Re: Speaker switch and Mecano

  • pierrema333
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 2 11:31 AM
      Yesterday, I bought the OSD from the OSD site and payed neither shipping nor taxes. It has shiped already. Cannot wait. Thanks Ulises.

      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Ulises A Hubbard" wrote:

      > Several of you asked about my speaker/amplifier switch. It's the OSD ATM 7, Amazon has it on sale for $150, or you can buy it directly from OSD for the same price. I gotta tell you it's one of the coolest things I've bought because it lets you compare amplifiers or speakers (A/B testing, actually A/B/C/D/E/F/G testing! ) by just pressing a button on the remote control.
      >
      > Also several people listened to one of my favorite music groups and it was a big hit at the meeting at my house, at least that's what I think because while it was playing nobody left their seats, but as soon as the CD ended, they all showed up at the kitchen, it was really funny! It's a group from Spain called Mecano, if you didn't listen to them in my house, check them out! The CD we listened to was called "Descanso Dominical"

    • Greg Guillot
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 3 10:43 AM
        I was about to spring for that switch but got concerned about using it with my tube amps. Since it is dual source, I was planning on hooking my Marantz 2270 and Fisher 800B as sources. I am worried that switching away from the tube amp may leave it unloaded and that may damage the OPT's.  I asked OSD directly about this, but they replied with a boilerplate response about using their impedance matching volume controls.
        Ulises - have you used a tube amp as a source with that switch? If I remember correctly, you had a SS Mac receiver connected (sounded awesome!).
        If anyone else has any experience or insight on this, I would appreciated it.
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 3 9:13 PM
          Hi Greg,

          I have the same concern so I have not connected it ti my a Carver tube amps. I think Bob Carver told me it wouldn't damage these particular amps if they didn't have a load for a little while, but I don't think leaving them without load for a while is a good idea, also who knows how they'll behave if switching the load in and out.

          So for now I'm just playing with it with solid state amps.