Power regenerators

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 24, 2014
      Hi guys
      Does anybody out there use a power regenerator like PS Audio power plants or the PureAudio+ regenerators?
      If you do or have in the past what is your opinion of them
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 24, 2014
        I run a PS Audio Quintessence in my 2 channel and a Panamax M5400-PM in my home theater. Gives nice filtering and voltage spike protection

        Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Power regenerators
        To: "audio society" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>
        Date: Monday, February 24, 2014, 2:57 PM

        Hi
        guysDoes anybody out there use a power
        regenerator like PS Audio power plants or the PureAudio+
        regenerators?If you do or have in the past what
        is your opinion of themAlan
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 24, 2014
          Luther,
          I am only interested in regenerators. There are endless filters nd surge protectors out there but
          only  a few regenerators. Thanks anyway for responding
          Alan

          To: "audio society" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 24, 2014
            Alan:

            When we had a mini-meet at Matt's house last year, he had a regenerator on his two channel system I believe, but I can't recall what brand or model. You might want to contact him directly.

            Don
            ---- Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:
            > Luther,
            > I am only interested in regenerators. There are endless filters nd surge protectors out there but
            > only  a few regenerators. Thanks anyway for responding

          • Charles Peterson
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 24, 2014
              Hi Alan, I have two regenerators.

              PS Audio Power Plant P300.  It works as advertised and produces up to 300W of sinewave (or other) power, using a linear power supply and Class AB+ amplifier.  But the quiet but still slightly audible fan bugged me.  Some people disconnect the fan, which is possible since the original version had optional fan.  But I then felt it got too hot, so I replaced the factory fan with a quieter fan.  I haven't used it as much since then, since I've got big UPS power conditioners on 2 of my systems (Belkin PureAV 1500) and also dedicated power circuits on 2 systems (3 systems in all, my living room system has both dedicated power and UPS power conditioner).  I don't use the power conditioner on large power amps, but everything else.  I keep the P300 for special projects.  The UPS (uninteruptable power supply) feature on the PureAV conditioners is very nice, I don't have to keep resetting all my digital equipment, and my kitchen system can play on for hours through power outages.

              BTW, the thing I recommend most is dedicated AC power circuit for audio.  The AC wiring in most homes is definitely not hifi.  I spec'd the two dedicated hifi circuits now in my house as being 20A, 10 gauge wire, and isolated ground.  Because of vaulted ceilings the electricians had to install some outside conduit for both of them.  The circuits in my house vary dramatically on noise, which I have a few gizmos to measure.  The dedicated circuits are far quieter than the others.  I use the highly regarded Pass & Seymour spec grade outlets.

              My second regenerator is a PS Audio Power Plant Premier.  That didn't work out for me before I installed dedicated power for my bedroom system (where I planned to use it).  On that same circuit, which spanned 3 bedrooms in my house (!) using 14 gauge wiring (!!, current code requires 12g for 20A circuits, but the builder wired my house with mostly 14g, so I've replaced most of the original 20A breakers with 15A for safety) I also had a APC SmartUPS 1500 (the one that weighs 70 pounds) for my computers on that same circuit.  A funny thing happened on that circuit, the boost-buck feature of the APC got into a feedback loop with the PS Audio.  Equipment was buzzing and I blew the line fuse on a Parasound HCA-1000A power amp.  So I took off the PS Audio, and it's not being used now, though I subsequently retired the SmartUPS, and got my second dedicated AC outlet for the bedroom.

              That first generation of Power Plant Premier's, which were said to handle 1500W, were made in China and PS Audio themselves have said that the later generations, made in USA, are more reliable.

              Anyway, the original version Premier that I still have is only partly a regenerator.  It doesn't regenerate the entire AC voltage, only the "difference" voltage.  For that reason, you can't do fancy things like run at different frequencies (such as 50 Hz).

              The P300 is a true regenerator and it can generate may different kinds of AC, such as deliberately adding AC harmonics (which some people think makes for better sound on certain equipment), and I think it can run at different frequencies too.  Many think the long discontinued P600 is the best PS Audio unit of all, it might weigh about 4 times as much as the P300, with similar waveform features, and might not need a fan.  IIRC, the P1200 was smaller than the P600.  P300/P600 were the first generation of regenerators by PS Audio and were replaced by the Premier generation around 2006.  Later they replaced the first Premier series with the another series, made in USA.  I do not know if any of their new ones are true regenerators like the first generation.  If they were, they'd need to be about as heavy as the first generation (P300 weights around 40 pounds) or use non-linear power supplies (which I know another manufacturer does…possibly PureAudio).

              Arguably I have a third third system also.  A friend of mine was selling sinewave inverters which he claimed made audio sound better, powered by deep cycle 12V battery (which you recharge after listening).  Despite my friends endorsement, I found the power generated by his inverter was fairly gritty and you could hear it in the chassis vibrations of the powered equipment.  I bought his smallest 125W inverter.  After awhile, I just went back to online power.

              Charles Peterson

              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 24, 2014
                Thanks Charles,
                Since I live in a leased apartment I can't run dedicated lines. I am considering a
                Pure Audio+ 1500 regenerator. It has received good reviews and they are again
                making them in Canada and not China. Romy the cat on the Good sound club has
                about 10 years worth at looking at power devices and likes the latest PureAudio+.
                He feels the PS Audio devices put out a perfect sine wave but screw up
                the sound. I am currently using an Uberbuss  rfi filter and power factor corrector
                Which is very nice. Would you be interested in selling the PPP or could I try it out in my system?
                Alan