Fw: Adele Live

    Message 1 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
      This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

      Message 2 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
        Hi, Joe:

        Thanks for sending the mini-concert of Adele.  I have both her albums, but they have lots of compression on them and aren’t really great audio quality.  The performance itself, is, of course, wonderful.
        However, it you really want to hear how Adele sounds, pick up the Blu-Ray disc of her live concert at Prince Albert Hall.  It is recorded in uncompressed, mulit-channel audio and really sounds spectacular.  I think you would enjoy it.
        Take care.

        Don

        Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM
        Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Fw: Adele Live

        Message 3 of 12 , Dec 29, 2012
          Don,
          I got to agree. The Blue Ray also includes a cd which also is the best sound
          ever produced for Adele. Interesting that the best sound comes from a live concert as
          opposed to the two studio recordings
          Alan

          Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

          This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

            I will have to go check my copy of the Blu-ray as I must have missed the cd copy of her music.  Yeah, I love her music, but her two albums both sound like mp3’s they are so compressed.  Its really a shame what they do to these performers recordings nowadays.  I guess they assume everyone is going to rip them to mp3 a listen on their Ipod with the stock crappy earbuds.
            That is one reason I mostly listen to jazz as it seems like they are better recorded as a whole as compared to pop/rock.

            Don

            Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

            This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

              Thanks,Don . I have the blu ray and have played excerpts of it for both Steven Z and Matt S and they both enjoyed it,too.Stereo only in my system .

              Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

              This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

                In addition, I guess I am used to all the compression they are using in pop music now days, and had not consciously thought about the impact it has had on Adele's CDs. However, now that you mention it I am realizing they rarely get spin time in my system. Compression may be a contributing subliminal influence on not playing the CDs as often as one might expect for an artist of her excellence. In contrast I play the Blu-Ray frequently.

                Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

                Message 7 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012
                  Matt, Joe, Don & Alan, I followed the Adele Blue Ray thread and, now that I'm back in town, I'll be headed to BestBuy for a copy on my lunch break today. I really enjoy her music as well but can attest to the poor quality recordings of her first two releases, especially 19. I actually played that cd at a past meetings at Bjorns, before her celebrity blew up, and was asked to please turn it off by one of our more keen eared members, lol!
                  Anyway, I can't wait to hear the high def live recording. Thanks and happy new year to all!
                  David W

                  To: rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com
                  From: thudeets@...
                  Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2012 15:03:51 -0800

                  Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

                  This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

                    One thing I wonder about is how much compression was used for the LP mastering of Adele's first two albums . I have 21, but it's still sealed waiting for me to get a replacement phono preamp .

                    Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

                    This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

                      Yes, that would be interesting to know; I have both her albums, but they are both CD's. I assume they made a different master for the LP's. One thing about LP's nowadays; if someone buys the LP version they are not likely buying to their Ipod, which is not necessarily the case with the CD. By the way, the LP of Linda Ronstadt I won at the Christmas party has terrible surface noise and reminded me why I stopped buying LP's many many years ago. I wonder how much of that noise might be removed by a good record cleaning machine (like Bob's) and how much is actually part of the LP surface itself. Of course, that LP is not one of the new 180 gm. audiophile discs. I used my Discwasher (original) on it before I played it.

                      Don

                    • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                      Message 10 of 12 , Dec 31, 2012
                        Joe:

                        Yes, that would be interesting to know; I have both her albums, but they are both CD's. I assume they made a different master for the LP's. One thing about LP's nowadays; if someone buys the LP version they are not likely buying to their Ipod, which is not necessarily the case with the CD. By the way, the LP of Linda Ronstadt I won at the Christmas party has terrible surface noise and reminded me why I stopped buying LP's many many years ago. I wonder how much of that noise might be removed by a good record cleaning machine (like Bob's) and how much is actually part of the LP surface itself. Of course, that LP is not one of the new 180 gm. audiophile discs. I used my Discwasher (original) on it before I played it.

                        Don
                        ---- Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:
                        > One thing I wonder about is how much compression was used for the LP mastering of Adele's first two albums . I have 21, but it's still sealed waiting for me to get a replacement phono preamp .

                      • Matt
                        Message 11 of 12 , Jan 1, 2013
                          Joe, the stuff I have seen would indicate that the album should have noticeably less compression than the CD and should sound better than the CD. There may also be a discrepancy in production quality between the US pressing and the European pressing. The US having more pops, clicks and surface noise. However, there is some difference of opinion on that.
                          That said, my experience with new vinyl (re-issues or recent artists' first pressings) is that I just have to listen to my specific copy. Some are excellent, while others are not worthy, and as far as I can determine there is no ryme or reason involved. Maybe production quality has always been up and down the scale, and I just never cared back when vinyl was king. Don't get me started though.
                          So, if you just can't wait to get the phono preamp come over and give your specific copy a spin on the system over here. I'm free again most weekends now that the holiday hubbub is over. Most weekends are good.

                          Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM

                          This is from BBC tele and may not be here long !!! I wish there were a way to record youtube videos off a computer . My brother Dave sent this link . Thanks to him !    Joe Bohan

                            Thanks for the offer,Matt. I might take you up on that after I get over the Flu . And you're exactly correct-record quality has ALWAYS been all over the map . No logic to it ,except classical usually is better than the rest.I once read an industry insider that quality of product is not even in the top 5 considerations of the music Business.    Happy New Year !  Joe

                            Sent: Saturday, December 29, 2012 9:56 AM