July Meeting

  • dpgdave
    Message 1 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
      Hello all - I'm getting excited about the upcoming meeting - I mean, who doesn't like a shootout, right? I was wondering what people are planning on bringing and what kind of power will be? Maybe a question for Bob? I have a little Peachtree Nova that's mobile enough if need be.
      I just replaced a set of Harbeth SHL5 with a set of brand new Harbeth P3esr & I've been shooting the 3s out against my little babies, a set of Linn Kan mkiii. I may bring both sets to get the group's take. I'm in a little monitor mode at the moment... What's everyone else planning to bring out?
      Dave W
      Message 2 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
        I plan on bringing a pair of Mark & Daniel Maximus Mini and a pair of Optimus LX4. Two very different speakers in form, function and cost.

        What is the power output on the Peachtree?

        Luther

        Hello all - I'm getting excited about the upcoming meeting - I mean, who doesn't like a shootout, right? I was wondering what people are planning on bringing and what kind of power will be? Maybe a question for Bob? I have a little Peachtree Nova that's mobile enough if need be.
        I just replaced a set of Harbeth SHL5 with a set of brand new Harbeth P3esr & I've been shooting the 3s out against my little babies, a set of Linn Kan mkiii. I may bring both sets to get the group's take. I'm in a little monitor mode at the moment... What's everyone else planning to bring out?
        Dave W

      • vintagehifisteve
        Message 3 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
          If everything lines up in time I may bring a DIY build using swan (Hivi) drivers. Or perhaps another pair of bookshelfs that I'm simultaneously building this week. Delayed shipments and time crunches have me tight on build time so bringing either of these is still up in the air on how late I want to stay up Friday night building crossovers, veneering, and spraying top coat. I'd be curious to see how these stack up against manufactured speakers.

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Wardsweb <wardsweb@...> wrote:

          > I plan on bringing a pair of Mark & Daniel Maximus Mini and a pair of Optimus LX4. Two very different speakers in form, function and cost.
          >
          > What is the power output on the Peachtree?
          >
          > Luther

        • Erick Matta

            Message 5 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
              Welcome Erick,
              Definitely bring some music along. Hearing new music is one of the coolest things about the club.

              Message 6 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout, just a chance to hear
                a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition but about learning and
                enjoying differences in audio gear
                Alan

                Message 7 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                  Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

                  --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

                  > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
                  > just a chance to hear
                  > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
                  > but about learning and
                  > enjoying differences in audio gear

                • Erick Matta
                  Message 8 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                    btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!

                    On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:

                    Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.

                    --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

                    > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
                    > just a chance to hear
                    > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
                    > but about learning and
                    > enjoying differences in audio gear

                  • dpgdave
                    Message 9 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                      Erick,
                      Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

                      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

                      > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
                      >

                      > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
                      >
                      > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
                      > >
                      > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
                      > > >
                      > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
                      > > > just a chance to hear
                      > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
                      > > > but about learning and
                      > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
                      > > > Alan
                      > > >

                      > > > ________________________________

                    • Michael Woods
                      Message 10 of 12 , Jul 13, 2011
                        I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.

                        -Michael

                        Those look sweet indeed. I've never seen a set but I heard a beautiful set of Thiel 3.6-I believe they were- owned by a fellow member and they were VERY impressive just running off a mid-road receiver. Sign me up for a pair someday too...

                        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Erick Matta <ertatta@...> wrote:

                        > btw, does anyone in the group/area own a pair of thiel pcs? always been blown away with this design and hope to own a pair someday!
                        >

                        > On Jul 13, 2011, at 11:19 AM, dpgdave wrote:
                        >
                        > > Absolutely correct. Shootout is the wrong word as it's certainly not a competition. It sounds like we'll be hearing some very different stuff from high efficiency to low, ribon tweeters to DIY single drivers... Should be very interesting indeed.
                        > >
                        > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler <alanhendler@> wrote:
                        > > >
                        > > > I think it needs to be pointed out that this is not intended to be a shootout,
                        > > > just a chance to hear
                        > > > a variety of different bookshelf type speakers. This is not about competition
                        > > > but about learning and
                        > > > enjoying differences in audio gear
                        > > > Alan
                        > > >

                        > > > ________________________________

                      • dpgdave
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                          Michael,
                          Said set was running off a receiver when I heard them and sounding amazing so I can can only imagine how good they'd be on a 2 channel system...
                          What do you have driving them?
                          Glad to hear they stayed local and you're enjoying them.

                          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Michael Woods <mrwoodzi@...> wrote:

                          > I may have bought said Thiel 3.6's from said member, I am very happy and they are exactly what I was looking for.
                          >
                          > -Michael

                        • dpgdave
                          Message 12 of 12 , Jul 14, 2011
                            Michael,
                            Glad to hear that the 3.6s are still in town. I would have made a move on them myself if I didn't have too much gear already.
                            When I heard them, they were hooked up temporarily to a Harmon Kordon receiver. All I remember thinking was that they sounded awesome and they'd probably sound even better in a two channel set up.
                            What are you using to power them?