Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.

Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM

Expand Messages
  • redbeemer01
    Hi, Bob: Many good points below. I apologize for sending this info this way, but my main (new) computer died yesterday and it may be awhile before I can ship
    Message 1 of 25 , Jul 23, 2013
    • 0 Attachment
      Hi, Bob:

      Many good points below.
      I apologize for sending this info this way, but my main (new) computer died yesterday and it may be awhile before I can ship it off and get it back, so I am having to use my laptop that I take to work. You may have noticed that I haven't sent the pictures from our recent meeting and that is due to my desktop's failure.
      So I am going to try a few things tonight to try and get the computer working, but if that doesn't work, I will have to send the pictures via my laptop. I just wanted you to know the reason for the delay. Also, I am using the web mail function as I don't have my regular email accounts set up on my laptop, so not sure how well it will work sending the photos, but will give it a try and let you know if I can't get it to work.

      Don
      ---- Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
      > Interesting........
      >
      > Well, let me chime in here......when we first started the club we asked for volunteers for certain functions and had a very  limited response. Don volunteered to be club photographer and has never missed a meeting, Luther stepped up and has done the web site work with yahoo......here is where I think we could use some help:
      >  
      >   Equipment Coordination for meetings: A coordinator who makes the phone calls and verifies we have all the components needed for a monthly meeting. We often have many members bringing in items and we always need a lot of back and forth to make sure we have everything needed. It takes a little time. Everyone needs to be contacted to be sure they have not changed plans or forgot a meeting is tomorrow...(it has happened).
      >
      >   Media/Publicity   Many people in San Antonio do not know we exit. We could use someone who would take some of Don's pictures and send them to the local newspaper for their community activities. Also brainstorm and develop other ways to publicize the club. A club information pamphlet is needed, I have started it but just seem to run out of time.
      >
      >   Preparation of materials: I would like to have a new member folder. It would have an information letter about the club/meetings and philosophy. Info about the web site. It would also have a few other items such as the Acoustic Audio catalog of fine recordings (provided free from Acoustic Audio), the Austin map of record stores and other good to have material. 
      >
      >    General assistance/Special Projects:   I often need help moving audio gear due to physical issues. So does John. Others may also as we are overall a "senior" club. Matt & Joe really helped me out this month. Unanticipated issues can up before meetings or even during meetings...i.e. new members show up and are not properly welcomed due to the absence of John or myself. New member coordinator?
      >
      > So, off the top of my head those are some "needs" I see that the club has. John and I work the larger issues regarding interactions with Bjorns, special events, product rep interaction etc. John may have some other thoughts as well and chime in later..
      >
      > We have the opportunity to grow the society if we have a few more activists and a little more involvement.  
      >
      > Finally, a word of caution. The previous audio clubs in San Antonio, Dallas and other areas have failed in recent years.  Usually due to the fact that 1 or 2 members did the majority of the work and when one got sick or left, or tired of little help, nobody would fill the void. Houston's club is strong since they have several individuals in addition to Sheri Morgenroth who do great work. I'm not suggesting anything here other than don't ignore history and that I want the RCAS to celebrate their 3rd, 5th, 10th, well you get it anniversary. Very few folks outside San Antonio expected us to survive over one year (I talk to a lot of people at other clubs & audio shows). We proved them wrong.
      >
      > Also, what do you guys think we need? Some of you have been in other groups. What can we do better? What ideas do you have? Nothing will hurt my feelings I am interested in the best courses of action for our society.
      >
      > Tx, Bob
      >
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...>
      > To: "rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>
      > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:29 PM
      > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
      >
      >
      >
      >  
      > Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Took me awhile. Sometimes nothing more complicated than helping others carry things around is a big help.  Joe Bohan
      >
      >
      > ________________________________
      > From: knickkev <Knickkev@...>
      > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:14 PM
      > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
      >
      >
      >
      >  
      >
      > BTW, I have been attending since February and can't be more happy joining the "society". Figuring out how I can contribute more going forward.
      >
      > Kevin
      > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@...> wrote:
      > >
      > > RCAS Rocks! Both literally and figuratively! Matt pretty well said everything I was going to say, except thank you Luther for stepping up and putting on an awesome program! I know it was a major hassle bringing your rather large, and, I am sure, quite heavy open reel tape deck and also for sharing those incredible tapes with us. I heard quite a few tapes on quite a few machines “back in the day”, but none equaled what I heard from your system yesterday. I would also like to say a thank you to Joe Bohan for bringing his awesome Yamaha linear tracking turntable and new phono pre-amp. I had forgotten how good vinyl can sound under the right circumstances and you brought it all back, Joe. Of course Bob’s terrific integrated tube amp and those wonderful Focal monitors were a wonderful pairing with the other gear.
      > > Finally, the wonderfully tasty analog chocolate chip cookies that Matt provided just made it all the more special an event.
      > > One side note: it was mentioned at the meeting that Half Price Books now carries some NEW vinyl, so I decided to stop by the one on Bandera and 1604 on my way back from supper tonight. Sure enough, I found new 180 gram copy of Roy Orbison’s very first record, “Lonely and Blue”, for under $14.00, so I thought I would give it a try. Those of you who know me well, know I am not usually impressed with vinyl, especially on my old (25 years?) turntable, but I must say this album blew me away. It was the quietest, lowest surface noise record I think I have ever heard at any price and the frequency range was also terrific. If the other releases in this series are as high quality as this one, I might just be buying some more vinyl after a 30 year hiatus! Check it out and let me know which albums you bought and what you think.
      > >
      > > Don
      > >
      > > From: Matt
      > > Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:13 PM
      > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
      > >
      > >
      > >
      > > Luther, Bob, John, et all:
      > >
      > > It was great seeing everyone at the meeting yesterday.
      > >
      > > Luther, everyone I talked to thought the all-things-analog agenda was a perfect follow up to last month's equally awesome digital presentation by Don. The reel-to-reel presentation amazed. It felt like being present at the time of the recording; I heard the word, stunning used to describe it. Everyone I talked to thought it was a nice touch providing the general overview of the equipment side of things, and maintaining a focus on enjoying the music.
      > >
      > > Very nice member-provided musical selections!
      > >
      > > Luther, Bob and Joe, kudos goes to you for a wonderful sounding system.
      > >
      > > Bjorn's as always is a pleasant venue. Everyone seemed to like the room this time as it was isolated from customer traffic and suited for meetings like this one.
      > >
      > > Thank you, Bob and John for creating and spearheading the River City Audio Society as an outstanding forum for audio-related presentations, and activities in San Antonio. I keep saying it but it deserves to be said: San Antonio needs an RCAS.
      > >
      > > Again, it was great seeing everyone. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk and catch up. Everyone I talked to had a fun time. It was also nice to see first-time attendees.
      > >
      > > Luther, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and fun presentation. Thank you!
      > >
      > >
      > > ----Matt
      > >
      > > _____________________________________________________
      > >
      > > From: Robert <godzilla56@...>
      > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      > > Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:05 PM
      > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
      > >
      > >
      > > As I mentioned in my last post I was waiting for a confirmation before announcing the next scheduled RCAS meeting. For those new members who don't know the process and have asked me by email about such things the long and short of it is that we normally hold our quarterly meetings at Bjorns. However, this is never automatic and requires Bjorns to check their own special events and sales promotions to ensure they have the space for us. Other meetings or social get together events can be anywhere, anytime as members choose to open their homes. We have had great events when John, Matt, Ulises, Luther and I (apologies if I forgot anyone) have opened our homes in between general meetings. These events can be a pot luck, BBQ, Xmas party etc. The main thing is we like to get together in different settings to enjoy the fellowship and listen to different systems and new music. Members with smaller listening areas can limit the number of attendees (I believe
      > Alan has done this in the past). Flexibility is the key and I am happy to coordinate such events using this web site. Now, back to the July meeting information. Our last well attended meeting was slightly impacted by the changes made by Bjorns leading into our normal meeting room ( i.e. the replica house family room). We could hear customers and showroom demos while Don was having us listen critically to his hi resolution presentation. Not optimum. However, as we are guests of Bjorn's we can't lose sight of the fact that they are giving us a great venue for our meetings and we need to be cautious never to impact in a negative way on their business. So, for our mutual benefit, the July meeting will be in one of the "back" rooms where you normally find their blowout or discontinued items. We have used this area before and actually find the acoustics to be better suited for our purposes. I will also need some help moving equipment and loading it into my
      > SUV for the meeting. I am planning to leave my home (Bitters/Huebner area) at about 1130 as the setup this month will be a bit more complicated than usual. Volunteer(s) please? I believe Matt has already signed on but it is a lot of gear and stairs are involved. Another volunteer would be great so Matt or I don't end up like Tony Soprano (hold the wise comments Don!) Since the "flavor" for July is analog it would be great if someone could bring a really good turntable also. We have the speakers, stands,cables, integrated amp, master tapes and a studio recorder all secured. A good table might be fun so we can also hear some of the latest audiophile records.......no digital this meeting! That's about it for this rather long post. Individual reminders for the meeting will be sent out the week before 20 July along with a description of the system we will be using. See everyone soon, Bob
      > >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
    • varneysa1
      I know I m one of the new guys, but for what it s worth, I have some ideas on the media/publicity end. We keep hearing about a resurgence of interest in
      Message 2 of 25 , Jul 24, 2013
      • 0 Attachment
        I know I'm one of the new guys, but for what it's worth, I have some ideas on the media/publicity end. We keep hearing about a resurgence of interest in vinyl. I recently read that vinyl sales have increased dramatically over the past few years. Most of this interest comes from twenty and thirty-something music lovers who are seeking a closer to connection to the music they love. And even though their equipment probably doesn't make those records sound any better than a 128 kbps AAC file, the enthusiasm is definitely out there. Now is the perfect time for RCAs to share our love for high end audio with the younger folks. If we're looking for more members, I believe the younger twenty and thirty-somethings would love to interact with the incredible range of audio expertise the RCAs currently hold. I personally was floored by the awesome presentations that Don and Luther did. I have been equally impressed with the insights and opinions provided by Alan, Bob, and some of the other senior members of RCAs.

