Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] RCAS April Meeting Saturday@1pm

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 27, 2013
      Joe, not a problem. John and Juanita let Bob, Alan, Don and me go over yesterday, so the lion's share of the organization and setup are out of the way. The system sounds great! All is a go for 1PM!

      ----Matt

      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 28, 2013
        Wow, just wanted to say, "Thanks Matt!"  It was a great presentation of Frank Zappa.  I'll certainly admit, I wasn't expecting to be handed a 20-page program when I entered the door.  This leads me to believe that Matt spent more than five minutes preparing for this meeting.  And it showed, lots of informative tidbits about what shapes the music Frank makes.

        I certainly liked the 'play the influence, play the FZ result' format Matt chose to present his information in.  I actually learned a lot that way.  For example, Matt said at some point, "to understand Varese is to know Zappa," or some such.  By golly, when Varese's Octandre-I was played, I thought to myself, "yup, this sounds like Zappa."  Then later, I thought it WAS Zappa, until I looked down at my program and realized we were still hearing Varese.  It would appear that Frank has lifted entire thought vehicles out of the Varese train and merely changed the engine, conductor, and caboose with more modern instrumentation a bit.

        Anyway, I had a great time.  Thanks Matt for the prep time and education.  Thanks, John, for your home.  Thanks Don, Alan, and Matt for the equipment.

        Kris

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 29, 2013
          Kris, you're welcome. Thank you.

          I also want to echo your thanks to John, Bob, Don, Alan! I thought room setup and the system were perfect.

          As always it was great seeing and talking to everyone. This is a great group!

          ---Matt