November RCAS Meeting : Oppo Players

    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 20, 2011
      Our November meeting will feature the "hottest" universal players in the audio world. The Oppo line of machines have been proclaimed as great by every reviewer and so on. Are they? Within the RCAS club universe we have access to several models, i.e. the Oppo 83, 95, and I believe a modded unit as well. Can you hear improvements as the line has progressed? I will bring my Focal bookshelf speakers in lieu of the B&W's so that we can really listen critically to these models. Any members with Oppo machines, please let me know what you have so we can set the line up. Final details, to include date and location are pending. John and I will also discuss the Denver show as well as the other members who attended.
    • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 20, 2011
        Bob:

        I have an early production (pre-release) Oppo BDP-93 I can bring to the next meeting.

        Don
        ---- Robert <godzilla56@...> wrote:
        > Our November meeting will feature the "hottest" universal players in the audio world. The Oppo line of machines have been proclaimed as great by every reviewer and so on. Are they? Within the RCAS club universe we have access to several models, i.e. the Oppo 83, 95, and I believe a modded unit as well. Can you hear improvements as the line has progressed? I will bring my Focal bookshelf speakers in lieu of the B&W's so that we can really listen critically to these models. Any members with Oppo machines, please let me know what you have so we can set the line up. Final details, to include date and location are pending. John and I will also discuss the Denver show as well as the other members who attended.

      • dpgdave
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 20, 2011
          Sounds great Bob. I do love your BE Focals (I like your floor standers too). Would it be possible to tap into the in wall and ceiling surround speakers in the Bjorns room to try out the surround sound tracks on SACD and Blu Ray Audio discs?
          Has anyone heard about the new SHM SACD format? I picked up a few SHM discs at RMAF so I can bring them along. I have my RMAF pictures posted on Picasa. You can check them out at this link:

          https://picasaweb.google.com/106778656190825023589/101611RMAF?authkey=Gv1sRgCKGXhuvY2ZaPKg

          Best,

          David Weil

          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 20, 2011
            Excellent. I have an 83, I think John has a modright version of a 93 or 95......
            I hope you saw I finally got some pictures uploaded :)

            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 20, 2011
              For reference, if it's useful I can bring my Benchmark DAC-1. I use the balanced out with zero internal attenuation for best sound into my TVC's.   Joe Bohan

              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 21, 2011
                > Has anyone heard about the new SHM SACD format?

                I've got a few RB SHMs and think they sound spectacular. I think they're better than SACDs. I have lossless rips of a few SHM-SACDs and am blown away by those too. I'd actually buy some SHM-SACDs if they didn't cost $60 each.

                I managed to get some of the Rush SHMs before they went out of print for $30 or so each and they're the best digital Rush I've ever heard.
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 21, 2011
                  Some SHM SACD's sound very good but I don't think they are worth
                  $60. Some people on Audio Asylum have purchased some and did not like them.
                  Again it depends at how well they are mastered. I have a couple and don't
                  intend to buy any more. Vinyl and redbook cd's are fine for me
                  Alan