        If we want to recruit some of those younger music enthusiasts, I'd suggest a couple of things. The first is web presence. Advertise the meetings on Facebook, Tumblr, and Reddit. In fact, Reddit has a really enthusiastic audiophile community, as well as a large San Antonio sub-reddit. Heck, RCAs could even have our own sub-reddit! Second, flyers posted around the local colleges, local record shops (like Hogwild Records), and maybe some of local watering holes (like Blue Star or Madhatters) would most certainly drum up some interest. Maybe one of the military base newspapers could feature RCAs... there are a lot of Air Force and Army comms guys in SA (who I'm sure would love to hear some tubes or build their own DAC). Maybe the San Antonio Current (a publication very much centered on music) might be willing to do an article on the RCAs. I stumbled upon RCAs accidentally while browsing the index of Stereophile. But as far as exposure is concerned, I think most music and audio lovers in San Antonio are reading local publications (like the Current) and hanging out on more active places on the web. At least that's my two cents.

        I work in Executive Communications and do a lot of graphic design work and writing. I'd be happy to assist with a flyer or any graphics-related stuff that the RCAs may need. In the past, I've designed flyers, t-shirts, coins, logos, and other graphics for the San Antonio Mustang Club and several military organizations. I'll be a bit tied up for the rest of the month with other projects, but I could devote more time to it later this summer and in the fall. Just let me know.

