Re: ARC Re Tube Help...

  • the_matching_mole
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 31, 2012
      Have you bought the tubes yet? If not, I'd call ARC immediately and talk to them about your situation. (If you have, I'd call them anyway. Their advice is free.)

      Oh, and that VT100 is the shitnit. I've got a serious jones for ARC hardware now =8-0.

      I just got my ARC SP-6B back from them for refurb/repair, and they were more than generous with their advice and help. After the refurb, I'm sure I'll get another 20 years out of my preamp.

      Call 763-577-9700, ask to speak to the technician named Chris. He is extremely knowledgeable about ARC stuff and very generous with his advice.

      They put new ARC-approved Mullards in my preamp. ARC is very, very particular about which tubes they'll recommend in their gear.
    • Steve Surbaugh
      Message 2 of 3 , Feb 1, 2012
        MM,

        Yeah, I bought the tubes from Jim McShane  http://www.mcshanedesign.net/ . Should be here tomorrow.
        He's got good reviews on Audiogon. I'm trying the new Tungsol 6550s and Genelax 6922s. He's very familiar with ARC gear and tube amps in general.

        I spoke with ARC and they gave great advice as always and faxed over the re-tube instructions. Looking forward to the new tubes. I have over 4,000 hours on the Sventlanas right now.

        I should have re-tubed it earlier but didn't get around to it. I had an ARC Classic 30 years ago that needed re-tubing and just one day a tube blew and took out a couple of resistors.....

        Steve Surbaugh