RCAS Meeting This Saturday at 2PM will be epic!

  • godzilla56@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 40 , Mar 11 1:09 PM
      Greetings to all RCAS:
         As we announced at our last general meeting this month is a "subject" month where the club focuses on a new item, equipment, technology etc for the meeting. Due to the effort required for this it can't happen monthly nor will it be repeated if you miss it. The third Saturday is here in a few days as this is a month with 5 Saturdays (ugh!). Secondly, note the meeting time is 2PM, not the normal start time. Bjorns is starting a new information academy on a variety of subjects so we will get the room after they finish.
        Now for the good part. Have you ever heard native DSD files? We have read about them in our audiophile magazines and at this years CES and Rocky Mountain show it was hard to find a DAC without a DSD decoder. Remember, we are not talking about SACD or PCM converted files, but native true DSD. Whether you want it or not DSD seems to be the current 'big thing" to include new downloads in that format.  John will be bringing the new Sony DSD server to the meeting. I will be bringing one of the last Sony ES CD players.
      We will listen to a rebook CD version of a song, and also a DSD version. Of course we want to keep things interesting, so you won't know which file we are playing. We will tally votes after each 2 song session and after voting see how many of you can pick DSD from Redbook CD. This is real world stuff, not esoteric shoot at the moon double blind testing with prima donna audio golden ears (wow!). We don't pretend to be scientific but our results are pretty darn good from past tests in this manner. What I want to hear, and I think others will also, is can you really hear the difference? Is it worth buying a DSD DAC or server if so? This is an individual question of course but honestly we (John and I) don't have an opinion…yet. We will also have a DSD white paper and a recent review on the Sony server for members.
        Please don't forget to see Joe about your dues if you have not paid. Cash only right now.
      Saturday, 2PM at Bjorns, see you there!

      Bob

      P.S. I doubt there will be time for member music as we have 10 DSD selections and we need to listen to each title twice and compile results. However, one or two CD's may still be slipped in if we run short.

      Message 40 of 40 , Mar 19 9:38 PM
        Great,
        I will get in touch and we can look at  April
        Alan