RCAS BBQ

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 14, 2014
      If you need my address to get to the BBQ next Saturday (June 21, 2014) please email I will send it you.

      The BBQ starts at 1PM.

      RCAS is funding the lion's share of the food this year. (What a great group!)

      I'll be able to get take-out with all the trimmings from a good BBQ place; and a few members have also committed to bringing some great additional food items. There should be plenty to eat and drink.

      I will carve out some space in the house for the swap meet, the traditional area for buying, selling, and trade between members. Please feel free to bring gear for any of afore mentioned activities if you want.

      There will be a two channel system and a surround sound system available to hear. The two channel room can accommodate about three people at a time comfortably; the surround sound area will accommodate more than that. Between the two systems all the common audio formats should be playable. Alan is bringing a DSD DAC also.

      Feel free to bring a favorite piece of music or two if you want.

      I cannot say anything else about the BBQ that Bob and John have not already said perfectly in previous posts, so again please email me if you need directions, and I'll email back with the information in a private reply.

      ----Matt

        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 19, 2014
          I had the good fortune this year to be able to attend T.H.E. Show in Newport Beach, California. I arrived on Wednesday night and left at 5pm on Sunday afternoon. I was afraid I had booked too much time there and would get bored, but I was busy and delighted the whole time and never felt the need to leave the two hotel spread. Strangely my hotel room was in the middle of an exhibit floor, but it was not much of a problem.

          I must have visited over 100 incredible rooms, but I only took a few pictures, and was only able to properly remember and account for a tiny fraction of what I actually saw and heard. There were about eight floors of exhibits, so it was close to being as big in high end audio to the CES/THE show in Las Vegas this year. I also enjoyed a seminar on room tuning.

          I wrote a review of what I remembered the best here (with some pictures):

          http://audioinvestigations.blogspot.com/2014/06/newport-beach-show-ratings.html

          Since being back at home, I appreciate my own system more, and have been enjoying my new DAC (an Onkyo RDV-1 which can be used as DAC and features Burr Brown PCM 1704's, the last single chip ladder dacs made). I've made a new spdif digital connection between the kitchen (where my Mac Mini is located) and the living room so I can (finally) play high resolution PCM files, and I've installed Amarra Hifi to play the files properly. I love my first download of Dave Brubeck Time Out in 24/96 from HDTracks. I continue to resample DVD-Audio's and HDCD's in the living room played on a Denon DVD 5900 with a Lavry AD10 analog to digital converter for my digital crossover and EQ, but I've decided to upgrade the Denon 5900 to a Denon DVD 9000 which features dual differential 1704's per channel--so I can be using ladder dacs all the way for those kinds of discs which are my favorites. Now that I have a digital line to the kitchen, I believe I can use the Oppo BDP 95 there to transcode SACD's to 24/88 PCM which would probably be better than resampling them as I have done in the past using the 5900/AD10, and SACD's will not play on the DVD 9000 which will replace the 5900.

          Looking forward to the BBQ.

          Charles Peterson
        • joaquinmunoz822
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 20, 2014

            Matt, I am looking forward to attending, but need directions.  I'll bring a couple of desserts to top off the meal.

            Regards,

            Joaquin

          • Matt
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 20, 2014
              Joaquin, that's great!

              Just sent you the address separately.

              ----Matt

              Matt, I am looking forward to attending, but need directions.  I'll bring a couple of desserts to top off the meal.

              Regards,
              Joaquin

            • Pierre Martinez
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 20, 2014

                Hi, sorry I will not be able to attend; I will be in Mexico starting tomorrow.

                Have fun!  I will miss the meeting…  L

                Pierre Martinez