Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Meeting update

  • Matt
    Message 1 of 27 , Mar 7, 2013
      Alan, I have a commitment to bring a turntable. I'll also bring a phono pre-amp and a pair of short RCA interconnects for said pre-amp (less than 2'). If you think we may need something longer let me know.

      ---Matt

      Message 2 of 27 , Mar 7, 2013
        Matt,
        Great. A turntable will be good to test the PS Audio isolation base.
        My preamp has a moving magnet phono stage so as long as you don't
        have a moving coil cartridge we can use my pre
        Alan

        Message 3 of 27 , Mar 7, 2013
          Don,
          I have no actual preference. We need to see what speakers
          we are going to have and then settle on a power amp. The
          Nad would be fine
          Alan

          I know you would probably prefer a tube amp, but if you wish I could bring my NAD 275bee power amp (150 wpc).
          Let me know if you don't get a "better offer".

          Don
          ---- Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...> wrote:

          > Hi guys,
          > Concerning our upcoming meeting at Bjorns on March 16th.
          > I would find it a little easier if someone else could supply
          > power amps for this meeting. I will bring the following. Note there has been a
          > change.
          > I am no longer using my Sony 5400 as a transport. Have aquired a new toy
          > Audio Note CDT Two/mrk II transport
          > Audio Note Dac 2.1b
          > Shindo Auriges pre amp
          > All cables and power cords for the above
          > We will then need power amps and speakers
          > Also if anyone else want's to bring other source equipment
          > feel free to do so
          > Remember the main purpose of this meeting is to check out
          > the PS audio isolation device
          > Thanks
          > Alan

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
            Alan, it's MM..

                Message 7 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                  Joe, perhaps after Matt's meeting we can have the fleawatt amplification based meeting that Alan, yourself, and I had talked about a few months ago. I still think it would be a great topic for an RCAS meeting.

                  -Steven

                  Message 8 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                    Steven:

                    Although I personally don't have any flea watt amps, I think it would be a lot of fun to see what these amps can do with efficient speakers. I vote "yes" on such a future meeting as long as we have several members who can bring several different flea watt amps, preferably both tube and SS.

                    Don
                    ---- stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@...> wrote:
                    > Joe, perhaps after Matt's meeting we can have the fleawatt amplification based meeting that Alan, yourself, and I had talked about a few months ago. I still think it would be a great topic for an RCAS meeting.
                    >
                    > -Steven
                    >
                    > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I'd love to show my tube amps some time,but they are heavy and monoblock ,too large to fit both on the PS Audio device . And only 3 watts or so ...        Joe
                    > >

                    > > ________________________________

                  • david weil
                    Message 9 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                      Steven and Don,
                      Great idea for the next meeting. I could bring my 10wpc solid state. My 107db efficient (modified) Klipshorns will have to stay home though unless someone has a box truck : ).
                      I'm curious what options we come up with for speakers as I'm always on the look out for efficient designs.
                      David W

                      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                      CC: szaiontz@...
                      From: ddisbennett@...
                      Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000
                      Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update

                      Steven:

                      Although I personally don't have any flea watt amps, I think it would be a lot of fun to see what these amps can do with efficient speakers. I vote "yes" on such a future meeting as long as we have several members who can bring several different flea watt amps, preferably both tube and SS.

                      Don
                      ---- stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@...> wrote:
                      > Joe, perhaps after Matt's meeting we can have the fleawatt amplification based meeting that Alan, yourself, and I had talked about a few months ago. I still think it would be a great topic for an RCAS meeting.
                      >
                      > -Steven
                      >
                      > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > I'd love to show my tube amps some time,but they are heavy and monoblock ,too large to fit both on the PS Audio device . And only 3 watts or so ...        Joe
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • stevenzaiontz
                      Message 10 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                        Don / Dave,

                        I'm glad you guys are interested. I can bring my EL84 SET amp as well as a few little solid state amps as well. I agree with Dave in that we need to figure out which speakers will be considered for this meeting. Perhaps I might just have to build a speaker for this occasion. Who knows? :)

                        -Steven

                        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

                        > Steven and Don,
                        > Great idea for the next meeting. I could bring my 10wpc solid state. My 107db efficient (modified) Klipshorns will have to stay home though unless someone has a box truck : ).
                        > I'm curious what options we come up with for speakers as I'm always on the look out for efficient designs.
                        > David W
                        >
                        > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                        > CC: szaiontz@...
                        > From: ddisbennett@...
                        > Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000
                        > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update

                        > Steven:
                        >

                        > Although I personally don't have any flea watt amps, I think it would be a lot of fun to see what these amps can do with efficient speakers. I vote "yes" on such a future meeting as long as we have several members who can bring several different flea watt amps, preferably both tube and SS.
                        >

                        > Don
                        >
                        > ---- stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@...> wrote:
                        >
                        > > Joe, perhaps after Matt's meeting we can have the fleawatt amplification based meeting that Alan, yourself, and I had talked about a few months ago. I still think it would be a great topic for an RCAS meeting.
                        >

                        > > -Steven
                        >

                        > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote:
                        >

                        > > > I'd love to show my tube amps some time,but they are heavy and monoblock ,too large to fit both on the PS Audio device . And only 3 watts or so ... Â Â Â Â Joe
                        >

                        > > > ________________________________

                      • francisco licon
                        Message 11 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                          I can bring my Klipsch Heresy's. I also have the small modified tube amp from Greg.
                          Thanks,
                          Frank

                          Message 12 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                            Frank,
                            I think the Heresy's would be great.
                            Good efficiency and plenty resolution.
                            Let.s count on the Heresey's
                            Alan

                            Message 13 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                              Alan:

                              So if Frank is bringing both his speakers and his amp, do you still need/want me to bring my NAD?

