Re: Fleawatt

  • stevenzaiontz
    Message 1 of 22 , Oct 10, 2012
      That's right, I completely forgot about that. I also forgot about having the Hawthornes on the Miniwatt as well. Seems my mind is slipping and I've already "been there done that". Hahaha. In any case, I'm just bored and kicking around ideas. Trying to convince myself to build yet another speaker.

      I think on this next go-around I'll be trying open baffle again and grabbing a pair of the Hawthorne Audio Sterling Silver Iris 15" coaxial drivers and mating them with a pair of Hawthorne Audio 15" Augie woofers for a true "full range" open baffle speaker. When that happens I'll go ahead and pick up another fleawatt tube amp to use. Surprisingly the Miniwatt amp that you and I have does a great job and is much more than just the toy-ish piece that it's looks give off.

      There's just something about low powered amps and high efficiency speakers that intrigues me. Oh the joys of audio....

      -Steven

      Message 2 of 22 , Oct 10, 2012
        I have a couple different solid state and tube amps less than 10 watts (as low as 1.5) and some full range Fostex Chili Changs.

        Luther

        Message 3 of 22 , Oct 10, 2012
          Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound
          Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph.

          Just curious. Any of you guys running low powered tube or ss amps with high efficiency drivers? I.e. less than 10wpc and 95db+ sensitivity speakers? I've been intrigued by this for quite a while and though about building a separate system using a 2wpc Decware amp. Anybody with thoughts, opinions, or experience?

          -Steven

        • gregguillot
          Message 4 of 22 , Oct 17, 2012
            I have my little maggie refurbed single ended amp (approx 2 wpc) that we hooked up to the Hawthorns at John's house a couple of months ago - I thought the combination sounded pretty darn good. I don't have any efficient speakers myself yet that match the maggie but I would love to build a set. OB is definitely intriguing!

            --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:

            > Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound
            > Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph.
            >

            > ________________________________

          • stevenzaiontz
            Message 5 of 22 , Oct 17, 2012
              Luther: What solid state flea watt amps do you have? Any Nelson Pass F's?

              Greg: If/when you're ready to go open baffle let me know. I may be able to help.

              Everyone: I stopped by Joe's house on Monday to listen to the Hawthornes on his 2A3 monoblocks and boy oh boy was I surprised. We listened to an Alison Krauss DVD performance where Jerry Douglas did a couple solo songs with his dobro. What a nice experience that was. I encourage you guys to take advantage of this traveling speaker project and hear them for yourselves on your own systems. Though they work best in larger rooms, they can also be right at home in smaller spaces so don't let their size keep you from giving them a test run.

              I think it would be a neat idea for a future club meeting to bring the Hawthornes along and listen to them with various "Fleawatt" amps that members bring to audition.

              Speaking of meetings, does anyone have any idea when/where the next one will be held and what the topic might be?

              -Steven Z.

              --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "gregguillot" <greg.guillot@...> wrote:

              > I have my little maggie refurbed single ended amp (approx 2 wpc) that we hooked up to the Hawthorns at John's house a couple of months ago - I thought the combination sounded pretty darn good. I don't have any efficient speakers myself yet that match the maggie but I would love to build a set. OB is definitely intriguing!
              >
              > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound
              > > Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph.
              > >

              > > ________________________________

            • gregguillot
              Message 6 of 22 , Oct 19, 2012
                I think this would be an excellent topic for an upcoming meeting - fleawatt amps and highly efficient speakers. The Hawthornes would be a great baseline in order to compare the different fleawatt amps.

                Message 7 of 22 , Oct 19, 2012
                  I agree,
                  I have a Miniwatt and also a Transcendant sound single ended OTL
                  I could bring to a meeting
                  Alan

                  Message 8 of 22 , Oct 19, 2012
                    I agree and I could offer my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET Welborne Labs Moondog monoblocks for this meeting if someone could offer to help me get them there as I have no car . They are presently driving the Hawthornes in place of my minitower Klipsch RF-5's . It's about time someone else gets to try out these fine Open Baffle speakers. They make me wonder how much better their Sterling Silver line could sound .  Joe Bohan

                    --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "stevenzaiontz" <szaiontz@...> wrote:

                    > Luther: What solid state flea watt amps do you have? Any Nelson Pass F's?
                    >
                    > Greg: If/when you're ready to go open baffle let me know. I may be able to help.
                    >
                    > Everyone: I stopped by Joe's house on Monday to listen to the Hawthornes on his 2A3 monoblocks and boy oh boy was I surprised. We listened to an Alison Krauss DVD performance where Jerry Douglas did a couple solo songs with his dobro. What a nice experience that was. I encourage you guys to take advantage of this traveling speaker project and hear them for yourselves on your own systems. Though they work best in larger rooms, they can also be right at home in smaller spaces so don't let their size keep you from giving them a test run.
                    >
                    > I think it would be a neat idea for a future club meeting to bring the Hawthornes along and listen to them with various "Fleawatt" amps that members bring to audition.
                    >
                    > Speaking of meetings, does anyone have any idea when/where the next one will be held and what the topic might be?
                    >

                    > -Steven Z.
                    >

                    > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "gregguillot" <greg.guillot@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > I have my little maggie refurbed single ended amp (approx 2 wpc) that we hooked up to the Hawthorns at John's house a couple of months ago - I thought the combination sounded pretty darn good. I don't have any efficient speakers myself yet that match the maggie but I would love to build a set. OB is definitely intriguing!
                    > >
                    > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote:
                    > > >
                    > > > Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound
                    > > > Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph.
                    > > >

                    > > > ________________________________

                  • stevenzaiontz
                    Message 9 of 22 , Oct 19, 2012
                      Count me in to bring a low powered Tripath based chip amp. Let's do this.

