Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Please allow me to introduce myself...

    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 11, 2013
      Hi, Kevin:

      It was nice meeting you at the meeting on Saturday. I have Emotiva amplifiers in my HT system and also have the new XDA-2 DAC from Emotiva as well, although I do not use it with my HT. I believe the new Emotiva surround sound processor has a HT Bypass function which allows you to connect a separate two channel system into your HT if you want to go that route. Of course, you can also run your HT surround sound system in two channel mode if you prefer that for music. As I mentioned at the meeting, Bjorn's used to be a B&O dealer and they have an excellent repair dept., so they might be willing to fix any of your equipment if they can get the parts for it. Martin is their main technician and is very helpful, although his office is not in the store, but rather the old store over on loop 410 near Broadway which is now their warehouse and repair dept.
      As for your laptop having problems, I am not sure what is going on with that. I didn't "clean up" any of my computers, either desktop or laptop when playing digital music, so not sure what you are doing in that regard. What music playback software are you using on your laptop? I use the JRiver Media Center on my computers and it is excellent and has been highly rated and reviewed in many places. It costs $50, but is worth it in my opinion.
      Let me know if you need anything else.

      Don
      ---- knickkev <Knickkev@...> wrote:
      > Hello Folks!
      >
      > I thoroughly enjoyed the meeting on Saturday and was glad I persevered the highway 281 obstacles to get there. I gave a brief introduction at the meeting and had to leave early so here is some more information and questions, I hope you don't mind:
      >
      > My name is Kevin Knickrehm and I moved to San Antonio a little over a year ago from Omaha, still finding my way around. I currently own "classic" Bang and Olufsen equipment because that is what I envied in the "70s and '80s and could not afford back then. Since then I have bought and sold a lot of B&O equipment, but also had a great repair person that I could count on (I am not a DIY, but am fascinated by those that are). I have great need for a local San Antonio repair shop or person that can help with some of my equipment. If you know of anyone, it would be much appreciated.
      >
      > I mentioned at the meeting that I purchased the Emotiva DAC II and am enjoying the digital audio world now but need to clean up my PC laptop because of interruptions from time to time during music playback. If any of you have experienced the same, would love some suggestions.
      >
      > Another item that I find perpexing is the fact that my listening room and Home Theatre room have to be one in the same. It is not large and I don't want to give up 2-channel equipment for a Home Theatre. I was leaning towards Emotiva equipment for the HT, but what to do about the B&O equipment and 2-channel stereo? Anyone have experience with Emotiva and can share opinions?
      >
      > Finally, my musical tastes have a wide range and I find enjoyment in *almost* all genres. I am a product of the '70s (classic rock) but have enjoyed Jack White recently. If I had to choose one genre for now, it would probably be classic and orchestral Jazz and some big band.
      >
      > I look forward to meeting all of you at future events!
      >
      > Kevin (knickkev)

    • knickkev
      Message 2 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
        Hi Don--

        Thank you for the quick reply! I left a message with Martin, so hope to
        hear from him soon. I just purchased JRiver last night and had been
        playing with it for the last 30 days after reviewing others. I came to
        the same conclusion as you and find that it is a great tool for digitial
        audio playback and music library. I do get distortion from time to time
        that I attribute to my laptop that probably needs to be reimaged. Have
        you had any issues with the XDA-2 DAC? Opinions? I have not listened to
        any others so just curious.

        Regards,

        Kevin

        --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> [...]
        laptop because of interruptions from time to time during music playback.
        If any of you have experienced the same, would love some suggestions.

        > > Another item that I find perpexing is the fact that my listening
        room and Home Theatre room have to be one in the same. It is not large
        and I don't want to give up 2-channel equipment for a Home Theatre. I
        was leaning towards Emotiva equipment for the HT, but what to do about
        the B&O equipment and 2-channel stereo? Anyone have experience with
        Emotiva and can share opinions?

        > > Finally, my musical tastes have a wide range and I find enjoyment in
        *almost* all genres. I am a product of the '70s (classic rock) but have
        enjoyed Jack White recently. If I had to choose one genre for now, it
        would probably be classic and orchestral Jazz and some big band.

        > > I look forward to meeting all of you at future events!

      • gregguillot
        Message 3 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
          Hi Kevin,

          Welcome to the RCA! You find this bunch of folks to be very knowledgeable and friendly. I have been a member for the better part of a year and have enjoyed every meeting and social gathering tremendously. We have some wonderfully gracious hosts in this club!

          Regarding your questions on the Emotiva. I assume you are referring to the XDA-2? I have one myself and use it between my Mac Mini to stream MOG to my Marantz 2270. I also have the Schiit Bifrost, which I think edges out the XDA-2 slightly on DAC quality, but the Schiit does not have the nice preamp style analog volume control and remote.
          I am by no means as experienced with Emotiva gear as others in the club, but I am impressed with the quality of the unit for the price. Emotiva seems to have designed some fairly high quality equipment for a very competitive price.

          Anyway, looking forward to meeting you at one of our future gatherings.

          Greg

          Message 4 of 7 , Feb 12, 2013
            Hi, Kevin:

            I was one of the very first purchasers of the XDA-2 since I had seen the prototype at Rocky Mountain Audio Fest in Denver in October.  Unfortunately, mine came with a very early firmware and some computers, including mine had problems with that firmware.  So I had to do a firmware upgrade even though this unit is not intended for users to alter the firmware (I spoke to the Emotiva engineer who sent me very explicit instructions for the process).  Anyway, all is good since the new firmware was installed and it sounds very clean, although I am only using it (for now) as a desktop DAC with my AirMotiv 4 powered speakers (also from Emotiva).  It is a bit large for that application and probably overkill in other ways too, but I may move it to one of my two channel systems in the future.  What output mode are you using with the JRiver?  I use WASAPI Event Style on my setup.  By the way, the XDA-2 has a very nice headphone amp built in if you ever use high quality headphones for listening.

            Ciao,

            --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, wrote:

> [...]
            laptop because of interruptions from time to time during music playback.
            If any of you have experienced the same, would love some suggestions.

            > > Another item that I find perpexing is the
            fact that my listening
            room and Home Theatre room have to be one in the same. It is not large
            and I don't want to give up 2-channel equipment for a Home Theatre. I
            was leaning towards Emotiva equipment for the HT, but what to do about
            the B&O equipment and 2-channel stereo? Anyone have experience with
            Emotiva and can share opinions?

            > > Finally, my
            musical tastes have a wide range and I find enjoyment in
            *almost* all genres. I am a product of the '70s (classic rock) but have
            enjoyed Jack White recently. If I had to choose one genre for now, it
            would probably be classic and orchestral Jazz and some big band.

            (knickkev)