Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Equipment for Tomorrow's RCAS Meeting

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2013
      Joe, you were missed, but as always family come first.

      As you know the meeting was planned around a presentation on digital and high-resolution audio, and Don did an awesome, awesome job of making the technical and theoretical parts interesting and entertaining. And, the listening tests and audience participation segment he did was just plain fun.

      Don broke the meeting out into three parts. He explained some technical terms, and the theoretical aspects of high-res and digital audio just to help everyone get onto the same footing; even those in attendance who may not know anything about it. He went over some hardware and software information. My perception is there seems to be lots of it inundating the audio industry now that digital music appears as though it has established a foothold among audio enthusiasts and audiophiles. But I digress. Don also facilitated an A-B comparison survey of five musical selections to determine unscientifically if we could tell the difference between high-res and "standard"-resolution formats. At the end of the meeting, which lasted a good 4 hours, we just had a great time listening to member-provided musical selections over a great sounding member-assembled stereo system. We did a little chin wagging, and got caught up with what is going on with each other.

      Joe, as always we had a great time. Don's presentation was informative and fun. There were also new members at this meeting which was great to see. Bjorn's as always was a relaxing and pleasant venue. Thanks go to Bob for scheduling the venue and creating a great forum for audio-related ideas and activities, which I've always thought San Antonio really needed.

      Again, you were missed. Hope to see you at the next one.

      ---Matt

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 23, 2013
            Not a lot to add to Matt's comments, he really gave us a good explanation of the presentation. To say the least, as always, we had a lot of fun. I always like the "multiple choice" audio games.....and Don did a great job with this. The turnout was also exceptional. We had three new members at the meeting to welcome. Standing room only and we set up twenty chairs. In fact, based on the enthusiasm that was shown at this meeting and after talking to several members we will have a July meeting also!  I will do the coordination with John for the topics & details & Bjorns & so on. If necessary, Ill provide the gear for the meeting. It seems like we have a lot of momentum from the last few meetings that were very well attended so we will push forward and be responsive to the RCAS!

          More news to follow and when time allows we will post the pictures that Matt took (with Don's camera) and several from my I-phone as well.

          Many thanks to Don for all his effort with the material, equipment, refreshments, and running the meeting. And Matt (and his wife) for the cookies. We have a great group!!!!!

          Bob

          I had a family thing come up and missed the meeting...  How was it?
          On Jun 22, 2013, at 11:25 AM, "knickkev" <Knickkev@...> wrote:

          Hey Don--

          I am assuming that you still want me to bring the Emotiva Dac? I have it ready and will be leaving shortly.

          Kevin Knickrehm
          --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "Don Disbennett" <ddisbennett@...> wrote:

          > Hello, All:
          >
          > I hope everyone can make the meeting tomorrow at Bjorn’s, especially our new members!
          >
          > The following RCAS members have kindly offered to help me with the equipment needs for this program; I really amppreciate their help and willingness to help:
          >
          > Matt â€" Folding table and power strip.
          >
          > Greg â€" Speaker Stands
          >
          > Alan â€" Sony SACD player and extra power strip.
          >
          > Steven â€" Backup speaker stands if complete in time(we would love to see them even if we don’t use them as Steven is a terrific DIY speaker builder and now stands).
          >
          > As always, we ask as many as can do so to bring some new/great music on CD.
          >
          > See ya’ll at 1:00 pm tomorrow!!!
          >
          > Don

        • stevenzaiontz
          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 24, 2013
            Don, were you using the NAD's MDC add-on DAC or were you running analog out from your music server? Could you also give us the specs of your dedicated music server again? I would like to build one for myself and I'm sure a few other folks are interested as well.

            Great job on the meeting. This was in my opinion one of the most informative meetings I have been to since joining. Your wealth of information on digital based playback was very cool and the hand-outs are a good starting point for those new to the subject.

            Thanks,
            Steven

            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 24, 2013
              Hi, Steven:

              I am glad you enjoyed the presentation on digital audio. I was using my Acer laptop server going out USB to my NAD's MDC add-on DAC. I was planning on using the Emotiva XDA-2 DAC, but we never were able to get it to show up on my laptop, so we used the NAD as I knew that would work. We never actually got to hear the music server as we sort of ran out of time; however, I have found that in its present configuration it does not work well using the USB output. I have used it at home with both the ethernet out as well as the HDMI out and both sound great and work without a hitch. You can find a complete listing of parts and links to the sources of the components at: www.computeraudiophile.com and look under the "C.A.P.S." heading near the top of the home page. I built the least expensive of the four servers listed, the Topanga. If you are planning on building any of those servers, you need to order the motherboard ASAP as it is near the end of its production and will only be available a couple of more months or as long as the existing stock lasts. It is a neat little motherboard with some nice features and includes both the motherboard and the processor and heat sink together.
              Let me know if you need any help, although construction is pretty straightforward.

              Don