What's your setup?

  • vintagehifisteve
    Message 1 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
      Hey guys, Steven here. I just thought it would be neat to see what equipment and speaker setups my fellow RCAS members are using. Maybe you can post a quick write up of what you're using, or possibly post some photos. As always the more the merrier.

      My current rig consists of the following:

      Pioneer SA-7800 Integrated Amplifier
      Pioneer TX-7800 Analog Tuner
      Sony BDP-S580 CD Player
      24" HP monitor @ 1200p native resolution
      Monster line conditioner

      My listening room is a work in progress so there are no pictures as of right now. Though I can say that I am in the completion stages of building a pair of Mark Audio Super Pencil cabinets for his Alpair 10 Generation 2 full range drivers. These will be used as my main speakers in my small listening room of 10' x 10' with 9' ceilings. If anyone can offer suggestions or help with room treatments, I would be highly appreciative.

      Also, just to throw this out there. I operate/program a CNC router which is accurage down to 1/1000th of an inch and have access to any type of hardwood, plywood, veneer, or fiber board you can think of. If anyone has any DIY projects they've been putting off because either you lack the materials and/or woodworking skills, I offer my help. Or if you'd like to have a custom one-off finished piece without the hassle of getting dirty I offer my services for a very reasonable price (varies for complexity of build and materials used).

      -Steven Z.
      Message 2 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
        Steve Welcome!

        Your timing could not be more spot on. Within a few weeks I was going to replicate some JBL 2397 horns in 1" bubinga I have sitting in the garage. Doing this with hand tools and a belt sander is tedious at best. I'll shoot you an email about some CNC time. I will have pieces that can be used as templates or scanned, if you have that capability.

        As for audio, to much to list in this post right now (typing from work). A quick snap shot is:
        living room 2 channel vinyl and SACD running tube mono blocks and very high end DIY horns.
        den is home theater running solid state mono blocks and huge horns on bass bins and a dual 12" tapped horn subwoofer.
        back room has a vintage SAE system, a tube system and other pieces not in use at the moment.
        dining room has some electrostats in transition, as I just sold the pre and monoblock to fund a new project.

        Luther

        Message 3 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
          Hey guys,
          Great thread post Steve - I like the ambition of you all with the speaker projects and DIY.

          My setup is a pair of Harbeth Super HL5 running off a Naim NAC82 pre and NAP200 amp.
          Front end is a Rega Planet 2000 and a computer running through a Rega Dac.

          I just upgraded to the Rega Dac from the Cambridge DacMagic and wow-big difference.
          If we ever do the DAC comparison I'll bring the Rega Dac along.

          I've also got a set of La Scalas that I've been upgrading with Bob Crites tweeters and xovers. I love the scalas and I'm surprised by how great they sound with my Naim gear. Tubes/horns is the golden combo of course and I've run the Scalas with ARC tubes with good results, but Naim gear rolls off the highs a little which I think provides a similar affect to tubes on the highs while delivering the tightness of SS gear and the boogie-ability of Naim. An interesting and pleasant surprise.

          Next for me will probably be a SACD player and a heavier speaker with better bass control and delivery. Some electrostats would be fun too.

          David Weil

          To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
            Nice stuff ! I think Harbeth's are the only "box" speaker I've heard that were pleasing to my ears. I'm a real big horn and electrostac guy, so use to a very open and airy sound. The Harbeth I heard were open and forward and I liked that.

            You will have to make it over when I do the open house. That way you can hear horns, electrostats and conventional speakers in a short time span and see what you think.

            Luther

            Message 5 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
              That sounds great Luther. Let me know when your planning the open house and I'll get signed up.
              I really enjoyed hearing (and seeing) your CDP and Amp last weekend. Great gear.
              Thanks,

              To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              From: wardsweb@...
              Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:27:49 -0700

              Message 6 of 7 , Mar 25, 2011
                Count me in for the open house as well. Both Angela and I enjoyed meeting everyone last weekend and getting to hear the differences in everyone's gear. It was a real treat. Luckily me bringing her along convinced her that I wasn't crazy in my persuit of auditory bliss. Thanks for the help guys! ;)

                --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

                > That sounds great Luther. Let me know when your planning the open house and I'll get signed up.
                > I really enjoyed hearing (and seeing) your CDP and Amp last weekend. Great gear.
                > Thanks,
                > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                > From: wardsweb@...
                > Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2011 09:27:49 -0700
                > Subject: RE: [rivercityaudiosociety] What's your setup?

                > Nice stuff ! I think Harbeth's are the only "box" speaker I've heard that were pleasing to my ears. I'm a real big horn and electrostac guy, so use to a very open and airy sound. The Harbeth I heard were open and forward and I liked that.
                >
                > You will have to make it over when I do the open house. That way you can hear horns, electrostats and conventional speakers in a short time span and see what you think.
                >
                > Luther

              • Steve Surbaugh
                Message 7 of 7 , Mar 26, 2011
                  Steven,

                  Great idea. I just joined the group. Didn't make the meeting last week.
                  Been into High End for quite a while.
                  Current set up...Which hasn't changed in quite a few years since the Toddler came along:

                  Dynaudio Contour 1.8k2...(floor standing 2 ways)
                  ARC VT100..(All tube 100watt)
                  Audible Illusions 2D..many different tube combos over the years. Currently with Electro Harmonix
                  VPI Junior with MK3 Platter
                  Audioquest Arm
                  Grado Sonata MM
                  Jolida JD100 with Electro Harmonix as well.
                  Cables mostly older AQ stuff.

                  Had in the past:
                  Vandersteen 2ces
                  M-L Aerius