        -Bryant


        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
        >
        > Interesting........
        >
        > Well, let me chime in here......when we first started the club we asked for volunteers for certain functions and had a very  limited response. Don volunteered to be club photographer and has never missed a meeting, Luther stepped up and has done the web site work with yahoo......here is where I think we could use some help:
        >  
        >   Equipment Coordination for meetings: A coordinator who makes the phone calls and verifies we have all the components needed for a monthly meeting. We often have many members bringing in items and we always need a lot of back and forth to make sure we have everything needed. It takes a little time. Everyone needs to be contacted to be sure they have not changed plans or forgot a meeting is tomorrow...(it has happened).
        >
        >   Media/Publicity   Many people in San Antonio do not know we exit. We could use someone who would take some of Don's pictures and send them to the local newspaper for their community activities. Also brainstorm and develop other ways to publicize the club. A club information pamphlet is needed, I have started it but just seem to run out of time.
        >
        >   Preparation of materials: I would like to have a new member folder. It would have an information letter about the club/meetings and philosophy. Info about the web site. It would also have a few other items such as the Acoustic Audio catalog of fine recordings (provided free from Acoustic Audio), the Austin map of record stores and other good to have material. 
        >
        >    General assistance/Special Projects:   I often need help moving audio gear due to physical issues. So does John. Others may also as we are overall a "senior" club. Matt & Joe really helped me out this month. Unanticipated issues can up before meetings or even during meetings...i.e. new members show up and are not properly welcomed due to the absence of John or myself. New member coordinator?
        >
        > So, off the top of my head those are some "needs" I see that the club has. John and I work the larger issues regarding interactions with Bjorns, special events, product rep interaction etc. John may have some other thoughts as well and chime in later..
        >
        > We have the opportunity to grow the society if we have a few more activists and a little more involvement.  
        >
        > Finally, a word of caution. The previous audio clubs in San Antonio, Dallas and other areas have failed in recent years.  Usually due to the fact that 1 or 2 members did the majority of the work and when one got sick or left, or tired of little help, nobody would fill the void. Houston's club is strong since they have several individuals in addition to Sheri Morgenroth who do great work. I'm not suggesting anything here other than don't ignore history and that I want the RCAS to celebrate their 3rd, 5th, 10th, well you get it anniversary. Very few folks outside San Antonio expected us to survive over one year (I talk to a lot of people at other clubs & audio shows). We proved them wrong.
        >
        > Also, what do you guys think we need? Some of you have been in other groups. What can we do better? What ideas do you have? Nothing will hurt my feelings I am interested in the best courses of action for our society.
        >
        > Tx, Bob
        >
        >
        > ________________________________
        > From: Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...>
        > To: "rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>
        > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:29 PM
        > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
        >
        >
        >
        >  
        > Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Took me awhile. Sometimes nothing more complicated than helping others carry things around is a big help.  Joe Bohan
        >
        >
        > ________________________________
        > From: knickkev <Knickkev@...>
        > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
        > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:14 PM
        > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
        >
        >
        >
        >  
        >
        > BTW, I have been attending since February and can't be more happy joining the "society". Figuring out how I can contribute more going forward.
        >
        > Kevin
        > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@> wrote:
        > >
        > > RCAS Rocks! Both literally and figuratively! Matt pretty well said everything I was going to say, except thank you Luther for stepping up and putting on an awesome program! I know it was a major hassle bringing your rather large, and, I am sure, quite heavy open reel tape deck and also for sharing those incredible tapes with us. I heard quite a few tapes on quite a few machines “back in the day”, but none equaled what I heard from your system yesterday. I would also like to say a thank you to Joe Bohan for bringing his awesome Yamaha linear tracking turntable and new phono pre-amp. I had forgotten how good vinyl can sound under the right circumstances and you brought it all back, Joe. Of course Bob’s terrific integrated tube amp and those wonderful Focal monitors were a wonderful pairing with the other gear.
        > > Finally, the wonderfully tasty analog chocolate chip cookies that Matt provided just made it all the more special an event.
        > > One side note: it was mentioned at the meeting that Half Price Books now carries some NEW vinyl, so I decided to stop by the one on Bandera and 1604 on my way back from supper tonight. Sure enough, I found new 180 gram copy of Roy Orbison’s very first record, “Lonely and Blue”, for under $14.00, so I thought I would give it a try. Those of you who know me well, know I am not usually impressed with vinyl, especially on my old (25 years?) turntable, but I must say this album blew me away. It was the quietest, lowest surface noise record I think I have ever heard at any price and the frequency range was also terrific. If the other releases in this series are as high quality as this one, I might just be buying some more vinyl after a 30 year hiatus! Check it out and let me know which albums you bought and what you think.
        > >
        > > Don
        > >
        > > From: Matt
        > > Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:13 PM
        > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
        > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
        > >
        > >
        > >
        > > Luther, Bob, John, et all:
        > >
        > > It was great seeing everyone at the meeting yesterday.
        > >
        > > Luther, everyone I talked to thought the all-things-analog agenda was a perfect follow up to last month's equally awesome digital presentation by Don. The reel-to-reel presentation amazed. It felt like being present at the time of the recording; I heard the word, stunning used to describe it. Everyone I talked to thought it was a nice touch providing the general overview of the equipment side of things, and maintaining a focus on enjoying the music.
        > >
        > > Very nice member-provided musical selections!
        > >
        > > Luther, Bob and Joe, kudos goes to you for a wonderful sounding system.
        > >
        > > Bjorn's as always is a pleasant venue. Everyone seemed to like the room this time as it was isolated from customer traffic and suited for meetings like this one.
        > >
        > > Thank you, Bob and John for creating and spearheading the River City Audio Society as an outstanding forum for audio-related presentations, and activities in San Antonio. I keep saying it but it deserves to be said: San Antonio needs an RCAS.
        > >
        > > Again, it was great seeing everyone. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk and catch up. Everyone I talked to had a fun time. It was also nice to see first-time attendees.
        > >
        > > Luther, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and fun presentation. Thank you!
        > >
        > >
        > > ----Matt
        > >
        > > _____________________________________________________
        > >
        > > From: Robert <godzilla56@>
        > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
        > > Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:05 PM
        > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
        > >
        > >
        > > As I mentioned in my last post I was waiting for a confirmation before announcing the next scheduled RCAS meeting. For those new members who don't know the process and have asked me by email about such things the long and short of it is that we normally hold our quarterly meetings at Bjorns. However, this is never automatic and requires Bjorns to check their own special events and sales promotions to ensure they have the space for us. Other meetings or social get together events can be anywhere, anytime as members choose to open their homes. We have had great events when John, Matt, Ulises, Luther and I (apologies if I forgot anyone) have opened our homes in between general meetings. These events can be a pot luck, BBQ, Xmas party etc. The main thing is we like to get together in different settings to enjoy the fellowship and listen to different systems and new music. Members with smaller listening areas can limit the number of attendees (I believe
        > Alan has done this in the past). Flexibility is the key and I am happy to coordinate such events using this web site. Now, back to the July meeting information. Our last well attended meeting was slightly impacted by the changes made by Bjorns leading into our normal meeting room ( i.e. the replica house family room). We could hear customers and showroom demos while Don was having us listen critically to his hi resolution presentation. Not optimum. However, as we are guests of Bjorn's we can't lose sight of the fact that they are giving us a great venue for our meetings and we need to be cautious never to impact in a negative way on their business. So, for our mutual benefit, the July meeting will be in one of the "back" rooms where you normally find their blowout or discontinued items. We have used this area before and actually find the acoustics to be better suited for our purposes. I will also need some help moving equipment and loading it into my
        > SUV for the meeting. I am planning to leave my home (Bitters/Huebner area) at about 1130 as the setup this month will be a bit more complicated than usual. Volunteer(s) please? I believe Matt has already signed on but it is a lot of gear and stairs are involved. Another volunteer would be great so Matt or I don't end up like Tony Soprano (hold the wise comments Don!) Since the "flavor" for July is analog it would be great if someone could bring a really good turntable also. We have the speakers, stands,cables, integrated amp, master tapes and a studio recorder all secured. A good table might be fun so we can also hear some of the latest audiophile records.......no digital this meeting! That's about it for this rather long post. Individual reminders for the meeting will be sent out the week before 20 July along with a description of the system we will be using. See everyone soon, Bob
        > >
        >
      • wardsweb
        Byant - Thanks for the input. You have some great suggestions for getting the word out. Yes, reaching a younger crowd would be nice and I appreciate your offer
        Message 3 of 25 , Jul 24, 2013
        • 0 Attachment
          Byant - Thanks for the input. You have some great suggestions for getting the word out. Yes, reaching a younger crowd would be nice and I appreciate your offer to help with some graphics to that end.

          Our presence on the web is weak at best. Besides this Yahoo group did you know we also have a web site? http://www.rivercityaudiosociety.com/

          We also have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/River-City-Audio-Society/173131562708402

          Our problem is keeping sites up to date and relevant for the search engines to index. Without someone dedicated to maintaining the sites, they quickly become outdated. I've run web sites and forums for over a decade and know the amount of work it takes. It really needs a team of people, otherwise one person can be buried or burnt out quickly.

          Anyone else have something to add?

          Luther
        • redbeemer01
          Hi, Luther: Good points and suggestions by both. Just wondering if you got the pictures you requested of the Oppo s? I sent them last night. Don
          Message 4 of 25 , Jul 24, 2013
          • 0 Attachment
            Hi, Luther:

            Good points and suggestions by both.
            Just wondering if you got the pictures you requested of the Oppo's? I sent them last night.

            Don
            ---- wardsweb <wardsweb@...> wrote:
            > Byant - Thanks for the input. You have some great suggestions for getting the word out. Yes, reaching a younger crowd would be nice and I appreciate your offer to help with some graphics to that end.
            >
            > Our presence on the web is weak at best. Besides this Yahoo group did you know we also have a web site? http://www.rivercityaudiosociety.com/
            >
            > We also have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/River-City-Audio-Society/173131562708402
            >
            > Our problem is keeping sites up to date and relevant for the search engines to index. Without someone dedicated to maintaining the sites, they quickly become outdated. I've run web sites and forums for over a decade and know the amount of work it takes. It really needs a team of people, otherwise one person can be buried or burnt out quickly.
            >
            > Anyone else have something to add?
            >
            > Luther
            >
            >
            >
          • Robert Guerin
            Bryant,  We could use your help in a number of the areas you mentioned (i.e. flyer/email blast/club pamphlet). Our listing in Stereophile was due to my
            Message 5 of 25 , Jul 24, 2013
            • 0 Attachment
              Bryant, 

              We could use your help in a number of the areas you mentioned (i.e. flyer/email blast/club pamphlet). Our listing in Stereophile was due to my efforts, so I am glad that you saw us there. I have found that all these things are time intensive and while I invest as much time as I can (as does John) there is only so much we can do without this becoming too much. We also go out of pocket for just about everything (not to complain...just a reality) but we are a no dues group currently. So we are a bare bones operation needing a volunteer core if we want to grow, and that is our objective here.

