Peter, Paul & Mary, Hi Reso lution Folk Music….Finally!

  • godzilla56@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 10, 2014
          It has been nearly four and a half years since Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary passed away from leukemia.  Ironically, there we're plans underway to re-release a number of classic PP&M albums, all remastered and planned for a variety of formats to include vinyl records (33 1/3rpm, 45rpm and SACD). Unfortunately, her death and subsequent estate complications stopped all these releases. Last week the wait ended after many false starts and retracted ads. I just received the SACD release of PP&M's first album titled simply with the groups name (Audio Fidelity SACD AFZ 161) Peter, Paul and Mary. Finally, I get to hear one of my all time favorite groups sound almost exactly as they did in the 1960's at the first concert I attended. Sweet heart warming music and amazing harmonies.  This album is a Steve Hoffman remaster (Steve uses a J-Corder reel to reel similar to mine for these projects) and he has done an incredible job using a quite old master tape. I know this album very well, having Japanese and American pressings and CD's. Nothing previously released can hold a candle to this. Nor do I need to wait for some golden eared reviewer to give me their opinion. I know the "real deal" when I hear it. Many of you in the RCAS also know based on our informal tests. There are many good recordings being released but this is something very special indeed. If you love vintage folk music this is the one to have in either SACD or vinyl. There is more to come now that the estate problems have been solved and soon I hope to have 45rpm Acoustic Sounds pressed versions of PP&M's other albums. I can hardly wait. Any other RCAS who enjoy this type of music should go to the usual audiophile websites and pick this up. You never know how many are pressed and if they sell out it will be quite a wait till the next go around. Look at what happened to the reissued "Living Stereo" albums (Alan brought one to a recent meeting). OK, that's all I have to say except where is the Kingston Trio? (Capitol Records).
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 11, 2014
        Good Morning, Bob:

        Thanks for the heads up regarding Peter, Paul and Mary's albums. I have been wondering why there were no remasters of their many great albums and you just explained why. Good to hear their albums are now available in hi-rez formats such as SACD and I suspect there will be hi-rez downloads available soon. I hope I can pick up at least one of these formats soon, if not several.
        Thanks again for the info and I agree with you, "where
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 11, 2014
          Sorry, Bob:

          My email completely froze up and all I could do was send what I had written without finishing it. What I was saying was that I agree completely with your statement, "where is the Kingston Trio?". I look forward to a remaster of their great folk music as well.

          Don