunes. Unfortunately, the program had problems auto detecting all of my extensive playlists from Itunes-a deal breaker for me. Thus I'll be downloading J. River on my new machine when it gets here so that I'll finally be content, albeit $50 poorer. Your description of your system really helps me out. Thanks.
            My setup will be two channel so I'm shopping for a good dac to use right now. I found a 1.5 TB 2.5" hard drive that I'll install in the laptop so that all my music files will fit internally. I like the idea of a laptop as a server not only for the computer functionality, but you can run it off battery power to avoid AC noise. Not too mention they've gotten pretty cheap...
            It sounds like you guys have a pretty good collection of HD Tracks going now. I've got about 250 24bit songs myself so we could probably get a nice little library together to demo at a meeting.
            Best,
            Dave

            To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
            CC: dpgdave@...
            From: ddisbennett@...
            Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 19:48:38 +0000

          • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
              Hi, Dav and e:

              I have my older, smaller netbook in my bedroom two channel system running USB out to my Peachtree Dacit and then on to my Denon 3808 feeding my M&K speakers and Def Tech 2000 sub. I also am streaming wirelessly on that computer from my main server. I am running JRiver Media Center on it, although I wasn't sure the small processor and only 1 GB of ram would run it, but it does. It sounds fine, but the hardware only supports a very limited choice of formats out of the DAC, so I can't run Wasapi like I do in the living room system. I have to run Wave ouput, which I guess is OK as I just kind of put together this system with older gear I already had.
              Let me know how yours works out.

              Don
              ---- david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

> [...]
              >

              > > Don
              >

              > > > Bob
              >

              > > > P.S. Your going to have to come by and hear my new Sonus Faber speakers! I have
              >

              > > > the only pair in Texas, they are a version of the Elipsa that has been upgraded
              >

              > > > with the top of the line tweeter & crossover. Only 2 pairs in the US right now,
              >

              > > > but more are coming. I heard them in denver and had to get them. Really great
              >

              > > > sound, tonal colors, articulation of instruments. Very different from my Focals,
              >

              > > > but Im already in love with them..... I have also been downloading off of HD
              >

              > > > tracks and now have about 15 24/96 albums. They sound great! How many do you

            • david weil
              Message 6 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
                Don,
                If the M&K speakers are the ones you brought to the meeting, I'm sure your bedroom is sounding great regardless of output format. I'll let you know how my server turns out and how the final setup looks. I can't wait to have all that music at my finguretips.
                I wont have a use for my prized SACD player, the Sony SACD5400 that I bought after hearing Alan's at a club meeting. If anyone would be interested in it, let me know and we could work something out.
                Happy listening,
                Dave

                To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                CC: dpgdave@...
                From: ddisbennett@...
                Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:48:39 +0000

                Message 7 of 20 , Feb 7, 2012
                  Dave:

                  Yep, it’s the same M&K speakers I brought to the RCA meeting and they do sound very good to be so very old.  I would be interested in that Sony 5400 if I didn’t have a great sounding universal player like my Oppo 93, but to tell the truth since I put all my music on my server, I rarely listen to my SACD’s anymore.  I mainly use the Oppo to play Blu-ray movies and watch Netflix, although it also does a fine job streaming from my server.  If it had a display so I could see what I wanted to play, I wouldn’t have gotten the netbook.

                  Don

                  From: ddisbennett@...
                  Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:48:39 +0000

                  ---- david weil <mailto:dpgdave%40hotmail.com> wrote:

                  > Hello Don,
                  > Sounds like a great setup you have. My
                  laptop will be PC as well. I'm glad to hear that the Jriver software is working for you because I'm planning on running it as well. I've been trying to avoid J. River and it's $50 price tag for a long time.
                  > I installed Foobar2000 on
                  my Desktop as a test run and got it outputting 24 bit through the Wassapi output driver. The sound was great but I couldn't get the files to organize seamlessly like on Itunes. I downloaded Media Monkey for a quick tryout and found the organization of the database was much better and it was visually on par with Itunes. Unfortunately, the program had problems auto detecting all of my extensive playlists from Itunes-a deal breaker for me. Thus I'll be downloading J. River on my new machine when it gets here so that I'll finally be content, albeit $50 poorer. Your description of your system really helps me out. Thanks.
                  > My setup will be two channel so I'm shopping for a good dac to
                  use right now. I found a 1.5 TB 2.5" hard drive that I'll install in the laptop so that all my music files will fit internally. I like the idea of a laptop as a server not only for the computer functionality, but you can run it off battery power to avoid AC noise. Not too mention they've gotten pretty cheap...

                  It sounds like you guys have a pretty good collection of HD Tracks going now. I've got about 250 24bit songs myself so we could probably get a nice little library together to demo at a meeting.
                  > Best,
                  > Dave
                  >
                  > To:
                  href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com

                  CC: mailto:dpgdave%40hotmail.com

                  From: mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com

                  Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 19:48:38 +0000
                  > Subject: RE:
                  [rivercityaudiosociety] February RCAS Meeting 11/25 Feb 2012

                  Hi, Dave:

                  > It is an Acer (larger) netbook with
                  4gb of ram and a 500 gb hard drive running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit Signature edition. I am using the latest version of JRiver Media Center 17 and it works very well with all my various high def audio formats. I have the older version on a several desktops, one of which the netbook replaces and it worked very well on those older computers too. I am using the hdmi straight out of the pc to my AVR since it has 24/192 dacs in it and it really sounds very good and I can use either the laptop screen by itself or turn on my plasma if I want to navigate my collection from my couch. I don't have any music on the netbook, rather I just stream the music from my wired server. So far, everything works great and I especially like that it is so much quieter in operation than the desktop it replaced and much faster to boot up. It has an 11.6" screen which is a very nice size for this use.

