Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Proposal for possible meeting activity

    Message 1 of 21 , Feb 16, 2013
      Hey,
      A Liberace festival!!!
      Alan

      From: Don Disbennett <ddisbennett@...>
      To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sat, February 16, 2013 7:49:42 PM
      Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Proposal for possible meeting activity

      Matt:

      OK, I am starting to understand a bit better what you are proposing.  However, I would add two caveats:  first, although the focus is on the music, I think most/all of the RCAS members are used to listening to their music on a high quality system, so even though it may not be their system or even a “state of the art” system, it should be of sufficiently high quality to allow the quality of the music (good or bad) to come through; secondly, although we each have our favorites when it comes to a certain artist, I doubt that the other members would want to listen to three or four hours of my favorite artist alone.  I hope I didn’t step on your toes, Matt, as that certainly is not my intent to offend anyone, but I just feel that for a meeting with members representing a wide variety of tastes in music, we may need to vary the content enough to suit the majority of the members attending.  Or I could just bring my collection of Liberace songs, because I know EVERYONE loves his music!  LOL
      Also, I would be more than happy to bring any equipment you may need:  I can bring my NAD power amp or NAD integrated amp or one of my DAC’s or even my laptop full of music, including quite a few high rez downloads which is what we used at Ulises house a few weekends ago.
      Let me know if I can help in any way!

      Don

      Message 2 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
        Don,
        My original thought when making the "critical" listening session proposal was that the equipment would be by one person because it would be equipment that has a track record of fitting together well; at least in theory. That person ideally would be the person providing the musical programing for the meeting, however it could be anyone. I know you're not a big analogue fan, so I could still bring a turntable. However, if the offer of the NAD integrated amp DAC still stand that might work. Could you provide a set of speakers that you know work well with said amp, and a CD player to go with the DAC? Let me know. That would be great if so. If the concern is lugging the stuff to whatever venue we end up snagging I would be willing to to the loins share of the planning for that part. What say you?
        I get your concern. I haven't said anything yet because I have not finalized the program, but since you brought up a good point you should know that my plan is to throw in stuff that is not Zappa, that way we're not slogging through three or four hours of my favorite artist alone. That said, if anyone gets bored I would have no problem with members excusing themselves early or opting out completely just like one might do based on the agenda for any one of the RCAS meetings. I've got thick skin and hard toes. No problems there. Also, I think Liberace is a great artist! I would be there.
        So, NOT 3 to 4 hours of Zappa; my hope however is the program would still be called "Frank Zappa, the Music and the Man" I will throw in lots of stuff from his musical influences such as Varese, Stravinsky, Johnny Guitar Watson, and some of his collaborators such as The Chieftains, The Ensemble Modern, etc. (Might also decide to add some of the artists who have been influenced by him; not sure yet) If you can provide the lion’s share of a sufficiently high quality system to go with the amp and DAC I could add the turntable I may need for the session, and I could acquire the transportation, carts,  moving paraphanalia, for getting it to the venue, and back to your place safely if needed. Please let me know.

        Message 3 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
          Hi, Matt:

          I could bring my integrated amp and one of my DAC’s; my Audioengine is currently back at the factory to investigate the noise that has been reported at some of our meetings and confirmed by me here at home.  If it doesn’t make it back in time, I have several others I can bring.   I can bring either my M&K standmount speakers or my smaller Definitive Technology bipolar floorstanders. I Alan wouldn’t mind, he had offered to bring his Sony SACD player, which we all know to be of very high quality. I have a Sony SACD too, but it is not nearly of the caliber of Alan’s, although it won’t make much difference if we run it digitally into my DAC.  You didn’t mention my bringing my laptop, so I guess you don’t need it and therefore I guess you are bringing all the music for the program(I don’t have any Zappa on it).  I do have many other guitarists which might be compared or contrasted to Zappa, such as Jeff Beck or even Joe Walsh or Al Dimeola(and of course, Liberace – JK).
          Let me know your thoughts on the above equipment or any suggestions for additions/changes.

