Re: Help

  • wardsweb
    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
      What was wrong the last time they failed? What is wrong now: no power, no sound, no heater, etc...?

      Luther

      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

      > I spoke to Austin Stereo and he said because my Hurricanes are Chinese he does
      > not want to
      > touch them. He said he is just trying to survive and did not want to take them
      > on. Surprising
      > if he is trying to survive he would turn away business. I have not spoken to
      > Sound idea
      > yet but they do not seem in there ad to deal with tube amps. O well i will
      > probably have to tackle it myself. Meanwhile my VTL's are sounding really nice
      > Alan

    • the_matching_mole
      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
        I'd call the dude (Brian?) at Whetstone Audio, he might know someone who could help. He's not afraid of Chi-fi either: http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/?page_id=6

        I wouldn't bother with Sound Idea. I've been there and was far from impressed.

        Circle Stereo (http://www.circlestereo.com/) might do it, but they tend to be really slow.

        Might be worth it to contact Terry Dewick (http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm), but you'd have to send the amps to him.
      • Steven Zaiontz

          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
            Same thing
            B+ is shorting out at location of the same tube position
            as last time. I probably can fix it but it is just a pain for me
            to deal with this 70lb giant. I will try again tomorrow
            Alan

            Message 5 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
              No problem

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                Is this a physical shorting against something close? Is there a part that is shorting internally (if you know)?  If physical I have several things to better insulate high voltage from glass mat to high temp silicon tubing. I can take a look if you like. Maybe this coming Sunday afternoon?

                Luther

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                  I'm not sure. Last time the plate resistor opened up and I lost B+ to the tube
                  This time after noticing bias was gone on this one tube I opened it up
                  and did not immediately find anything. Upon refiring up the tube went
                  out in a flash. I have yet to go back in. I would appreciate a visit
                  on Sunday. Let me know if you can make it
                  Alan

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                    Let's plan for 1pm. Do you know the value of the resistor? If it opens without a short down stream pulling to much current, the resistor wattage may be border line. Something as simple as using a larger watt resistor may be the fix.

                    Luther

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                      I will check tomorrow if it opened
                      See you Sunday