Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] July Meeting

  • Erick Matta
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
      i have a pair of ACI's from the early 90's that i sort of inherited while in college back in '97. this will be my 1st meeting to attend as i just joined rca, so i really look forward to meeting everyone. btw, besides being a professional musician, i also am a recording engineer and hope u guys don't mind me bringing a couple tracks along for reference.
      erick matta

      On Jul 13, 2011, at 9:02 AM, dpgdave wrote:

      Hello all - I'm getting excited about the upcoming meeting - I mean, who doesn't like a shootout, right? I was wondering what people are planning on bringing and what kind of power will be? Maybe a question for Bob? I have a little Peachtree Nova that's mobile enough if need be.
      I just replaced a set of Harbeth SHL5 with a set of brand new Harbeth P3esr & I've been shooting the 3s out against my little babies, a set of Linn Kan mkiii. I may bring both sets to get the group's take. I'm in a little monitor mode at the moment... What's everyone else planning to bring out?
      Dave W

    • dpgdave
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
        Welcome Erick,
        Definitely bring some music along. Hearing new music is one of the coolest things about the club.

        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
          I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout, just a chance to hear
          a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition but about learning and
          enjoying differences in audio gear
          Alan

          Message 4 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
            Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

            --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

            > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
            > just a chance to hear
            > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
            > but about learning and
            > enjoying differences in audio gear

          • Erick Matta
            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
              btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!

              On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:

              Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

              > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
              > just a chance to hear
              > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
              > but about learning and
              > enjoying differences in audio gear

            • dpgdave
              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                Erick,
                Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

                --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

                > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
                >

                > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
                >
                > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
                > >
                > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
                > > >
                > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
                > > > just a chance to hear
                > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
                > > > but about learning and
                > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
                > > > Alan
                > > >

                > > > ________________________________

              • Michael Woods
                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                  I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.

                  -Michael

                  Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

                  --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

                  > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
                  >

                  > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
                  >
                  > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
                  > >
                  > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
                  > > >
                  > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
                  > > > just a chance to hear
                  > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
                  > > > but about learning and
                  > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
                  > > > Alan
                  > > >

                  > > > ________________________________

                • dpgdave
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                    Michael,
                    Said set was running off a receiver when I heard them and sounding amazing so I can can only imagine how good they'd be on a 2 channel system...
                    What do you have driving them?
                    Glad to hear they stayed local and you're enjoying them.

                    --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Michael Woods <mrwoodzi@...> wrote:

                    > I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.
                    >
                    > -Michael

                  • dpgdave
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                      Michael,
                      Glad to hear that the 3.6s are still in town. I would have made a move on them myself if I didn't have too much gear already.
                      When I heard them, they were hooked up temporarily to a Harmon Kordon receiver. All I remember thinking was that they sounded awesome and they'd probably sound even better in a two channel set up.
                      What are you using to power them?