Re: July Meeting

  • dpgdave
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
      Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

      > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
      > just a chance to hear
      > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
      > but about learning and
      > enjoying differences in audio gear

    • Erick Matta
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
        btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!

        On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:

        Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

        > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
        > just a chance to hear
        > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
        > but about learning and
        > enjoying differences in audio gear

      • dpgdave
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
          Erick,
          Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

          > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
          >

          > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
          >
          > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
          > >
          > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
          > > >
          > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
          > > > just a chance to hear
          > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
          > > > but about learning and
          > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
          > > > Alan
          > > >

          > > > ________________________________

        • Michael Woods
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
            I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.

            -Michael

            Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

            --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

            > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
            >

            > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
            >
            > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
            > >
            > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
            > > > just a chance to hear
            > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
            > > > but about learning and
            > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
            > > > Alan
            > > >

            > > > ________________________________

          • dpgdave
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
              Michael,
              Said set was running off a receiver when I heard them and sounding amazing so I can can only imagine how good they'd be on a 2 channel system...
              What do you have driving them?
              Glad to hear they stayed local and you're enjoying them.

              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Michael Woods <mrwoodzi@...> wrote:

              > I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.
              >
              > -Michael

            • dpgdave
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                Michael,
                Glad to hear that the 3.6s are still in town. I would have made a move on them myself if I didn't have too much gear already.
                When I heard them, they were hooked up temporarily to a Harmon Kordon receiver. All I remember thinking was that they sounded awesome and they'd probably sound even better in a two channel set up.
                What are you using to power them?