Re: January meeting

  • lewisisscott
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 12, 2013
      Hi Ulises,

      I just joined this group... and have to miss my first chance at a meeting. Going to New York the last weekend of January. But there is a silver lining... I will be picking up a box full of my Dad's old vinyl. Hoping some good treasures will be there.

      Scott Lewis

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
        Hi everybody! January's meeting will be Saturday January 24th from noon to whatever time the last person leaves. I'll order pizza and I'll have snacks, please bring your favorite drink! Depending on the weather, I might also throw something on the grill...

        Email me if you plan to attend and I'll email you my address, phone, etc. (I don't want to post it here since this forum is open to everybody). Or I'll ask Bob or John to email my information to every RCA'S member.

        I hope to see you all here!

        I don't have a specific theme for the meeting other than for you guys to listen to these audio treasures I got from Bob Carver, these are Bob's personal speakers, which he used as a reference to design his Carver and Sunfire equipment.

        I'll have an all Carver system, which will include my Carver Black Beauties, which just got The Absolute Sound award for high end tube amplifier of the year! I'll also have a vintage system which includes McIntosh first ever solid-state receiver (1975? I was 2 years old!) and a Pioneer turntable of the same vintage. In the movie room I'll have a concert going and/or a 3D movie in the projector.

        It will be fun! Please come by and enjoy an afternoon of listening to great music and spending time with friends.

        Ulises.
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 14, 2013
          Sorry! The 24th is a Thursday. .. The meeting is Saturday the 26th!

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Ulises A Hubbard" wrote:

          > Hi everybody! January's meeting will be Saturday January 24th from noon to whatever time the last person leaves. I'll order pizza and I'll have snacks, please bring your favorite drink! Depending on the weather, I might also throw something on the grill...
          >
          > Email me if you plan to attend and I'll email you my address, phone, etc. (I don't want to post it here since this forum is open to everybody). Or I'll ask Bob or John to email my information to every RCA'S member.
          >
          > I hope to see you all here!
          >
          > I don't have a specific theme for the meeting other than for you guys to listen to these audio treasures I got from Bob Carver, these are Bob's personal speakers, which he used as a reference to design his Carver and Sunfire equipment.
          >
          > I'll have an all Carver system, which will include my Carver Black Beauties, which just got The Absolute Sound award for high end tube amplifier of the year! I'll also have a vintage system which includes McIntosh first ever solid-state receiver (1975? I was 2 years old!) and a Pioneer turntable of the same vintage. In the movie room I'll have a concert going and/or a 3D movie in the projector.
          >
          > It will be fun! Please come by and enjoy an afternoon of listening to great music and spending time with friends.
          >
          > Ulises.

        • francisco licon
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 15, 2013
            Hi Ulises, count me in as attending! Thanks, Frank:

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 16, 2013
              I will also be attending. Thanks Ulises!

              -Steven Z.

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 16, 2013
                Hi, Ulises:

                Please count me in!  I look forward to hearing those great “new” speakers you have as well as your amp.
                My email address is:  ddisbennett@....
                See you next Saturday!

                Don

                Sent: Monday, January 14, 2013 10:28 PM

                --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "Ulises A Hubbard" wrote:

                > Hi everybody! January's
                meeting will be Saturday January 24th from noon to whatever time the last person leaves. I'll order pizza and I'll have snacks, please bring your favorite drink! Depending on the weather, I might also throw something on the grill...

                > Email me if you plan to attend and I'll email you my address, phone,
                etc. (I don't want to post it here since this forum is open to everybody). Or I'll ask Bob or John to email my information to every RCA'S member.

                > I hope to see you all here!
                >
                > I don't have a specific
                theme for the meeting other than for you guys to listen to these audio treasures I got from Bob Carver, these are Bob's personal speakers, which he used as a reference to design his Carver and Sunfire equipment.

                > I'll
                have an all Carver system, which will include my Carver Black Beauties, which just got The Absolute Sound award for high end tube amplifier of the year! I'll also have a vintage system which includes McIntosh first ever solid-state receiver (1975? I was 2 years old!) and a Pioneer turntable of the same vintage. In the movie room I'll have a concert going and/or a 3D movie in the projector.

                > It will be fun! Please come by and enjoy an afternoon of
                listening to great music and spending time with friends.

                Ulises.

              • noflatsnosharps
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 17, 2013
                  Ulises
                  Count me in.
                  Thanks,
                  Lee

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
                    Thanks to one of our newer members, Kris, looks like I'll have the Magnepan 3.6 / R operational for the meeting! !! I'm excited because I haven't been able to listen to them and I got them almost a month ago!

                    Keep sending me your replies so that I know how many people to expect. I have no limit, I'll have three different systems going so I'm sure we'll have enough room for everybody.

                    Did I mentioned I'd have free pizza! !?? =)

                    Ulises.
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
                      Ulises,
                      Have you emailed address yet. I havn't received anything
                      Alan alanhendler@...

