Re: Magnepan 3.6R speakers

    Message 1 of 15 , Dec 12, 2012
      Hi Don, thanks for the good wishes on my return trip.! This return trip is another thing I'm looking forward as well. My dad is coming with me on this trip, so we'll have 30+ hours in the course of 3-4 days to do nothing but drive and talk. He's 77 and retired, I'm almost 40 the age when you tend to look at your life and what you want to do with the rest if it, re evaluate priorities, etc so we'll have lots to talk about! It will be fun!
      Message 2 of 15 , Dec 12, 2012
        This really puts things into perspective. The speakers are cool but they are just stuff. The time with your Dad is invaluable. I envy you so much. My Dad died at 54. I missed so many years of these kinds of talks and just hanging out together. So my friend, talk a lot, listen even more and soak it all in like a sponge. You will be making memories.

        Luther

        Message 3 of 15 , Dec 12, 2012
          That sounds great Ulises. I would love to hear the Genesis speakers; my first real hi fi speakers were Infinity from Arnie Nudell before he sold the company and they went downhill. I think they were the IRS with EMIT tweeters and actually looked a lot like my Sonus Faber except they had a warm oak finish. I wish I still had them! Let me know when you decide about january and I will make the announcements.....
          Bob

          Message 4 of 15 , Dec 12, 2012
            If anyone is interested in a pair of Infinity Delta Speakers with the outboard crossover, e-mail me.

            Houdini

            Message 5 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
              Hi Luther, Thanks for the great advice, I will definitely take advantage and enjoy these days with my dad, it will be a pretty cool adventure!
              Message 6 of 15 , Dec 14, 2012
                Ulises,
                Remember when transporting the Maggies to put in place the ribbon protector
                The ribbon can be easily broken when moving without the protector in place
                Have fun
                Alan

                Message 7 of 15 , Dec 21, 2012
                  Hi Alan, I got the Maggies at home. I can't wait to hear them, but we couldn't find the x-overs ay Bob's house. I searched eBay for a replacement and couldn't find anything. I got Dave's custom x overs for Maggies, but I don't know if they're high pass filters, or low pass, I hooked it up to a different speaker and couldn't tell what it does. Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
                • fredt300b
                  Message 8 of 15 , Dec 22, 2012

                    The MG3.6 external crossover box contains only part of the speaker's total crossover circuit. If you can't find the original it would be very easy to replicate it. You could even use some better quality parts, although that isn't necessary. Here's a link to a color coded schematic that indicates which elements are in the box versus permanently installed in the speaker itself: http://www.integracoustics.com/MUG/MUG/tweaks/mag3.6xover.html

                    Message 9 of 15 , Dec 22, 2012
                      Ulises,
                      The custom xovers might just be the same as the regular xovers but with better parts.
                      Do you know if they were used with the maggies in a passive mode or were they part of
                       a bi-amp electronic setup. If you go to the planer section of Audio Asylum and do a search you should be able to find a schematic
                      of what is in the external box. If I get some time I will try to hunt this down