Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Help

    Message 1 of 13 , Aug 21, 2011
      Steven,
      Thank you very much for the information
      I will check them both out
      Alan

      From: vintagehifisteve <szaiontz@...>
      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sun, August 21, 2011 2:46:24 PM
      Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Help

      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "alanhendler@..." <alanhendler@...> wrote:

      > My ASL Hurricane has failed again. I don't have the energy to open her up to try to fix it myself. Does anybody know of someone who could fix thalis for me in San Antonio or Austin or even Houston?
      > Alan

      Sorry to hear that alan. San antonio has "The Sound Idea". Austin has "Austin Stereo". Austin stereo does a nice job from what i can remember. Earlier this year i had them fully rebuild my 1978 Pioneer sa-7800 integrated amp and am pleased with their thorough treatment. Im not sure if they will be able to take on equipment such as yours but it's worth a shot. By the way if anyone is interested, i'm looking to sell or trade the pioneer i just mentioned for an integrated or receiver with fiber optic inputs and am open to ideas or can sweeten a deal with some green backs.

      Message 2 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
        I spoke to Austin Stereo and he said because my Hurricanes are Chinese he does not want to
        touch them. He said he is just trying to survive and did not want to take them on. Surprising
        if he is trying to survive he would turn away business. I have not spoken to Sound idea
        yet but they do not seem in there ad to deal with tube amps. O well i will
        probably have to tackle it myself. Meanwhile my VTL's are sounding really nice
        Alan

        > My ASL Hurricane has failed again. I don't have the energy to open her up to try to fix it myself. Does anybody know of someone who could fix thalis for me in San Antonio or Austin or even Houston?
        > Alan

        Sorry to hear that alan. San antonio has "The Sound Idea". Austin has "Austin Stereo". Austin stereo does a nice job from what i can remember. Earlier this year i had them fully rebuild my 1978 Pioneer sa-7800 integrated amp and am pleased with their thorough treatment. Im not sure if they will be able to take on equipment such as yours but it's worth a shot. By the way if anyone is interested, i'm looking to sell or trade the pioneer i just mentioned for an integrated or receiver with fiber optic inputs and am open to ideas or can sweeten a deal with some green backs.

        -Steven

      • wardsweb
        Message 3 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
          What was wrong the last time they failed? What is wrong now: no power, no sound, no heater, etc...?

          Luther

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

          > I spoke to Austin Stereo and he said because my Hurricanes are Chinese he does
          > not want to
          > touch them. He said he is just trying to survive and did not want to take them
          > on. Surprising
          > if he is trying to survive he would turn away business. I have not spoken to
          > Sound idea
          > yet but they do not seem in there ad to deal with tube amps. O well i will
          > probably have to tackle it myself. Meanwhile my VTL's are sounding really nice
          > Alan

        • the_matching_mole
          Message 4 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
            I'd call the dude (Brian?) at Whetstone Audio, he might know someone who could help. He's not afraid of Chi-fi either: http://www.whetstoneaudio.com/?page_id=6

            I wouldn't bother with Sound Idea. I've been there and was far from impressed.

            Circle Stereo (http://www.circlestereo.com/) might do it, but they tend to be really slow.

            Might be worth it to contact Terry Dewick (http://www.mcintoshaudio.com/dewick_repairs.htm), but you'd have to send the amps to him.
          • Steven Zaiontz

              Message 6 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                Same thing
                B+ is shorting out at location of the same tube position
                as last time. I probably can fix it but it is just a pain for me
                to deal with this 70lb giant. I will try again tomorrow
                Alan

                Message 7 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                  No problem

                  Message 8 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                    Is this a physical shorting against something close? Is there a part that is shorting internally (if you know)?  If physical I have several things to better insulate high voltage from glass mat to high temp silicon tubing. I can take a look if you like. Maybe this coming Sunday afternoon?

                    Luther

                    Message 9 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                      I'm not sure. Last time the plate resistor opened up and I lost B+ to the tube
                      This time after noticing bias was gone on this one tube I opened it up
                      and did not immediately find anything. Upon refiring up the tube went
                      out in a flash. I have yet to go back in. I would appreciate a visit
                      on Sunday. Let me know if you can make it
                      Alan

                      Message 10 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                        Let's plan for 1pm. Do you know the value of the resistor? If it opens without a short down stream pulling to much current, the resistor wattage may be border line. Something as simple as using a larger watt resistor may be the fix.

                        Luther

                        Message 11 of 13 , Aug 25, 2011
                          I will check tomorrow if it opened
                          See you Sunday