Re: January meeting

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
      Hi Alan, I asked Bob to email my information via email. He'll send it later on this week. Thanks!

      Ulises.
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
        Ulises,
        Thanks
        By the way, you asked about speaker cables. I have some new cables on order
        coming from Italy for my main system. I will then move my cables from system 1 to
        system 2. freeing up a pair of Morrow audio SP-1 cables. They are the older ones
        that look like Kimber 8tc cable. I think I bought them on one of Morrows many sales
        for about $80. You could have them for $25 and some pizza. I could bring
        them over at the meeting or sooner if you want to try them. They are bananas at each and
         I think about 8 or 9 feet long. Let me know
        I also have some Goetz silver speaker cable but that is a $900 cable that I would need
        at least $250 for
        Alan

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
          Hi Alan, Sold! The ones for $25+pizza =) please bring them to next week's meeting, if you can. I know as I continue in this hobby I'll eventually get to really want extra-excellent speaker cables and buy some $250 dollar ones, and maybe one day further down into the future I'll be ordering my speaker cables from Italy like you!! But for now I'll go for "really good and inexpensive"...

          Out of curiosity, what speaker cables did you order from Italy and what makes them special that you just had to have them and order them all the way from Italy?

          I still need more speaker cable so if anybody has any, please let me know.

          Thanks!
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
            Ulises,
            I will bring them
            I have ordered a pair of HighDiamond 8 speaker cable
            They have gotten some great reviews and someone
            on Audiogon had heard the 3 cables I was most interested in
            and said the HighDiamonds were just extradinary. Glad you will have
            the Maggies up and running. What are you using for a cross over?
            Alan

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
              Hi Alan, that's awesome! Let us know what you think of the cables once you get them...

              Kris came by this afternoon and let me borrow his DOD 835 ii electronic crossover. Right now I have a Yamaha Receiver, sending the signal into the electronic crossover, and from there the highs go to a Carver TFM45 and the lows go to another TFM45. (I'll connect them to the Carver tube amp next weekend if you want to. )

              I'm very impressed with these 3.6R's !! This is the first time I listen to Maggies and the first time I'm listening to something without at least one conventional cone driver, I was expecting great mid and high frequencies but I didn't have great hopes for bass. When I first started listening to them, I thought I was correct not to expect some bass, but as I continued tweaking, I got them to sound great, nice bass and everything! Most of my other big speakers have more bass, but the Maggies definitely have a lot more bass than I was expecting, it's been a fun evening!
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
                Have you ever thought of calling Magnepan and see if they could
                supply you with  crossover boxes for the Maggies? I have no idea
                what they would charge.
                Alan

[...]

              • gregguillot
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
                  Hi Ulises,

                  I'll be there. Looking forward to hearing those fantastic new speakers of yours!

                  Greg

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
                    Yesterday when Kris was here and I was showing him some of the speakers it dawn on me that some of you might think that these are flawless beautifull-looking speakers. The Genesis are near mint, but most of the other ones need some well deserved TLC! Some of them are probably 25-30 years old and remember they weren't in a museum or even carefully cared for in somebody's living room, they were Bob Carver's working speakers, so you can imagine they were moved into the sound/listening room, listened to, analyzed, measured, compared, them moved out several times during the course of a design session, many times, for years!!!! I think the Genesis survived without major scratches and dents because they are so darn heavy (330 lb each) and they weren't moved so much!

                    I know all of us can appreciate the audio world historical significance of these speakers. They weren't in a museum but now they deserve to be in one. In fact I was debating if I should restore them at all or should I leave them as they are. ...

                    Having said that, they are not horrible either, all of them can be restored with some sanding, some elbow grease, wood stain and speaker grill cloth.. The Martin Logan prodigy need new or repaired woofers ($720 each according to Martin Logan!!!!) and one set of the Carver Amazings need new surrounds and ribbon repair (about $1000). As I fix or restore these speakers I'll post pictures here.

                    Sound-wise they all sound awesome! Today was the first time I really sat down and listened to the DCM Time Windows-wow! I'm very impressed with these 30 year old speakers, they don't look like much and I'll show you the "cheap? " construction next week, but they sound great! In my cozy (smallish) fireplace room they have a huge sound stage!!

                    I hope to see everyone here next week!

                    Ulises
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                      Hi everybody,

                      I'm still cleaning my house to have it decent for tomorrow meeting, the pizza is in the oven already!

                      If you haven't RSVP, That's ok, just show up tomorrow, we'll make room =)

                      If for some reason you didn't get my address and phone number, reply to this and I'll send you my info via email.

                      I'll see you all here tomorrow noonish!

                      Ulises
                    • francisco licon
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013