              So, when you do have the time, please give me a call or an email and we can get together and flesh out these projects.

              Thank you for your comments,

              Bob


              From: varneysa1 <varneysa@...>
              To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:51 AM
              Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM

               
              I know I'm one of the new guys, but for what it's worth, I have some ideas on the media/publicity end. We keep hearing about a resurgence of interest in vinyl. I recently read that vinyl sales have increased dramatically over the past few years. Most of this interest comes from twenty and thirty-something music lovers who are seeking a closer to connection to the music they love. And even though their equipment probably doesn't make those records sound any better than a 128 kbps AAC file, the enthusiasm is definitely out there. Now is the perfect time for RCAs to share our love for high end audio with the younger folks. If we're looking for more members, I believe the younger twenty and thirty-somethings would love to interact with the incredible range of audio expertise the RCAs currently hold. I personally was floored by the awesome presentations that Don and Luther did. I have been equally impressed with the insights and opinions provided by Alan, Bob, and some of the other senior members of RCAs.

              If we want to recruit some of those younger music enthusiasts, I'd suggest a couple of things. The first is web presence. Advertise the meetings on Facebook, Tumblr, and Reddit. In fact, Reddit has a really enthusiastic audiophile community, as well as a large San Antonio sub-reddit. Heck, RCAs could even have our own sub-reddit! Second, flyers posted around the local colleges, local record shops (like Hogwild Records), and maybe some of local watering holes (like Blue Star or Madhatters) would most certainly drum up some interest. Maybe one of the military base newspapers could feature RCAs... there are a lot of Air Force and Army comms guys in SA (who I'm sure would love to hear some tubes or build their own DAC). Maybe the San Antonio Current (a publication very much centered on music) might be willing to do an article on the RCAs. I stumbled upon RCAs accidentally while browsing the index of Stereophile. But as far as exposure is concerned, I think most music and audio lovers in San Antonio are reading local publications (like the Current) and hanging out on more active places on the web. At least that's my two cents.

              I work in Executive Communications and do a lot of graphic design work and writing. I'd be happy to assist with a flyer or any graphics-related stuff that the RCAs may need. In the past, I've designed flyers, t-shirts, coins, logos, and other graphics for the San Antonio Mustang Club and several military organizations. I'll be a bit tied up for the rest of the month with other projects, but I could devote more time to it later this summer and in the fall. Just let me know.

              -Bryant

              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
              >
              > Interesting........
              >
              > Well, let me chime in here......when we first started the club we asked for volunteers for certain functions and had a very  limited response. Don volunteered to be club photographer and has never missed a meeting, Luther stepped up and has done the web site work with yahoo......here is where I think we could use some help:
              >  
              >   Equipment Coordination for meetings: A coordinator who makes the phone calls and verifies we have all the components needed for a monthly meeting. We often have many members bringing in items and we always need a lot of back and forth to make sure we have everything needed. It takes a little time. Everyone needs to be contacted to be sure they have not changed plans or forgot a meeting is tomorrow...(it has happened).
              >
              >   Media/Publicity   Many people in San Antonio do not know we exit. We could use someone who would take some of Don's pictures and send them to the local newspaper for their community activities. Also brainstorm and develop other ways to publicize the club. A club information pamphlet is needed, I have started it but just seem to run out of time.
              >
              >   Preparation of materials: I would like to have a new member folder. It would have an information letter about the club/meetings and philosophy. Info about the web site. It would also have a few other items such as the Acoustic Audio catalog of fine recordings (provided free from Acoustic Audio), the Austin map of record stores and other good to have material. 
              >
              >    General assistance/Special Projects:   I often need help moving audio gear due to physical issues. So does John. Others may also as we are overall a "senior" club. Matt & Joe really helped me out this month. Unanticipated issues can up before meetings or even during meetings...i.e. new members show up and are not properly welcomed due to the absence of John or myself. New member coordinator?
              >
              > So, off the top of my head those are some "needs" I see that the club has. John and I work the larger issues regarding interactions with Bjorns, special events, product rep interaction etc. John may have some other thoughts as well and chime in later..
              >
              > We have the opportunity to grow the society if we have a few more activists and a little more involvement.  
              >
              > Finally, a word of caution. The previous audio clubs in San Antonio, Dallas and other areas have failed in recent years.  Usually due to the fact that 1 or 2 members did the majority of the work and when one got sick or left, or tired of little help, nobody would fill the void. Houston's club is strong since they have several individuals in addition to Sheri Morgenroth who do great work. I'm not suggesting anything here other than don't ignore history and that I want the RCAS to celebrate their 3rd, 5th, 10th, well you get it anniversary. Very few folks outside San Antonio expected us to survive over one year (I talk to a lot of people at other clubs & audio shows). We proved them wrong.
              >
              > Also, what do you guys think we need? Some of you have been in other groups. What can we do better? What ideas do you have? Nothing will hurt my feelings I am interested in the best courses of action for our society.
              >
              > Tx, Bob
              >
              >
              > ________________________________
              > From: Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...>
              > To: "rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>
              > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:29 PM
              > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
              >
              >
              >
              >  
              > Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Took me awhile. Sometimes nothing more complicated than helping others carry things around is a big help.  Joe Bohan
              >
              >
              > ________________________________
              > From: knickkev <Knickkev@...>
              > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:14 PM
              > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
              >
              >
              >
              >  
              >
              > BTW, I have been attending since February and can't be more happy joining the "society". Figuring out how I can contribute more going forward.
              >
              > Kevin
              > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@> wrote:
              > >
              > > RCAS Rocks! Both literally and figuratively! Matt pretty well said everything I was going to say, except thank you Luther for stepping up and putting on an awesome program! I know it was a major hassle bringing your rather large, and, I am sure, quite heavy open reel tape deck and also for sharing those incredible tapes with us. I heard quite a few tapes on quite a few machines “back in the day”, but none equaled what I heard from your system yesterday. I would also like to say a thank you to Joe Bohan for bringing his awesome Yamaha linear tracking turntable and new phono pre-amp. I had forgotten how good vinyl can sound under the right circumstances and you brought it all back, Joe. Of course Bob’s terrific integrated tube amp and those wonderful Focal monitors were a wonderful pairing with the other gear.
              > > Finally, the wonderfully tasty analog chocolate chip cookies that Matt provided just made it all the more special an event.
              > > One side note: it was mentioned at the meeting that Half Price Books now carries some NEW vinyl, so I decided to stop by the one on Bandera and 1604 on my way back from supper tonight. Sure enough, I found new 180 gram copy of Roy Orbison’s very first record, “Lonely and Blue”, for under $14.00, so I thought I would give it a try. Those of you who know me well, know I am not usually impressed with vinyl, especially on my old (25 years?) turntable, but I must say this album blew me away. It was the quietest, lowest surface noise record I think I have ever heard at any price and the frequency range was also terrific. If the other releases in this series are as high quality as this one, I might just be buying some more vinyl after a 30 year hiatus! Check it out and let me know which albums you bought and what you think.
              > >
              > > Don
              > >
              > > From: Matt
              > > Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:13 PM
              > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
              > >
              > >
              > >
              > > Luther, Bob, John, et all:
              > >
              > > It was great seeing everyone at the meeting yesterday.
              > >
              > > Luther, everyone I talked to thought the all-things-analog agenda was a perfect follow up to last month's equally awesome digital presentation by Don. The reel-to-reel presentation amazed. It felt like being present at the time of the recording; I heard the word, stunning used to describe it. Everyone I talked to thought it was a nice touch providing the general overview of the equipment side of things, and maintaining a focus on enjoying the music.
              > >
              > > Very nice member-provided musical selections!
              > >
              > > Luther, Bob and Joe, kudos goes to you for a wonderful sounding system.
              > >
              > > Bjorn's as always is a pleasant venue. Everyone seemed to like the room this time as it was isolated from customer traffic and suited for meetings like this one.
              > >
              > > Thank you, Bob and John for creating and spearheading the River City Audio Society as an outstanding forum for audio-related presentations, and activities in San Antonio. I keep saying it but it deserves to be said: San Antonio needs an RCAS.
              > >
              > > Again, it was great seeing everyone. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk and catch up. Everyone I talked to had a fun time. It was also nice to see first-time attendees.
              > >
              > > Luther, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and fun presentation. Thank you!
              > >
              > >
              > > ----Matt
              > >
              > > _____________________________________________________
              > >
              > > From: Robert <godzilla56@>
              > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
              > > Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:05 PM
              > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
              > >
              > >
              > > As I mentioned in my last post I was waiting for a confirmation before announcing the next scheduled RCAS meeting. For those new members who don't know the process and have asked me by email about such things the long and short of it is that we normally hold our quarterly meetings at Bjorns. However, this is never automatic and requires Bjorns to check their own special events and sales promotions to ensure they have the space for us. Other meetings or social get together events can be anywhere, anytime as members choose to open their homes. We have had great events when John, Matt, Ulises, Luther and I (apologies if I forgot anyone) have opened our homes in between general meetings. These events can be a pot luck, BBQ, Xmas party etc. The main thing is we like to get together in different settings to enjoy the fellowship and listen to different systems and new music. Members with smaller listening areas can limit the number of attendees (I believe
              > Alan has done this in the past). Flexibility is the key and I am happy to coordinate such events using this web site. Now, back to the July meeting information. Our last well attended meeting was slightly impacted by the changes made by Bjorns leading into our normal meeting room ( i.e. the replica house family room). We could hear customers and showroom demos while Don was having us listen critically to his hi resolution presentation. Not optimum. However, as we are guests of Bjorn's we can't lose sight of the fact that they are giving us a great venue for our meetings and we need to be cautious never to impact in a negative way on their business. So, for our mutual benefit, the July meeting will be in one of the "back" rooms where you normally find their blowout or discontinued items. We have used this area before and actually find the acoustics to be better suited for our purposes. I will also need some help moving equipment and loading it into my
              > SUV for the meeting. I am planning to leave my home (Bitters/Huebner area) at about 1130 as the setup this month will be a bit more complicated than usual. Volunteer(s) please? I believe Matt has already signed on but it is a lot of gear and stairs are involved. Another volunteer would be great so Matt or I don't end up like Tony Soprano (hold the wise comments Don!) Since the "flavor" for July is analog it would be great if someone could bring a really good turntable also. We have the speakers, stands,cables, integrated amp, master tapes and a studio recorder all secured. A good table might be fun so we can also hear some of the latest audiophile records.......no digital this meeting! That's about it for this rather long post. Individual reminders for the meeting will be sent out the week before 20 July along with a description of the system we will be using. See everyone soon, Bob
              > >
              >



