Re: January meeting

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
      Yesterday when Kris was here and I was showing him some of the speakers it dawn on me that some of you might think that these are flawless beautifull-looking speakers. The Genesis are near mint, but most of the other ones need some well deserved TLC! Some of them are probably 25-30 years old and remember they weren't in a museum or even carefully cared for in somebody's living room, they were Bob Carver's working speakers, so you can imagine they were moved into the sound/listening room, listened to, analyzed, measured, compared, them moved out several times during the course of a design session, many times, for years!!!! I think the Genesis survived without major scratches and dents because they are so darn heavy (330 lb each) and they weren't moved so much!

      I know all of us can appreciate the audio world historical significance of these speakers. They weren't in a museum but now they deserve to be in one. In fact I was debating if I should restore them at all or should I leave them as they are. ...

      Having said that, they are not horrible either, all of them can be restored with some sanding, some elbow grease, wood stain and speaker grill cloth.. The Martin Logan prodigy need new or repaired woofers ($720 each according to Martin Logan!!!!) and one set of the Carver Amazings need new surrounds and ribbon repair (about $1000). As I fix or restore these speakers I'll post pictures here.

      Sound-wise they all sound awesome! Today was the first time I really sat down and listened to the DCM Time Windows-wow! I'm very impressed with these 30 year old speakers, they don't look like much and I'll show you the "cheap? " construction next week, but they sound great! In my cozy (smallish) fireplace room they have a huge sound stage!!

      I hope to see everyone here next week!

      Ulises
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
        Hi everybody,

        I'm still cleaning my house to have it decent for tomorrow meeting, the pizza is in the oven already!

        If you haven't RSVP, That's ok, just show up tomorrow, we'll make room =)

        If for some reason you didn't get my address and phone number, reply to this and I'll send you my info via email.

        I'll see you all here tomorrow noonish!

        Ulises
      • francisco licon
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013