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
                        Hi Scott,

                        Welcome to the RCA'S! !! I hope your trip to New York goes well for you. They'll be plenty of opportunities to come to meetings, this is a very fun and active group! I look forward to meeting you.

                        Ulises.
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
                          Hi Alan, I asked Bob to email my information via email. He'll send it later on this week. Thanks!

                          Ulises.
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 18, 2013
                            Ulises,
                            Thanks
                            By the way, you asked about speaker cables. I have some new cables on order
                            coming from Italy for my main system. I will then move my cables from system 1 to
                            system 2. freeing up a pair of Morrow audio SP-1 cables. They are the older ones
                            that look like Kimber 8tc cable. I think I bought them on one of Morrows many sales
                            for about $80. You could have them for $25 and some pizza. I could bring
                            them over at the meeting or sooner if you want to try them. They are bananas at each and
                             I think about 8 or 9 feet long. Let me know
                            I also have some Goetz silver speaker cable but that is a $900 cable that I would need
                            at least $250 for
                            Alan

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
                              Hi Alan, Sold! The ones for $25+pizza =) please bring them to next week's meeting, if you can. I know as I continue in this hobby I'll eventually get to really want extra-excellent speaker cables and buy some $250 dollar ones, and maybe one day further down into the future I'll be ordering my speaker cables from Italy like you!! But for now I'll go for "really good and inexpensive"...

                              Out of curiosity, what speaker cables did you order from Italy and what makes them special that you just had to have them and order them all the way from Italy?

                              I still need more speaker cable so if anybody has any, please let me know.

                              Thanks!
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
                                Ulises,
                                I will bring them
                                I have ordered a pair of HighDiamond 8 speaker cable
                                They have gotten some great reviews and someone
                                on Audiogon had heard the 3 cables I was most interested in
                                and said the HighDiamonds were just extradinary. Glad you will have
                                the Maggies up and running. What are you using for a cross over?
                                Alan

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 19, 2013
                                  Hi Alan, that's awesome! Let us know what you think of the cables once you get them...

                                  Kris came by this afternoon and let me borrow his DOD 835 ii electronic crossover. Right now I have a Yamaha Receiver, sending the signal into the electronic crossover, and from there the highs go to a Carver TFM45 and the lows go to another TFM45. (I'll connect them to the Carver tube amp next weekend if you want to. )

                                  I'm very impressed with these 3.6R's !! This is the first time I listen to Maggies and the first time I'm listening to something without at least one conventional cone driver, I was expecting great mid and high frequencies but I didn't have great hopes for bass. When I first started listening to them, I thought I was correct not to expect some bass, but as I continued tweaking, I got them to sound great, nice bass and everything! Most of my other big speakers have more bass, but the Maggies definitely have a lot more bass than I was expecting, it's been a fun evening!
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
                                    Have you ever thought of calling Magnepan and see if they could
                                    supply you with  crossover boxes for the Maggies? I have no idea
                                    what they would charge.
                                    Alan

[...]

                                  • gregguillot
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
                                      Hi Ulises,

                                      I'll be there. Looking forward to hearing those fantastic new speakers of yours!

                                      Greg

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 20, 2013
                                        Yesterday when Kris was here and I was showing him some of the speakers it dawn on me that some of you might think that these are flawless beautifull-looking speakers. The Genesis are near mint, but most of the other ones need some well deserved TLC! Some of them are probably 25-30 years old and remember they weren't in a museum or even carefully cared for in somebody's living room, they were Bob Carver's working speakers, so you can imagine they were moved into the sound/listening room, listened to, analyzed, measured, compared, them moved out several times during the course of a design session, many times, for years!!!! I think the Genesis survived without major scratches and dents because they are so darn heavy (330 lb each) and they weren't moved so much!

                                        I know all of us can appreciate the audio world historical significance of these speakers. They weren't in a museum but now they deserve to be in one. In fact I was debating if I should restore them at all or should I leave them as they are. ...

                                        Having said that, they are not horrible either, all of them can be restored with some sanding, some elbow grease, wood stain and speaker grill cloth.. The Martin Logan prodigy need new or repaired woofers ($720 each according to Martin Logan!!!!) and one set of the Carver Amazings need new surrounds and ribbon repair (about $1000). As I fix or restore these speakers I'll post pictures here.

                                        Sound-wise they all sound awesome! Today was the first time I really sat down and listened to the DCM Time Windows-wow! I'm very impressed with these 30 year old speakers, they don't look like much and I'll show you the "cheap? " construction next week, but they sound great! In my cozy (smallish) fireplace room they have a huge sound stage!!

                                        I hope to see everyone here next week!

                                        Ulises
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013
                                          Hi everybody,

                                          I'm still cleaning my house to have it decent for tomorrow meeting, the pizza is in the oven already!

                                          If you haven't RSVP, That's ok, just show up tomorrow, we'll make room =)

                                          If for some reason you didn't get my address and phone number, reply to this and I'll send you my info via email.

                                          I'll see you all here tomorrow noonish!

                                          Ulises
                                        • francisco licon
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 25, 2013