            • varneysa1
              Luther, I was unaware of the website and facebook page, thanks for informing me. I Googled RCAs last night and pretty much just got the Yahoo Group. I agree,
              Message 6 of 25 , Jul 25, 2013
              • 0 Attachment
                Luther,

                I was unaware of the website and facebook page, thanks for informing me. I Googled RCAs last night and pretty much just got the Yahoo Group. I agree, maintaining a website is a ton of work. But I think the Yahoo group works just fine (it's first link that comes up on Google), we just need to make people aware of it (and the club). Local outreach and publicizing things on the right websites will probably drive membership more than a flashy website anyway. Like I said, the Stereophile link is what informed me, but the link is kind of hidden on their website. I believe a better web resource for publicizing the club will be social media oriented sites, especially ones with user-driven content like Reddit or Tumblr. They could help us expose the club to the right people here in the SA community. I'm not a public affairs expert or anything, but I'd certainly be happy to work with you in the days ahead to help publicize the RCAs a bit.

                -Bryant


                --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "wardsweb" <wardsweb@...> wrote:
                >
                > Byant - Thanks for the input. You have some great suggestions for getting the word out. Yes, reaching a younger crowd would be nice and I appreciate your offer to help with some graphics to that end.
                >
                > Our presence on the web is weak at best. Besides this Yahoo group did you know we also have a web site? http://www.rivercityaudiosociety.com/
                >
                > We also have a Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/River-City-Audio-Society/173131562708402
                >
                > Our problem is keeping sites up to date and relevant for the search engines to index. Without someone dedicated to maintaining the sites, they quickly become outdated. I've run web sites and forums for over a decade and know the amount of work it takes. It really needs a team of people, otherwise one person can be buried or burnt out quickly.
                >
                > Anyone else have something to add?
                >
                > Luther
                >
              • varneysa1
                Bob, I ll be happy to contribute in any way I can. I m nowhere near the point where I could put on one of those awesome presentations at the RCAs meetings,
                Message 7 of 25 , Jul 25, 2013
                • 0 Attachment
                  Bob,

                  I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can. I'm nowhere near the point where I could put on one of those awesome presentations at the RCAs meetings, but artwork and graphics is something I've done my whole life. When my schedule clears up in the weeks ahead, I'll get in touch with you and we can start working it.

