Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Fw: Adele Live

  • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012
      Joe:

      Yes, that would be interesting to know; I have both her albums, but they are both CD's. I assume they made a different master for the LP's. One thing about LP's nowadays; if someone buys the LP version they are not likely buying to their Ipod, which is not necessarily the case with the CD. By the way, the LP of Linda Ronstadt I won at the Christmas party has terrible surface noise and reminded me why I stopped buying LP's many many years ago. I wonder how much of that noise might be removed by a good record cleaning machine (like Bob's) and how much is actually part of the LP surface itself. Of course, that LP is not one of the new 180 gm. audiophile discs. I used my Discwasher (original) on it before I played it.

      Don

    • Matt
      Message 2 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
        Joe, the stuff I have seen would indicate that the album should have noticeably less compression than the CD and should sound better than the CD. There may also be a discrepancy in production quality between the US pressing and the European pressing. The US having more pops, clicks and surface noise. However, there is some difference of opinion on that.
        That said, my experience with new vinyl (re-issues or recent artists' first pressings) is that I just have to listen to my specific copy. Some are excellent, while others are not worthy, and as far as I can determine there is no ryme or reason involved. Maybe production quality has always been up and down the scale, and I just never cared back when vinyl was king. Don't get me started though.
        So, if you just can't wait to get the phono preamp come over and give your specific copy a spin on the system over here. I'm free again most weekends now that the holiday hubbub is over. Most weekends are good.

        Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM
        Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Fw: Adele Live

        This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

          Thanks for the offer,Matt. I might take you up on that after I get over the Flu . And you're exactly correct-record quality has ALWAYS been all over the map . No logic to it ,except classical usually is better than the rest.I once read an industry insider that quality of product is not even in the top 5 considerations of the music Business.    Happy New Year !  Joe

          Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM