Turntable service ?

  • Charles Peterson
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 25, 2014
      I bought a bunch of turntables on an auction site in February.

      One of them, a nice condition Benjamin Miracord Elac 50H is working, but the automatic mechanism is a bit squeaky, and the platter bearing also has a dry scratchy sound like it needs oil or grease. So I'm thinking that before I play this, I should get it fully lubricated, etc. This is a fully electromechanical automatic turntable from about 1970 (nothing electronic, so no capacitors that need replacement).

      Who/where can do this for me? A friend of mine knew a turntable repair guy years ago named Art Lee, but his old phone number isn't working, and I don't know if he does this anymore.

      Idler wheel turntables, like this one, are very hot now, with many audiophiles discovering they might have sonic advantages compared to belt drives which became the most popular high end audiophile choice in the late 1970's.

      I also got a Lenco L75 a few weeks ago, a famous idler drive from the 60's-70's, and the lively sound blew me away. I'm planning on investing more into that and working on it mostly myself. A former audio store owner Arthur Salvatore, who has filled up a huge website with very high end equipment reviews, proclaims a modified Lenco L75 to be the best sounding turntable ever, blowing away high end reference standards like Rockport and Walker Proscenium (but you could spend at least $10,000 to do the modifications he has done to his Lenco). Another top audio website now is LencoHeaven, where you can learn to fix and modify Lenco's and other idler turntables yourself. After hearing how well the Lenco sounded, I decided it would also be nice to have an automatic turntable with idler drive, and the Miracord seemed like one of the best choices.

      I'm not taking any sides yet, my already partly realized plan is to have great turntables with each major type of drive (idler, belt, direct). But I want everything fixed up as good as it can be, if not modified to be better than ever before.

      Charles Peterson
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 25, 2014
        Charles, I'll take a look at the table for you. Ask around the group on my abilities. You could say I'm handy when it comes to audio. I have done everything from scratch build tube amps to a custom Rek-O-Kut Rodine table. I'm in the process of building a one off dual arm table with the drive from a classic Fairchild 412. The plinth will be CNC cut from a one inch thick slab of PaperStone.

        Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Turntable service ?
        To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 25, 2014
          Hi Luther, that would be great!  I could bring it to you anytime on Sunday.  Feel free to email me alternate days/hours available.

          We could talk about some of my other equipment too, which I'm sure you would be qualified to service, given your expertise in electronics.  I've got a huge pile of high end stuff which needs work.

          I wish I had known you did plinths, I've already ordered a wood one for Lenco, but PaperStone would be better.  Maybe next year.

          Charles

          To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 25, 2014
            Luther calling himself "handy" is the understatement of the year. He has assisted me with numerous turntable issues, set-up, etc. and comes with a stellar recommendation. Contact me if you need any further info.

            Chris Varelas

            Sent from my iPad 5G (beta)

            To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 5 , Feb 25, 2014
              Chis - Thanks for the vote of confidence. You still have an open invitation to come over to my place, have a glass of wine and listen to music.

              Charles - Sunday anytime after 12noon will be fine. Hopefully you will have some time to hang out, talk audio and listen to my different systems.

              Luther