                  -Bryant



                  --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:
                  >
                  > Bryant, 
                  >
                  > We could use your help in a number of the areas you mentioned (i.e. flyer/email blast/club pamphlet). Our listing in Stereophile was due to my efforts, so I am glad that you saw us there. I have found that all these things are time intensive and while I invest as much time as I can (as does John) there is only so much we can do without this becoming too much. We also go out of pocket for just about everything (not to complain...just a reality) but we are a no dues group currently. So we are a bare bones operation needing a volunteer core if we want to grow, and that is our objective here.
                  >
                  > So, when you do have the time, please give me a call or an email and we can get together and flesh out these projects.
                  >
                  > Thank you for your comments,
                  >
                  > Bob
                  >
                  >
                  > ________________________________
                  > From: varneysa1 <varneysa@...>
                  > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                  > Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:51 AM
                  > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                  >
                  >
                  >
                  >  
                  > I know I'm one of the new guys, but for what it's worth, I have some ideas on the media/publicity end. We keep hearing about a resurgence of interest in vinyl. I recently read that vinyl sales have increased dramatically over the past few years. Most of this interest comes from twenty and thirty-something music lovers who are seeking a closer to connection to the music they love. And even though their equipment probably doesn't make those records sound any better than a 128 kbps AAC file, the enthusiasm is definitely out there. Now is the perfect time for RCAs to share our love for high end audio with the younger folks. If we're looking for more members, I believe the younger twenty and thirty-somethings would love to interact with the incredible range of audio expertise the RCAs currently hold. I personally was floored by the awesome presentations that Don and Luther did. I have been equally impressed with the insights and opinions provided by
                  > Alan, Bob, and some of the other senior members of RCAs.
                  >
                  > If we want to recruit some of those younger music enthusiasts, I'd suggest a couple of things. The first is web presence. Advertise the meetings on Facebook, Tumblr, and Reddit. In fact, Reddit has a really enthusiastic audiophile community, as well as a large San Antonio sub-reddit. Heck, RCAs could even have our own sub-reddit! Second, flyers posted around the local colleges, local record shops (like Hogwild Records), and maybe some of local watering holes (like Blue Star or Madhatters) would most certainly drum up some interest. Maybe one of the military base newspapers could feature RCAs... there are a lot of Air Force and Army comms guys in SA (who I'm sure would love to hear some tubes or build their own DAC). Maybe the San Antonio Current (a publication very much centered on music) might be willing to do an article on the RCAs. I stumbled upon RCAs accidentally while browsing the index of Stereophile. But as far as exposure is concerned,
                  > I think most music and audio lovers in San Antonio are reading local publications (like the Current) and hanging out on more active places on the web. At least that's my two cents.
                  >
                  > I work in Executive Communications and do a lot of graphic design work and writing. I'd be happy to assist with a flyer or any graphics-related stuff that the RCAs may need. In the past, I've designed flyers, t-shirts, coins, logos, and other graphics for the San Antonio Mustang Club and several military organizations. I'll be a bit tied up for the rest of the month with other projects, but I could devote more time to it later this summer and in the fall. Just let me know.
                  >
                  > -Bryant
                  >
                  > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > Interesting........
                  > >
                  > > Well, let me chime in here......when we first started the club we asked for volunteers for certain functions and had a very  limited response. Don volunteered to be club photographer and has never missed a meeting, Luther stepped up and has done the web site work with yahoo......here is where I think we could use some help:
                  > >  
                  > >   Equipment Coordination for meetings: A coordinator who makes the phone calls and verifies we have all the components needed for a monthly meeting. We often have many members bringing in items and we always need a lot of back and forth to make sure we have everything needed. It takes a little time. Everyone needs to be contacted to be sure they have not changed plans or forgot a meeting is tomorrow...(it has happened).
                  > >
                  > >   Media/Publicity   Many people in San Antonio do not know we exit. We could use someone who would take some of Don's pictures and send them to the local newspaper for their community activities. Also brainstorm and develop other ways to publicize the club. A club information pamphlet is needed, I have started it but just seem to run out of time.
                  > >
                  > >   Preparation of materials: I would like to have a new member folder. It would have an information letter about the club/meetings and philosophy. Info about the web site. It would also have a few other items such as the Acoustic Audio catalog of fine recordings (provided free from Acoustic Audio), the Austin map of record stores and other good to have material. 
                  > >
                  > >    General assistance/Special Projects:   I often need help moving audio gear due to physical issues. So does John. Others may also as we are overall a "senior" club. Matt & Joe really helped me out this month. Unanticipated issues can up before meetings or even during meetings...i.e. new members show up and are not properly welcomed due to the absence of John or myself. New member coordinator?
                  > >
                  > > So, off the top of my head those are some "needs" I see that the club has. John and I work the larger issues regarding interactions with Bjorns, special events, product rep interaction etc. John may have some other thoughts as well and chime in later..
                  > >
                  > > We have the opportunity to grow the society if we have a few more activists and a little more involvement.  
                  > >
                  > > Finally, a word of caution. The previous audio clubs in San Antonio, Dallas and other areas have failed in recent years.  Usually due to the fact that 1 or 2 members did the majority of the work and when one got sick or left, or tired of little help, nobody would fill the void. Houston's club is strong since they have several individuals in addition to Sheri Morgenroth who do great work. I'm not suggesting anything here other than don't ignore history and that I want the RCAS to celebrate their 3rd, 5th, 10th, well you get it anniversary. Very few folks outside San Antonio expected us to survive over one year (I talk to a lot of people at other clubs & audio shows). We proved them wrong.
                  > >
                  > > Also, what do you guys think we need? Some of you have been in other groups. What can we do better? What ideas do you have? Nothing will hurt my feelings I am interested in the best courses of action for our society.
                  > >
                  > > Tx, Bob
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > ________________________________
                  > > From: Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@>
                  > > To: "rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>
                  > > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:29 PM
                  > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >  
                  > > Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Took me awhile. Sometimes nothing more complicated than helping others carry things around is a big help.  Joe Bohan
                  > >
                  > >
                  > > ________________________________
                  > > From: knickkev <Knickkev@>
                  > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                  > > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:14 PM
                  > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >
                  > >  
                  > >
                  > > BTW, I have been attending since February and can't be more happy joining the "society". Figuring out how I can contribute more going forward.
                  > >
                  > > Kevin
                  > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > RCAS Rocks! Both literally and figuratively! Matt pretty well said everything I was going to say, except thank you Luther for stepping up and putting on an awesome program! I know it was a major hassle bringing your rather large, and, I am sure, quite heavy open reel tape deck and also for sharing those incredible tapes with us. I heard quite a few tapes on quite a few machines “back in the day”, but none equaled what I heard from your system yesterday. I would also like to say a thank you to Joe Bohan for bringing his awesome Yamaha linear tracking turntable and new phono pre-amp. I had forgotten how good vinyl can sound under the right circumstances and you brought it all back, Joe. Of course Bob’s terrific integrated tube amp and those wonderful Focal monitors were a wonderful pairing with the other gear.
                  > > > Finally, the wonderfully tasty analog chocolate chip cookies that Matt provided just made it all the more special an event.
                  > > > One side note: it was mentioned at the meeting that Half Price Books now carries some NEW vinyl, so I decided to stop by the one on Bandera and 1604 on my way back from supper tonight. Sure enough, I found new 180 gram copy of Roy Orbison’s very first record, “Lonely and Blue”, for under $14.00, so I thought I would give it a try. Those of you who know me well, know I am not usually impressed with vinyl, especially on my old (25 years?) turntable, but I must say this album blew me away. It was the quietest, lowest surface noise record I think I have ever heard at any price and the frequency range was also terrific. If the other releases in this series are as high quality as this one, I might just be buying some more vinyl after a 30 year hiatus! Check it out and let me know which albums you bought and what you think.
                  > > >
                  > > > Don
                  > > >
                  > > > From: Matt
                  > > > Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:13 PM
                  > > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > Luther, Bob, John, et all:
                  > > >
                  > > > It was great seeing everyone at the meeting yesterday.
                  > > >
                  > > > Luther, everyone I talked to thought the all-things-analog agenda was a perfect follow up to last month's equally awesome digital presentation by Don. The reel-to-reel presentation amazed. It felt like being present at the time of the recording; I heard the word, stunning used to describe it. Everyone I talked to thought it was a nice touch providing the general overview of the equipment side of things, and maintaining a focus on enjoying the music.
                  > > >
                  > > > Very nice member-provided musical selections!
                  > > >
                  > > > Luther, Bob and Joe, kudos goes to you for a wonderful sounding system.
                  > > >
                  > > > Bjorn's as always is a pleasant venue. Everyone seemed to like the room this time as it was isolated from customer traffic and suited for meetings like this one.
                  > > >
                  > > > Thank you, Bob and John for creating and spearheading the River City Audio Society as an outstanding forum for audio-related presentations, and activities in San Antonio. I keep saying it but it deserves to be said: San Antonio needs an RCAS.
                  > > >
                  > > > Again, it was great seeing everyone. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk and catch up. Everyone I talked to had a fun time. It was also nice to see first-time attendees.
                  > > >
                  > > > Luther, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and fun presentation. Thank you!
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > ----Matt
                  > > >
                  > > > _____________________________________________________
                  > > >
                  > > > From: Robert <godzilla56@>
                  > > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                  > > > Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:05 PM
                  > > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                  > > >
                  > > >
                  > > > As I mentioned in my last post I was waiting for a confirmation before announcing the next scheduled RCAS meeting. For those new members who don't know the process and have asked me by email about such things the long and short of it is that we normally hold our quarterly meetings at Bjorns. However, this is never automatic and requires Bjorns to check their own special events and sales promotions to ensure they have the space for us. Other meetings or social get together events can be anywhere, anytime as members choose to open their homes. We have had great events when John, Matt, Ulises, Luther and I (apologies if I forgot anyone) have opened our homes in between general meetings. These events can be a pot luck, BBQ, Xmas party etc. The main thing is we like to get together in different settings to enjoy the fellowship and listen to different systems and new music. Members with smaller listening areas can limit the number of attendees (I believe
                  > > Alan has done this in the past). Flexibility is the key and I am happy to coordinate such events using this web site. Now, back to the July meeting information. Our last well attended meeting was slightly impacted by the changes made by Bjorns leading into our normal meeting room ( i.e. the replica house family room). We could hear customers and showroom demos while Don was having us listen critically to his hi resolution presentation. Not optimum. However, as we are guests of Bjorn's we can't lose sight of the fact that they are giving us a great venue for our meetings and we need to be cautious never to impact in a negative way on their business. So, for our mutual benefit, the July meeting will be in one of the "back" rooms where you normally find their blowout or discontinued items. We have used this area before and actually find the acoustics to be better suited for our purposes. I will also need some help moving equipment and loading it into my
                  > > SUV for the meeting. I am planning to leave my home (Bitters/Huebner area) at about 1130 as the setup this month will be a bit more complicated than usual. Volunteer(s) please? I believe Matt has already signed on but it is a lot of gear and stairs are involved. Another volunteer would be great so Matt or I don't end up like Tony Soprano (hold the wise comments Don!) Since the "flavor" for July is analog it would be great if someone could bring a really good turntable also. We have the speakers, stands,cables, integrated amp, master tapes and a studio recorder all secured. A good table might be fun so we can also hear some of the latest audiophile records.......no digital this meeting! That's about it for this rather long post. Individual reminders for the meeting will be sent out the week before 20 July along with a description of the system we will be using. See everyone soon, Bob
                  > > >
                  > >
                  >
                • Robert
                  That s great Bryant. We have a lot of subject area experts here and in Austin & Houston to help out with the technical presentations.....our needs are more
                  Message 8 of 25 , Jul 25, 2013
                  • 0 Attachment
                    That's great Bryant. We have a lot of subject area experts here and in Austin & Houston to help out with the technical presentations.....our needs are more behind the scenes, and the items you have mentioned are at the top of that list. Thanks again and we'll talk soon.
                    Bob

