Wireless remote control for vintage equipment

    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
      I'm going crazy trying to find something online and then I realized I have a great group of friends who might have the same issue and a potential solution: I want ti be able to control the volume of my McIntosh receiver and my Carver pre amp from a remote control; the Mac didn't have one, did we have remote controls back in the 70s? The Carver is one of those purist pieces that doesn't have a remote control because it was determined that a remote control would affect the signal, which is cool, I like that, but sometimes I'm not doing critical listening and I want to be able to increase/decrease the volume with a remote. Does anybody know of a high quality volume control device I can put in the signal path between the pre amp and amp? I do want it to be high quality. I could spend a couple of hundred dollars, new or used.

      Thanks!

      Ulises.
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
        Wow! While I was finishing typing that last message I got an email from an offer I made in EBay for a Sansui RG-900R graphic equalizer with remote control with volume control. They accepted the offer, I don't know how high quality this is but I was desperate and I thought it was worth a try.

        If anybody has any experience or opinions with this let me know.

        I'm still looking for a high quality volume control device that doesn't have an equalizer. Ideally I'd like to find something purely analog like a remote controlled motorized volume control.

        Thanks!
        Ulises
      • gregguillot
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
          Ulises,

          Check out the Audiocubics R-Cube (audiocubics.com). They seem really well made and and have remotes made from different exotic materials. They run $295 which is a bit pricey. I think John has one. (I have not used one personally.)
          One thing I did was to purchase the Emotiva XDA-2, which includes a DAC and a remote control for volume. It does not have any analog inputs, but I use it to pipe my Mac Mini/Mog source combination via optical into the DAC and then analog out to my receiver (Marantz 2270.) The remote control is well made and the DAC is quite nice.

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
            I too have the Emotiva XDA-2; bought on the first day it was available.  It is a very nice 24/192 DAC and the remote is built better than some high-end equipment!  It also has a very nice headphone amplifier built in.

            Don

            Sent: Sunday, February 03, 2013 3:02 PM
            Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Wireless remote control for vintage equipment

            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 3, 2013
              Hi Don and Greg,
              Thanks for the tips, I need analog volume control so the little cube seems to be exactly what I was looking for, except I wanted something for half the price =) especially because i need two, one for the Carver and one for the Mac. But if there's nothing else out there, I guess I'd have to go for it. I'm going to see if I'm happy with the Sansui EQ Ijust bought and go from there.

              Thanks!

              Ulises.
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 4, 2013
                Hi, Ulises:

                I may be remembering incorrectly since it doesn't really affect my system, but I think this DAC may have an analog volume control even though it has a digital numerical readout of the level. You might check Emotiva's web site for that product to verify this.

                Don