need advice on cables that do not fit so tightly and are on the cheaper side

  • mrwoodzi
    Message 1 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
      Fellas, I need some advice on what to do about cables that are affordable. I currently have some Monster THX cables that are way too tight and have damaged a couple RCA inputs, more recently on the NEC integrated I just picked up. When I pulled one of the monster cables off the RCA, the metal rca cap came off with it and is still lodged in the cable.
      I need advice on getting some decent quality cables that have a looser fit. Also, if you are looking to get rid of some cables that might fit the bill let me know.

      Thanks,
      Michael
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
        Hi, Michael:

        I have recently had a similar experience with the Monster RCA cables being too hard (almost) to even get onto my new DAC and integrated amp.  You might try the Premium RCA cables from Monoprice; also, I understand that now Best Buy carries the Audioquest line of cables.  I haven’t tried them, but I can’t imagine that they would be any harder to install/remove than the Monster’s.  I just hope that when I remove them from my gear, they don’t pull off part of the RCA jack the way they did on yours.  I will be very upset!

        Don

        Message 3 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
          I concur with Don, Audioquest has a good line of cables and they are at best buy.

          Message 4 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
            Have you thought about DIY? How many cables do you need? How long? I would be more than happy to help you put something together.

            If not, you have several options.

            You can buy new from places like http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm and http://www.mitcablesexpress.com/.

            You can buy the cable and parts from http://www.parts-express.com or even Ebay.com.

            You can buy used from other members, Ebay and Audiogon.com

            Luther

            Message 5 of 12 , Jan 2, 2012
              I second the DIY route. You can get some fantastic results with minimal amounts of money. Plus, you can't beat custom lengths and your own quality control.

              -Steven

              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Wardsweb <wardsweb@...> wrote:

              > Have you thought about DIY? How many cables do you need? How long? I would be more than happy to help you put something together.
              >
              > If not, you have several options.
              >

              > You can buy new from places like http://www.bluejeanscable.com/store/audio/index.htm and http://www.mitcablesexpress.com/.
              >

              > You can buy the cable and parts from http://www.parts-express.com or even Ebay.com.
              >
              > You can buy used from other members, Ebay and Audiogon.com
              >
              > Luther
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Matt Solorio
              Message 6 of 12 , Jan 3, 2012
                Michael,

                Getting back to you on your quest for a decent quality cables ---

                I have a pair of vintage Prism cables that you are welcome to.

                Also, I have read some of the responses from our august society. I agree with all comments, and believe that they are excellent. Don's FYI on the line of Audio Quest cables at Best Buy is good news. I can vouch for Luther's suggestion regarding the DIY rout. I have, also made some cables from scratch with great results.

                Incidentally, the Monster Cables are famous (infamous?) on the internet for their tight fit. Yours and Don's experiences are added to a growing list of comments I have heard regarding the virtual death grip the Monster Cables have on RCA contacts. Just as an FYI I have seen one review that extols the benefits of the tight grip for an ability to transfer the audio signal with minimum loss (I guess as opposed to looser fitting cables). I doubt this particular review would have been as positive had they lost an RCA cap in the process like you did.

                I do not need the Prism cables that I have available, and they are too good to just be laying around in my closet if you want them. I am not where I can get to them right now to measure them. That to say, I do not know the specific length, however I believe they are in the 4' to 5' range. If you want them please let me know. ----Matt

                Message 7 of 12 , Jan 3, 2012
                  Michael-
                  I've recently tried some decent sounding and well made (for the money) cables that Radio Shack sells as part of their "Auvio" brand placed right next to their own monster cable selection. The connectors are still gold plated but aren't the massive and overly stiff types like you described.

                  Message 8 of 12 , Jan 3, 2012
                    He is correct!  I had forgotten about the ones from Radio Shack, but I am currently using one of their coaxial digital cables which has the same connector as the RCA’s and they have just the right amount of grip.  They look and feel high quality and they insert and remove without undue effort.  I think the 6 foot cable was around $20.00.

                    --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "mrwoodzi" <mrwoodzi@...> wrote:

                    > Fellas, I need some
                    advice on what to do about cables that are affordable. I currently have some Monster THX cables that are way too tight and have damaged a couple RCA inputs, more recently on the NEC integrated I just picked up. When I pulled one of the monster cables off the RCA, the metal rca cap came off with it and is still lodged in the cable.
                    > I need advice on getting some decent quality cables
                    that have a looser fit. Also, if you are looking to get rid of some cables that might fit the bill let me know.

                    > Thanks,

                    Michael

                      Message 10 of 12 , Jan 4, 2012
                        Joseph, thank you for the tip regarding how to loosen MC connections. I should keep it in mind if ever I dare to remove some MC cables already hooked up in my HT setup, however until enough time has passed to fade the prominent mental image of the yanked-out RCA connection that Michael mentioned in his earlier post my inclination is to leave them be. :-) ----Matt

                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 4, 2012
                          Monster correctly says you must turn the connector clockwise while pulling it out. If you're trying to remove tight ones it might help to put one drop of a lightweight penetrating teflon lube such as Triflow between the turbine blades to reduce the effort.It will spread out all over the connector by itself. Wipe off after removal. I use Triflow in the bike shop for everything. Magic in a can or squeeze bottle.

                          Message 12 of 12 , Jan 4, 2012
                            Yesterday I managed to slowly twist  off the RCA  cap that was still stuck on the cable and just pushed the cap back on and seems to work just fine. Seems like I was able to dodge a bullet.