                    --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "varneysa1" <varneysa@...> wrote:
                    >
                    > Bob,
                    >
                    > I'll be happy to contribute in any way I can. I'm nowhere near the point where I could put on one of those awesome presentations at the RCAs meetings, but artwork and graphics is something I've done my whole life. When my schedule clears up in the weeks ahead, I'll get in touch with you and we can start working it.
                    >
                    > -Bryant
                    >
                    >
                    >
                    > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > Bryant, 
                    > >
                    > > We could use your help in a number of the areas you mentioned (i.e. flyer/email blast/club pamphlet). Our listing in Stereophile was due to my efforts, so I am glad that you saw us there. I have found that all these things are time intensive and while I invest as much time as I can (as does John) there is only so much we can do without this becoming too much. We also go out of pocket for just about everything (not to complain...just a reality) but we are a no dues group currently. So we are a bare bones operation needing a volunteer core if we want to grow, and that is our objective here.
                    > >
                    > > So, when you do have the time, please give me a call or an email and we can get together and flesh out these projects.
                    > >
                    > > Thank you for your comments,
                    > >
                    > > Bob
                    > >
                    > >
                    > > ________________________________
                    > > From: varneysa1 <varneysa@>
                    > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                    > > Sent: Wednesday, July 24, 2013 9:51 AM
                    > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >
                    > >  
                    > > I know I'm one of the new guys, but for what it's worth, I have some ideas on the media/publicity end. We keep hearing about a resurgence of interest in vinyl. I recently read that vinyl sales have increased dramatically over the past few years. Most of this interest comes from twenty and thirty-something music lovers who are seeking a closer to connection to the music they love. And even though their equipment probably doesn't make those records sound any better than a 128 kbps AAC file, the enthusiasm is definitely out there. Now is the perfect time for RCAs to share our love for high end audio with the younger folks. If we're looking for more members, I believe the younger twenty and thirty-somethings would love to interact with the incredible range of audio expertise the RCAs currently hold. I personally was floored by the awesome presentations that Don and Luther did. I have been equally impressed with the insights and opinions provided by
                    > > Alan, Bob, and some of the other senior members of RCAs.
                    > >
                    > > If we want to recruit some of those younger music enthusiasts, I'd suggest a couple of things. The first is web presence. Advertise the meetings on Facebook, Tumblr, and Reddit. In fact, Reddit has a really enthusiastic audiophile community, as well as a large San Antonio sub-reddit. Heck, RCAs could even have our own sub-reddit! Second, flyers posted around the local colleges, local record shops (like Hogwild Records), and maybe some of local watering holes (like Blue Star or Madhatters) would most certainly drum up some interest. Maybe one of the military base newspapers could feature RCAs... there are a lot of Air Force and Army comms guys in SA (who I'm sure would love to hear some tubes or build their own DAC). Maybe the San Antonio Current (a publication very much centered on music) might be willing to do an article on the RCAs. I stumbled upon RCAs accidentally while browsing the index of Stereophile. But as far as exposure is concerned,
                    > > I think most music and audio lovers in San Antonio are reading local publications (like the Current) and hanging out on more active places on the web. At least that's my two cents.
                    > >
                    > > I work in Executive Communications and do a lot of graphic design work and writing. I'd be happy to assist with a flyer or any graphics-related stuff that the RCAs may need. In the past, I've designed flyers, t-shirts, coins, logos, and other graphics for the San Antonio Mustang Club and several military organizations. I'll be a bit tied up for the rest of the month with other projects, but I could devote more time to it later this summer and in the fall. Just let me know.
                    > >
                    > > -Bryant
                    > >
                    > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Interesting........
                    > > >
                    > > > Well, let me chime in here......when we first started the club we asked for volunteers for certain functions and had a very  limited response. Don volunteered to be club photographer and has never missed a meeting, Luther stepped up and has done the web site work with yahoo......here is where I think we could use some help:
                    > > >  
                    > > >   Equipment Coordination for meetings: A coordinator who makes the phone calls and verifies we have all the components needed for a monthly meeting. We often have many members bringing in items and we always need a lot of back and forth to make sure we have everything needed. It takes a little time. Everyone needs to be contacted to be sure they have not changed plans or forgot a meeting is tomorrow...(it has happened).
                    > > >
                    > > >   Media/Publicity   Many people in San Antonio do not know we exit. We could use someone who would take some of Don's pictures and send them to the local newspaper for their community activities. Also brainstorm and develop other ways to publicize the club. A club information pamphlet is needed, I have started it but just seem to run out of time.
                    > > >
                    > > >   Preparation of materials: I would like to have a new member folder. It would have an information letter about the club/meetings and philosophy. Info about the web site. It would also have a few other items such as the Acoustic Audio catalog of fine recordings (provided free from Acoustic Audio), the Austin map of record stores and other good to have material. 
                    > > >
                    > > >    General assistance/Special Projects:   I often need help moving audio gear due to physical issues. So does John. Others may also as we are overall a "senior" club. Matt & Joe really helped me out this month. Unanticipated issues can up before meetings or even during meetings...i.e. new members show up and are not properly welcomed due to the absence of John or myself. New member coordinator?
                    > > >
                    > > > So, off the top of my head those are some "needs" I see that the club has. John and I work the larger issues regarding interactions with Bjorns, special events, product rep interaction etc. John may have some other thoughts as well and chime in later..
                    > > >
                    > > > We have the opportunity to grow the society if we have a few more activists and a little more involvement.  
                    > > >
                    > > > Finally, a word of caution. The previous audio clubs in San Antonio, Dallas and other areas have failed in recent years.  Usually due to the fact that 1 or 2 members did the majority of the work and when one got sick or left, or tired of little help, nobody would fill the void. Houston's club is strong since they have several individuals in addition to Sheri Morgenroth who do great work. I'm not suggesting anything here other than don't ignore history and that I want the RCAS to celebrate their 3rd, 5th, 10th, well you get it anniversary. Very few folks outside San Antonio expected us to survive over one year (I talk to a lot of people at other clubs & audio shows). We proved them wrong.
                    > > >
                    > > > Also, what do you guys think we need? Some of you have been in other groups. What can we do better? What ideas do you have? Nothing will hurt my feelings I am interested in the best courses of action for our society.
                    > > >
                    > > > Tx, Bob
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > > ________________________________
                    > > > From: Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@>
