Re: Room treatments and me

  • pierrema333
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
      Hi,

      I read this article and I learned a few things in here.

      http://www.hometheater.com/content/acoustics-101

      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "stevenzaiontz" wrote:

      > Hey guys,
      >
      > I was curious if anyone here is familiar with room treatments and the placement of acoustic panels. My listening room is rather small and I'm plagued with terrible room acoustics since it's a cube. I have bought a couple 2" thick pyramid foam panels but do not know where to place them in the room for best results. If anyone is familiar with placement of these and would be willing to help me out I'd really appreciate it.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Steven

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 5 , Feb 5, 2013
        Steven, I have tried the following.
        • one behind each main speaker at ear height
        • one on the wall directly in front of the main listening position and one on the wall directly behind the main listening position
        • one on each side wall in the spot where the main-listening-possition first order reflections occur
        If you have the time and inclination it may be best to do a lot of experimenting with the placement.

        3M Company makes a good spray-on adhesive for attaching foam panels to walls called Fast7. I've used it with foam corner panels. If you decide to use it be sure the panels are exactly where you want them before hand. It REALLY sticks, and after you use it the panels will be difficult to remove without damaging them. That said the they stay put; worry free.

         If you need further help or clarification please let me know.

          ---Matt

        I was curious if anyone here is familiar with room treatments and the placement of acoustic panels. My listening room is rather small and I'm plagued with terrible room acoustics since it's a cube. I have bought a couple 2" thick pyramid foam panels but do not know where to place them in the room for best results. If anyone is familiar with placement of these and would be willing to help me out I'd really appreciate it.

        Thanks,
        Steven

      • stevenzaiontz
        Message 3 of 5 , Feb 6, 2013
          Pierre and Matt, thank you for the replies and the advice! I have been digging and have also found what seems like a good link for beginners. Check it out http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=446798

          Matt, your advice is spot on. Have you done any panels on the ceiling? At this time I don't think I'm ready to permanently place the panels on the wall, but I may line the backs of them with 1/4" plywood and see about hanging them like photos. Perhaps that will give a more temporary placement of them in case I need to add, move, or remove them at any time.

          Thanks,
          Steven

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Matt wrote:

          > Steven, I have tried the following.
          > * one behind each main speaker at ear height
          > * one on the wall directly in front of the main listening position and one on the wall directly behind the main listening position
          > * one on each side wall in the spot where the main-listening-possition first order reflections occur
          > If you have the time and inclination it may be best to do a lot of experimenting with the placement.
          >
          > 3M Company makes a good spray-on adhesive for attaching foam panels to walls called Fast7. I've used it with foam corner panels. If you decide to use it be sure the panels are exactly where you want them before hand. It REALLY sticks, and after you use it the panels will be difficult to remove without damaging them. That said the they stay put; worry free.
          >
          >  If
          > you need further help or clarification please let me know.
          >
          >   ---Matt

        • Matt
          Message 4 of 5 , Feb 7, 2013
            Steven, I have not tied ceiling panels only becuase in my situation when I added the panels to the walls the room sounded good for my taste. Especially useful are the corner panels for fixing bass issues. (Like you, I have a small listening room, which I surmise is the cause of bass issues I had before adding the panels).

            Putting the panels on plywood is a great idea!
            ---Matt