RCAS April Meeting Saturday@1pm

    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 25 8:16 AM
      The April meeting of the River City Audio Society will be held this Saturday, 27 April 2013, 1pm @ John's house, 8607 Solano Street, Helotes, TX 78023. This is a gated community, the access code is 1956.
      This month Matt will be leading the meeting with a focus on music and exploring the accomplishments and artistry of Frank Zappa. Matt will be playing some of the most noted recordings from the artist, as well as selections from other artists that influenced Frank Zappa during his career. Don will also complement the presentation with musical examples from other noted guitar players. In addition to the musical presentations Matt will provide background information that will educate all of us on this noted artist.
      The music will be played on a reference quality system that is being configured by Don and Alan. Finally, thanks to John for sponsoring this meeting in his home.
      This meeting is a new format with a specific emphasis on music and introducing an artist to the group who is a personal favorite of Matt's.
      Looking forward to seeing everyone on Saturday!
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 26 5:39 AM
        Oh my gosh, that's Tomorrow ! Is there anyone going who passes by my way willing to give me a ride ? Sorry for the lateness of my request !  Joe Bohan

        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 26 7:25 PM
          Joe, I can give you a ride. You're practically in the same neighborhood. I will be there between 11:30 and 12. My plan is to set my ETA based on the traffic reports tomorrow morning, but my guess is I'll be there closer to 12 than to 11:30. See you then.

          ---Matt

          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 26 8:15 PM
            Sorry guys but I will be in Austin tomorrow. Catch you at the next one.

            Luther

            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 27 5:10 AM
              Thanks, Matt !! I asked of the whole group because I figured you probably had your hands full with organization and material to bring . See you then . Joe

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 27 7:59 AM
                Joe, not a problem. John and Juanita let Bob, Alan, Don and me go over yesterday, so the lion's share of the organization and setup are out of the way. The system sounds great! All is a go for 1PM!

                ----Matt

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 28 1:57 PM
                  Wow, just wanted to say, "Thanks Matt!"  It was a great presentation of Frank Zappa.  I'll certainly admit, I wasn't expecting to be handed a 20-page program when I entered the door.  This leads me to believe that Matt spent more than five minutes preparing for this meeting.  And it showed, lots of informative tidbits about what shapes the music Frank makes.

                  I certainly liked the 'play the influence, play the FZ result' format Matt chose to present his information in.  I actually learned a lot that way.  For example, Matt said at some point, "to understand Varese is to know Zappa," or some such.  By golly, when Varese's Octandre-I was played, I thought to myself, "yup, this sounds like Zappa."  Then later, I thought it WAS Zappa, until I looked down at my program and realized we were still hearing Varese.  It would appear that Frank has lifted entire thought vehicles out of the Varese train and merely changed the engine, conductor, and caboose with more modern instrumentation a bit.

                  Anyway, I had a great time.  Thanks Matt for the prep time and education.  Thanks, John, for your home.  Thanks Don, Alan, and Matt for the equipment.

                  Kris

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 29 3:31 AM
                    Kris, you're welcome. Thank you.

                    I also want to echo your thanks to John, Bob, Don, Alan! I thought room setup and the system were perfect.

                    As always it was great seeing and talking to everyone. This is a great group!

                    ---Matt