          Don

          I am a bit confused about your use of the term “critical listening” to describe the proposed meeting of the RCAS next month.  Normally, when I use the term, I am referring to listening carefully to a piece of high quality music (wide dynamic range, low noise, little or no compression, etc.) with which I am very familiar over a system in which I have made some change which I am trying to evaluate.  It could be a change to an amplifier, speakers, DAC, turntable or even a tweak such as new cables, new position of the speakers, or interconnects.  I then listen to see if the change in the part of the system I am evaluating produces better sound, more detail, wider frequency range, lower noise floor or any other variable related to the reproduction of this piece of music for better or worse.  This is opposed to just listening to a variety of music over the same system, such as we usually do at the end of our RCAS meetings.  Everyone is invited to bring some of their music and play it on the system we have been using during the meeting.  On the other hand, it one wishes to evaluate the quality of a particular piece of music, it is played on a very high quality system to evaluate the music itself, subject to the limitations of that system.  I guess what I am saying is that from your description of the setup thus far, I am not sure which of the above scenarios (or something different entirely) we are trying to do at the proposed meeting.
          Sorry if I am missing something!

          Don

          Great idea, Matt. Looking forward to it. -Steven --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Alan Hendler wrote: > > I would happy to do it. Both the music > and a system > Alan > > > > > > ________________________________
          href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
            Hey guys,
            definetly could bring my Sony 5400 and if you want I could also bring with it
            my new AudioNote Dac 2.1b. The combination is unbelievable
            Alan

            Message 5 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
              Kris,
              It would be great if the RCAS "critical" listening sessions enterprise got far enough down the road to evolve like the ones you had/have. My perception is that a session with the kind of spontaneity and randomness that would occur by using a format like the one you had during the 90's would be wonderful in the hands of the right member.
              Thank you for the great input. Further suggestions, comments and votes of confidence on the concept are definitely welcome.
              Message 6 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
                Don, all sounds good. If it is possible to bring the speakers that you know are the best fit with the other pieces you are bringing that would be great.
                Just an inadvertent oversight. Absolutely bring the Beck, Walsh and Dimeola. Comparisons would be an interesting addition. (Liberace? You know he needs and entire session dedicated exclusively to his genius. Please let me know if you need help putting said session together. :)
                I hope to follow up as quickly as possible regarding additional details.

                Message 7 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
                  Alan, the Sony sounds great.

                  I think the AudioNote DAC is a great DAC, however I defer to Don. He will know better than I how it fits with the rest of the equipment which he is bringing.
                  ---Matt

                  Message 8 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
                    Matt/Alan:

                    I am not familiar with the AudioNote DAC, but I am sure that if Alan thinks it is a good one, it is and I would love to hear it.  However, I will still need to bring another DAC since I believe Alan said the AudioNote is 16/44.1 only and many of my files (Walsh, Beck, etc.) are higher resolution so they wouldn’t play on his DAC.

                    Don

                    I think the AudioNote DAC is a great DAC, however I defer to Don. He will know better than I how it fits with the rest of the equipment which he is bringing.
                    ---Matt

                    I definetly could bring my Sony 5400 and if you want I could also bring with it

                    Message 9 of 21 , Feb 17, 2013
                      Yes, you are right. The audionote will take up to 24/96 but will resolve to 18 bit which is the resolution
                      of the analog devices 1865n chip. It does no over or up sampling and has no digital or analog
                      filter. It also does no jitter reduction. Audionote feels that all these processes negatively
                      effect the timing of the recovered analog waveform. The dac measures poorly but as I have said
                      it sounds simply amazing. Maybe when I do a future one of these critical listening sessions I will bring it. Meanwhile I
                      will be happy to bring my 5400 sacd player

                      Message 10 of 21 , Feb 18, 2013
                        I want to thank Alan for having me over Saturday and sharing our music together. My Louis & Ella never sounded as good as when played using his new AudioNote Dac . My new reference in what is possible from Red Book CD's .   Joe Bohan