Re: Help

  • the_matching_mole
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25 1:25 PM
      I'd call the dude (Brian?) at Whetstone Audio, he might know someone who could help. He's not afraid of Chi-fi either: http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/?page_id=6

      I wouldn't bother with Sound Idea. I've been there and was far from impressed.

      Circle Stereo (http://www.circlestereo.com/) might do it, but they tend to be really slow.

      Might be worth it to contact Terry Dewick (http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm), but you'd have to send the amps to him.
    • Steven Zaiontz

        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25 1:51 PM
          Same thing
          B+ is shorting out at location of the same tube position
          as last time. I probably can fix it but it is just a pain for me
          to deal with this 70lb giant. I will try again tomorrow
          Alan

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25 1:57 PM
            No problem

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25 1:57 PM
              Is this a physical shorting against something close? Is there a part that is shorting internally (if you know)?  If physical I have several things to better insulate high voltage from glass mat to high temp silicon tubing. I can take a look if you like. Maybe this coming Sunday afternoon?

              Luther

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25 2:24 PM
                I'm not sure. Last time the plate resistor opened up and I lost B+ to the tube
                This time after noticing bias was gone on this one tube I opened it up
                and did not immediately find anything. Upon refiring up the tube went
                out in a flash. I have yet to go back in. I would appreciate a visit
                on Sunday. Let me know if you can make it
                Alan

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 25 2:30 PM
                  Let's plan for 1pm. Do you know the value of the resistor? If it opens without a short down stream pulling to much current, the resistor wattage may be border line. Something as simple as using a larger watt resistor may be the fix.

                  Luther

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 25 3:12 PM
                    I will check tomorrow if it opened
                    See you Sunday