                    > > > To: "rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com" <rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com>
                    > > > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 9:29 PM
                    > > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > >  
                    > > > Don't worry, you'll figure it out. Took me awhile. Sometimes nothing more complicated than helping others carry things around is a big help.  Joe Bohan
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > > ________________________________
                    > > > From: knickkev <Knickkev@>
                    > > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > Sent: Monday, July 22, 2013 6:14 PM
                    > > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > >
                    > > >  
                    > > >
                    > > > BTW, I have been attending since February and can't be more happy joining the "society". Figuring out how I can contribute more going forward.
                    > > >
                    > > > Kevin
                    > > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@> wrote:
                    > > > >
                    > > > > RCAS Rocks! Both literally and figuratively! Matt pretty well said everything I was going to say, except thank you Luther for stepping up and putting on an awesome program! I know it was a major hassle bringing your rather large, and, I am sure, quite heavy open reel tape deck and also for sharing those incredible tapes with us. I heard quite a few tapes on quite a few machines “back in the day”, but none equaled what I heard from your system yesterday. I would also like to say a thank you to Joe Bohan for bringing his awesome Yamaha linear tracking turntable and new phono pre-amp. I had forgotten how good vinyl can sound under the right circumstances and you brought it all back, Joe. Of course Bob’s terrific integrated tube amp and those wonderful Focal monitors were a wonderful pairing with the other gear.
                    > > > > Finally, the wonderfully tasty analog chocolate chip cookies that Matt provided just made it all the more special an event.
                    > > > > One side note: it was mentioned at the meeting that Half Price Books now carries some NEW vinyl, so I decided to stop by the one on Bandera and 1604 on my way back from supper tonight. Sure enough, I found new 180 gram copy of Roy Orbison’s very first record, “Lonely and Blue”, for under $14.00, so I thought I would give it a try. Those of you who know me well, know I am not usually impressed with vinyl, especially on my old (25 years?) turntable, but I must say this album blew me away. It was the quietest, lowest surface noise record I think I have ever heard at any price and the frequency range was also terrific. If the other releases in this series are as high quality as this one, I might just be buying some more vinyl after a 30 year hiatus! Check it out and let me know which albums you bought and what you think.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Don
                    > > > >
                    > > > > From: Matt
                    > > > > Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2013 12:13 PM
                    > > > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                    > > > >
                    > > > >
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Luther, Bob, John, et all:
                    > > > >
                    > > > > It was great seeing everyone at the meeting yesterday.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Luther, everyone I talked to thought the all-things-analog agenda was a perfect follow up to last month's equally awesome digital presentation by Don. The reel-to-reel presentation amazed. It felt like being present at the time of the recording; I heard the word, stunning used to describe it. Everyone I talked to thought it was a nice touch providing the general overview of the equipment side of things, and maintaining a focus on enjoying the music.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Very nice member-provided musical selections!
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Luther, Bob and Joe, kudos goes to you for a wonderful sounding system.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Bjorn's as always is a pleasant venue. Everyone seemed to like the room this time as it was isolated from customer traffic and suited for meetings like this one.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Thank you, Bob and John for creating and spearheading the River City Audio Society as an outstanding forum for audio-related presentations, and activities in San Antonio. I keep saying it but it deserves to be said: San Antonio needs an RCAS.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Again, it was great seeing everyone. I enjoyed the opportunity to talk and catch up. Everyone I talked to had a fun time. It was also nice to see first-time attendees.
                    > > > >
                    > > > > Luther, it was a thoroughly enjoyable and fun presentation. Thank you!
                    > > > >
                    > > > >
                    > > > > ----Matt
                    > > > >
                    > > > > _____________________________________________________
                    > > > >
                    > > > > From: Robert <godzilla56@>
                    > > > > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                    > > > > Sent: Friday, July 12, 2013 2:05 PM
                    > > > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Next Meeting is 20 July (Saturday) at Bjorns, 1PM
                    > > > >
                    > > > >
                    > > > > As I mentioned in my last post I was waiting for a confirmation before announcing the next scheduled RCAS meeting. For those new members who don't know the process and have asked me by email about such things the long and short of it is that we normally hold our quarterly meetings at Bjorns. However, this is never automatic and requires Bjorns to check their own special events and sales promotions to ensure they have the space for us. Other meetings or social get together events can be anywhere, anytime as members choose to open their homes. We have had great events when John, Matt, Ulises, Luther and I (apologies if I forgot anyone) have opened our homes in between general meetings. These events can be a pot luck, BBQ, Xmas party etc. The main thing is we like to get together in different settings to enjoy the fellowship and listen to different systems and new music. Members with smaller listening areas can limit the number of attendees (I believe
                    > > > Alan has done this in the past). Flexibility is the key and I am happy to coordinate such events using this web site. Now, back to the July meeting information. Our last well attended meeting was slightly impacted by the changes made by Bjorns leading into our normal meeting room ( i.e. the replica house family room). We could hear customers and showroom demos while Don was having us listen critically to his hi resolution presentation. Not optimum. However, as we are guests of Bjorn's we can't lose sight of the fact that they are giving us a great venue for our meetings and we need to be cautious never to impact in a negative way on their business. So, for our mutual benefit, the July meeting will be in one of the "back" rooms where you normally find their blowout or discontinued items. We have used this area before and actually find the acoustics to be better suited for our purposes. I will also need some help moving equipment and loading it into my
                    > > > SUV for the meeting. I am planning to leave my home (Bitters/Huebner area) at about 1130 as the setup this month will be a bit more complicated than usual. Volunteer(s) please? I believe Matt has already signed on but it is a lot of gear and stairs are involved. Another volunteer would be great so Matt or I don't end up like Tony Soprano (hold the wise comments Don!) Since the "flavor" for July is analog it would be great if someone could bring a really good turntable also. We have the speakers, stands,cables, integrated amp, master tapes and a studio recorder all secured. A good table might be fun so we can also hear some of the latest audiophile records.......no digital this meeting! That's about it for this rather long post. Individual reminders for the meeting will be sent out the week before 20 July along with a description of the system we will be using. See everyone soon, Bob
                    > > > >
                    > > >
                    > >
                    >
                  Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.