A great Russian power tube

  • the_matching_mole
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
      6n4cE.

      I put a quad of them in my Mc30s last year and they're amazing. I bought the tubes from Jim McShane for $30.

      Here's where I learned about them. http://jeffsplace.me/wordpress/?p=188

      Gene H.
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 5, 2011
        MC30's have always had a magical midrange. I think that is there true claim to fame. So how do the new tubes add to this? more liquid mids, more highs, more lows, better balance, etc...

        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 6, 2011
          The sound became fuller: better bass, more "lit from within" warmth in the midrange, more frequency output across the range. More coherence, too. The SED 6L6GCs I was using before were slightly bright and tizzy.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 6, 2011
            Hey guys are you talking about the 6P3S-E   I have a
            quad of these that I used to use in my VTL ST-85 in place of
            EL-34's If anybody would like to play with them let me
            know. I eventually went to Shanguang Treasure 6CA7's which
            is the best yet but very pricy
            Alan

            Message 5 of 6 , Jul 7, 2011
              Yup. 6N3CE = 6P3S-E.

              I wonder how your Lowthers would sound with my MC30s with 6P3Ss in them.

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 7, 2011
                What would I do with all that excess power
                Remember I am driving them with a 2-1/2W amp
                I have used my VTL's on them and they sound very nice
                Alan