Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] July Meeting

    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
      I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout, just a chance to hear
      a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition but about learning and
      enjoying differences in audio gear
      Alan

      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
        Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

        > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
        > just a chance to hear
        > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
        > but about learning and
        > enjoying differences in audio gear

      • Erick Matta
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
          btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!

          On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:

          Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

          > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
          > just a chance to hear
          > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
          > but about learning and
          > enjoying differences in audio gear

        • dpgdave
          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
            Erick,
            Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

            --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

            > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
            >

            > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
            >
            > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
            > >
            > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
            > > >
            > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
            > > > just a chance to hear
            > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
            > > > but about learning and
            > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
            > > > Alan
            > > >

            > > > ________________________________

          • Michael Woods
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
              I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.

              -Michael

              Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

              > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
              >

              > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
              >
              > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
              > >
              > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
              > > > just a chance to hear
              > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
              > > > but about learning and
              > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
              > > > Alan
              > > >

              > > > ________________________________

            • dpgdave
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                Michael,
                Said set was running off a receiver when I heard them and sounding amazing so I can can only imagine how good they'd be on a 2 channel system...
                What do you have driving them?
                Glad to hear they stayed local and you're enjoying them.

                --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Michael Woods <mrwoodzi@...> wrote:

                > I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.
                >
                > -Michael

              • dpgdave
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                  Michael,
                  Glad to hear that the 3.6s are still in town. I would have made a move on them myself if I didn't have too much gear already.
                  When I heard them, they were hooked up temporarily to a Harmon Kordon receiver. All I remember thinking was that they sounded awesome and they'd probably sound even better in a two channel set up.
                  What are you using to power them?