Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Consumer Electronics Show (CES )Las Vegas

    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 19, 2012
      You can buy them new online for $100 less and they come with a warranty.

      From: bohan.joseph@...
      Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2012 05:30:11 -0800

      Hey Dave ! Joe Bohan here. I have a passive pre ( TVC) in my system. What works best for any passive pre is a power amp with a high input impedance , eg, 50Kohm or better still 100K like my tube amps. Also it should have good voltage sensitivity, eg. 1 volt input for full power output. The sources ( dvd player, phono preamp,tuner,ipod) all should output apx Twice the voltage needed by the power amp and should ideally have low output impedance,preferrably 1000 ohms or less. Lower is better and higher voltage is better. Almost forgot to add that you will want to keep all your interconnects as short as possible. The voltage from your source component must drive thru the cables and the insertion loss of the passive preamp and be able to adequately drive the power amp.A TVC is less critical for matching than a resistor passive,but more expensive. What happens if the matching is less ideal is usually a rolling off of high frequencies. To get the same transparency as a good passive I believe one would need to spend a great deal more money. Here's a link to the company whose magnificent tvc I bought :     http://www.promitheusaudio.com/frontpage.html       His cosmetics are good,but not top tier. Like great homemade. His most affordable passives are probably the best you could do in that price range. If you can swing a bit more cash,and especially if you want to drive a solid state amp with lower input impedance, his apollo preamp has one triode tube gain stage with transformer output. The C-core option would be best,but adds quite a bit to the price. My preamp is no longer listed, but he would make one if asked. It was his Reference C-core passive. I hope this helps and wasn't overkill.
      Anyone is welcome to come hear my system. I work weekdays and live in a small apartment and could accomodate only about 2 people at a time.
      From: szaiontz@...
      Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 10:46:17 -0600

      I've heard good things of the Dodd tube buffer if you want to just add a little warmth to the signal.
      http://doddaudio.com/BatteryPoweredTubeBufferPreamp.aspx

      Cheers,
      Steven

      On Sat, Jan 14, 2012 at 10:38 AM, david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

      Don, That's the Peachtree Grand Pre that we were referring to. Peachtree is heading up market with they're Grand series which includes the Grand Pre ($3k) and Grand integrated (4,500). You can check them out on they're website. I've heard the Dac-it and thought it was great. I also owned the original Decco as well as the Nova and thought they were great values, versatile and high quality. I'm not sure if I like were Peachtree is going with the higher priced gear... I did see the integrated at the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest - its 450 watts per channel ClassD and they had it driving a big set of Sonus Faber I thought it sounded great.
      For my needs, I'd love to try out the Grand Pre, but at the high price, I may just buy a used Nova and use as the preamp and dac sections-I'd use the pre outs to my amps and maybe try some tube rolling. That or I'll just buy a tube preamp and a stand alone DAC. Does anyone have any recommendations for a tube preamp? I missed the Preamp club meeting... My system consists of a Sony SACD5400 source, Belles MB-200 amps and Martin Logan CLS speakers. I want to warm the system up a little bit with the tubes.

      Best,
      David

      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      From: ddisbennett@...
      Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 09:22:26 -0600

      Hi, Bob:

      I have the new Peachtree Dac*it dac and it was only $499; I guess you are referring to Peachtree’s higher end model, the IDac which runs about $1,000 or so.  I am very pleased with the sound quality and especially the hidden detail from their “budget” dac.

      Don

      Sent: Friday, January 13, 2012 10:57 PM

      I hear what your saying. New SACD were nowhere to be seen except Esoteric, and they are having managemen issues now. But i still love gheyty

      I have hear great digital at 24/96 using HD tracks and afforbable dacs, like my music hall. The peachtree is very good but a bit picey for our needs. U need to come by'y place and hear some new stuff.

      Sent from my iPad

      Bob

      On Jan 13, 2012, at 9:22, david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

      ob: Thanks for the updates. If you see any new and affordable SACD players with digital inputs, please let me know.

      I still haven't heard a digital file sound better than an SACD (and I won't even mention vinyl). With an SACD player w/digital input, one could play CDs, SACDs, or digital music from a computer, including hi-def, straight through the player without having to buy both a dac and SACD player (SACD player is needed because the SACD format cannot be outputted through a transport/dac). I was shopping for such a player but couldn't find anything with the digital input that was still affordable - high end Esoteric, Wadia & Luxman players had the digital input but far too expensive for me. I ended up with a Sony SACD5400 which I think is very good but no digital input.

      Another option for me would be a preamp with a Dac in it to run my CD/SACD player in analog and computer in digital. I've seen the Benchmark pre but I'd like something with tubes. Dac integration in a tube preamp seems to go against the tube gear design philosophy of isolation and simplicity. So far I've only found the Peachtree Grand Pre which could work for me but it's brand new and pricey.
      So if you see anything like that at the show, please let me know. That would be very helpful.

      As for the meetings, I've got my digital rig up and running with Wassapi, the output that bypasses Windows media on PC (windows media cannot output 24 bit).
      I'd be happy to hold a meeting to show the guys how to get they're hi-def digital up and running correctly.

      David

      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      From: thudeets@...
      Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2012 07:41:34 -0800

      Bob, will do regarding the future mini-meeting logistics. Also, I agree with Don. Thank you for the great report. One comment on your findings -- I know there may be a sense of growing dismay as the availability of the CD format dwindles, and gets replaced by yet another (Computers and DACs?). That said I have heard people say digital audio files sound great these days. I have also heard people contradict the idea that digital audio files sound great. I guess one's perception may be dependent on the quality of the equipment used for playback. My experience is that the file is not the weak-link it used to be when the compression formats like MP3 were the only option. Just a thought. Again, thank you for some great insight.

      Don, nothing added or changed regarding the setup similar to yours. I have another setup (two-channel) which is the one that is down for improvements at this time. Nothing has been added though. It is undergoing a checkup and possibly some parts replacements as an upgrade) --- Matt