                  > Let me know how your new laptop
                  works once you get it.

                  > Don

                  ---- david weil <mailto:dpgdave%40hotmail.com> wrote:

                  > > Don, I just ordered a new laptop
                  for server use. It should arrive Thursday so I'm trying to d orecide on the best setup for it. Is your's a mac or pc and what music player do you use to play your high def tracks?er

                  > > Dave
                  >

                  > > To:
                  href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com

                  > > CC:
                  href="mailto:godzilla56%40sbcglobal.net">mailto:godzilla56%40sbcglobal.net

                  > > From:
                  href="mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com">mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com

                  > > Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 15:38:35 +0000

                  > > Hi, Bob:
                  >

                  > > I would love to hear the new speakers sometime; I bet they will improve as
                  they get more hours on them as most speakers do not sound their best when new.

                  > > I have about 25 or so HD
                  albums, including one from AIX(you ought to check them out as well sometime as they have various formats available, including multichannel. I have only one album from them so far, but it sounds very good. I have a new laptop that I bought specifically for my living room system which I use to stream music from my central server. Since it has its own screen, I can use it to see my collection without firing up my big plasma just to select an album. It sounds very good. I moved my Peachtree Dacit into my two channel system in my bedroom and it sounds quite good with the M&K satellites and Def Tech sub.

                  > > Don
                  >

                  > > > Bob
                  >

                  > > > P.S. Your going to have
                  to come by and hear my new Sonus Faber speakers! I have

                  > > > the only pair in Texas, they are a version of the
                  Elipsa that has been upgraded

                  with the top of the line tweeter & crossover. Only 2 pairs in the US right now,

                  > > > but more are coming. I
                  heard them in denver and had to get them. Really great

                  > > > sound, tonal colors, articulation of instruments.
                  Very different from my Focals,

                  > > > but Im already in love with them..... I have also been downloading off of
                  HD

                  > > > tracks and now have about
                  15 24/96 albums. They sound great! How many do you

                  > > > have now?

                  > > > ________________________________
                  >

                  > > > From: "
                  href="mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com">mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com" <mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com>

                  > > > To:
                  href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com

                  there is still room for me.

                  > > > Thanks!

                  Don

                  href="mailto:godzilla56%40sbcglobal.net">mailto:godzilla56%40sbcglobal.net> wrote:

                  members and happy 2012. The next meeting will be a

                  February and four for the 25th. This is a a great

                  and see and enjoy their systems.

                  RSVP and I will confirm your attendance and

                  sign up, I will only announce this to general membership by

                • david weil
                  Message 8 of 20 , Feb 8, 2012
                    Don, You can't go wrong with the Oppo. I wish I could have attended the Oppo player club meeting to hear the differences between the models. I need to get by John's again to hear his Modwright Truth modified Oppo-sweet!
                    The Sony 5400 is great for sacd and redbook playback. It replaced their $3,500 777es player for less than half the money and the Reviewers say it's better than the 777es in every way. "A gift" to audiophiles" LOL! I don't have enough SACDs to justify keeping it so I'll use the proceeds for a good DAC.

                    To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                    From: ddisbennett@...
                    Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 22:15:20 -0600

                    From: ddisbennett@...
                    Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 21:48:39 +0000

                    From: mailto:ddisbennett%40satx.rr.com

                    Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2012 19:48:38 +0000
> [...]
                    >

                    > > Don
                    >

                    > > > Bob
                    >

                    > > > P.S. Your going to have
                    to come by and hear my new Sonus Faber speakers! I have

                    > > > the only pair in Texas, they are a version of the
                    Elipsa that has been upgraded

                    with the top of the line tweeter & crossover. Only 2 pairs in the US right now,

                    > > > but more are coming. I
                    heard them in denver and had to get them. Really great

                    > > > sound, tonal colors, articulation of instruments.
                    Very different from my Focals,

                    > > > but Im already in love with them..... I have also been downloading off of
                    HD

                    > > > tracks and now have about
                    15 24/96 albums. They sound great! How many do you

                    there is still room for me.

                    > > > Thanks!

                    Don

                    > > > ---- Robert <mailto:godzilla56%40sbcglobal.net>

                    members and happy 2012. The next meeting will be a

                    February and four for the 25th. This is a a great

                    and see and enjoy their systems.

                    RSVP and I will confirm your attendance and

                    sign up, I will only announce this to general membership by

                  • dpgdave
                    Message 9 of 20 , Feb 10, 2012
                      Bob,
                      I never heard back from you about this weekend's meeting.
                      Any word for the folks on the wait list?

                      Message 10 of 20 , Feb 11, 2012

                        Hi Dave, Sorry but todays mini-meeting is full, everyone has checked in.