                              Message 14 of 27 , Mar 8, 2013
                                Frank,
                                Can you tell me a little more about the amp.
                                is it SET or push-pull? Just curious.
                                Yes bring it
                                Alan

                                I can bring my Klipsch Heresy's. I also have the small modified tube amp from Greg.
                                Thanks,
                                Frank

                                I'm glad you guys are interested. I can bring my EL84 SET amp as well as a few little solid state amps as well. I agree with Dave in that we need to figure out which speakers will be considered for this meeting. Perhaps I might just have to build a speaker for this occasion. Who knows? :)

                                -Steven

                                --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, david weil <dpgdave@...> wrote:

                                > Steven and Don,
                                > Great idea for the next meeting. I could bring my 10wpc solid state. My 107db efficient (modified) Klipshorns will have to stay home though unless someone has a box truck : ).
                                > I'm curious what options we come up with for speakers as I'm always on the look out for efficient designs.
                                > David W
                                >
                                > To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                                > CC: szaiontz@...
                                > From: ddisbennett@...
                                > Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000
                                > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update

                                > Steven:
                                >

                                > Although I personally don't have any flea watt amps, I think it would be a lot of fun to see what these amps can do with efficient speakers. I vote "yes" on such a future meeting as long as we have several members who can bring several different flea watt amps, preferably both tube and SS.
                                >

                                > Don
                                >
                                > ---- stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@...> wrote:
                                >
                                > > Joe, perhaps after Matt's meeting we can have the fleawatt amplification based meeting that Alan, yourself, and I had talked about a few months ago. I still think it would be a great topic for an RCAS meeting.
                                >

                                > > -Steven
                                >

                                > > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote:
                                >

                                > > > I'd love to show my tube amps some time,but they are heavy and monoblock ,too large to fit both on the PS Audio device . And only 3 watts or so ... Â Â Â Â Joe
                                >

                                > > > ________________________________

                              • francisco licon
                                Message 15 of 27 , Mar 9, 2013
                                  Hi Alan, it is an SET stereo amp and uses 2 EL 84's to deliver 4 watts per channel. If you have some time today or tomorrow I would be happy to have you over and you can see it for yourself and listen to some nice music. Just give me a call at 915-309-1678.

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                    I have a pair of slightly modified Klipsch RF-5's that sound good and could bring if someone with transportation would help me bring them. They partner well with my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 SET amps. My one bedroom apartment is so small I can't host more than 2 guests at a time and this is the only way I can think of to share my sound with more members .  Joe Bohan

                                    To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                                    CC: szaiontz@...
                                    From: ddisbennett@...
                                    Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000

                                    Message 17 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                      We could use the Open Baffle RCAS speakers as they are high sensitivity.

                                      Message 18 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                        Is there anyone that could help Joe bring his speakers to the meeting
                                        Frank has told me that he has to leave early on Saturday so if
                                        we could use Joe's speakers it would solve that problem

                                        To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                                        CC: szaiontz@...
                                        From: ddisbennett@...
                                        Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000

                                        Steven:

                                        Although I personally don't have any flea watt amps, I think it would be a lot of fun to see what these amps can do with efficient speakers. I vote "yes" on such a future meeting as long as we have several members who can bring several different flea watt amps, preferably both tube and SS.

                                        Don
                                        ---- stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@...> wrote:
                                        > Joe, perhaps after Matt's meeting we can have the fleawatt amplification based meeting that Alan, yourself, and I had talked about a few months ago. I still think it would be a great topic for an RCAS meeting.
                                        >
                                        > -Steven
                                        >
                                        > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:
                                        > >
                                        > > I'd love to show my tube amps some time,but they are heavy and monoblock ,too large to fit both on the PS Audio device . And only 3 watts or so ...        Joe
                                        > >

                                        > > ________________________________

                                      • Matt
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                          Alan/Joe,

                                          I'll help with transporation, and accomodation for the the RF-5's will not be a problem.

                                          ---Matt

                                          Message 20 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                            Thanks, Matt !!   I didn't think your car would handle the speakers as they are nearly 43 inches tall /long lying down.  : )     Joe

                                            To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.comCC: szaiontz@...From: ddisbennett@... Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000 Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update

                                            Message 21 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                              Hey, Joe!  Haven’t you ever heard of a “folded horn” speaker?  LOL

                                              Don

                                              Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:05 PM

                                              To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.comCC: szaiontz@...From: ddisbennett@... Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000 Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update
                                              rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote: >
                                              > > > I'd love to show my tube amps some time,but they are heavy and
                                              monoblock ,too large to fit both on the PS Audio device . And only 3 watts or so ...        Joe > > > > > > ________________________________ > > From: Alan Hendler <alanhendler@...>
                                              href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com>

                                              Message 22 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                                Why , yes I once owned a pair of beautiful used Klipschorns before I got back to vacuum tubes. When I was strapped for cash, I sold them to Bjorn .

                                                Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:05 PM

                                                To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.comCC: szaiontz@...From: ddisbennett@... Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000 Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update

                                                Message 23 of 27 , Mar 10, 2013
                                                  Ok guys,
                                                  I like the folded horn comment!
                                                  Let us count on using Joe's speakers
                                                  Joe, if you can use the jumpers we can then use a single speaker cable
                                                  I will bring my Tellurium blue cables.
                                                  Frank, you don't have to bring your speakers. I was concerned that
                                                  you will have to leave early so this takes care of that issue
                                                  Joe, I will bring my VTL amps which should work fine with your speakers
                                                  I think we are set

                                                  Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:05 PM

                                                  To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.comCC: szaiontz@...From: ddisbennett@... Date: Fri, 8 Mar 2013 15:41:22 +0000 Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Meeting update

                                                    Sent: Sunday, March 10, 2013 1:05 PM