                      -Steven

                      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:

                      > I agree and I could offer my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET Welborne Labs Moondog monoblocks for this meeting if someone could offer to help me get them there as I have no car . They are presently driving the Hawthornes in place of my minitower Klipsch RF-5's . It's about time someone else gets to try out these fine Open Baffle speakers. They make me wonder how much better their Sterling Silver line could sound .  Joe Bohan
                      >

                      > ________________________________

                    • Matt Solorio
                      Message 10 of 22 , Oct 19, 2012
                        Joe, I am in your neck of the woods so to speak. I could probably help you get them there.

                        ---Matt

                        I agree and I could offer my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET Welborne Labs Moondog monoblocks for this meeting if someone could offer to help me get them there as I have no car . They are presently driving the Hawthornes in place of my minitower Klipsch RF-5's . It's about time someone else gets to try out these fine Open Baffle speakers. They make me wonder how much better their Sterling Silver line could sound .  Joe Bohan

                        I think this would be an excellent topic for an upcoming meeting - fleawatt amps and highly efficient speakers. The Hawthornes would be a great baseline in order to compare the different fleawatt amps. --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "stevenzaiontz" <szaiontz@...> wrote: > > Luther: What solid state flea watt amps do you have? Any Nelson Pass F's? > > Greg: If/when you're ready to go open baffle let me know. I may be able to help. > > Everyone: I stopped by Joe's house on Monday to listen to the Hawthornes on his 2A3 monoblocks and boy oh boy was I surprised. We listened to an Alison Krauss DVD performance where Jerry Douglas did a couple solo songs with his dobro. What a nice experience that was. I encourage you guys to take advantage of this traveling speaker project and hear them for yourselves on your own systems. Though they work best in larger rooms, they can also be right at home in smaller spaces so don't let their size keep you from giving them a test run. > > I think it would be a neat idea for a future club meeting to bring the Hawthornes along and listen to them with various "Fleawatt" amps that members bring to audition. > > Speaking of meetings, does anyone have any idea when/where the next one will be held and what the topic might be? > > > -Steven Z. > > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "gregguillot" <greg.guillot@> wrote: > > > > I have my little maggie refurbed single ended amp (approx 2 wpc) that we hooked up to the Hawthorns at John's house a couple of months ago - I thought the combination sounded pretty darn good. I don't have any efficient speakers myself yet that match the maggie but I would love to build a set. OB is definitely intriguing! > > > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote: > > > > > > Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound > > > Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph. > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > > From: stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@> > > > To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:59 PM > > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Fleawatt > > > > > > > > >   > > > Just curious. Any of you guys running low powered tube or ss amps with high efficiency drivers? I.e. less than 10wpc and 95db+ sensitivity speakers? I've been intrigued by this for quite a while and though about building a separate system using a 2wpc Decware amp. Anybody with thoughts, opinions, or experience? > > > > > > -Steven > > > > > >
                        Message 11 of 22 , Oct 20, 2012
                          Thank you , Matt ! I value your frienship and assistance highly . On another note , does anyone know who gets the Hawthorne open baffle speakers next ?   Joe Bohan

> [...]

                          I think this would be an excellent topic for an upcoming meeting - fleawatt amps and highly efficient speakers. The Hawthornes would be a great baseline in order to compare the different fleawatt amps. --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "stevenzaiontz" <szaiontz@...> wrote: > > Luther: What solid state flea watt amps do you have? Any Nelson Pass F's? > > Greg: If/when you're ready to go open baffle let me know. I may be able to help. > > Everyone: I stopped by Joe's house on Monday to listen to the Hawthornes on his 2A3 monoblocks and boy oh boy was I surprised. We listened to an Alison Krauss DVD performance where Jerry Douglas did a couple solo songs with his dobro. What a nice experience that was. I encourage you guys to take advantage of this traveling speaker project and hear them for yourselves on your own systems. Though they work best in larger rooms, they can also be right at home in smaller spaces so don't let their size keep you from giving them a test run. > > I think it would be a neat idea for a future club meeting to bring the Hawthornes along and listen to them with various "Fleawatt" amps that members bring to audition. > > Speaking of meetings, does anyone have any idea when/where the next one will be held and what the topic might be? > > > -Steven Z. > > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "gregguillot" <greg.guillot@> wrote: > > > > I have my little maggie refurbed single ended amp (approx 2 wpc) that we hooked up to the Hawthorns at John's house a couple of months ago - I thought the combination sounded pretty darn good. I don't have any efficient speakers myself yet that match the maggie but I would love to build a set. OB is definitely intriguing! > > > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote: > > > > > > Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound > > > Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph. > > > > > > > > > > > > ________________________________ > > > From: stevenzaiontz <szaiontz@> > > > To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com > > > Sent: Wednesday, October 10, 2012 2:59 PM > > > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Fleawatt > > > > > > > > >   > > > Just curious. Any of you guys running low powered tube or ss amps with high efficiency drivers? I.e. less than 10wpc and 95db+ sensitivity speakers? I've been intrigued by this for quite a while and though about building a separate system using a 2wpc Decware amp. Anybody with thoughts, opinions, or experience?
                        • gregguillot
                          Message 12 of 22 , Oct 20, 2012
                            I don't know who is keeping tabs on who's in line next, but I'll certainly take a turn if no one else is next. Looking forward to some extended listening time with my little maggie and those OB's.

                            Message 13 of 22 , Oct 20, 2012
                              Let me know when you'd like to pick them up. I will be here tomorrow.last day of my vacation. Weekdays I don't get home before 6:30 P.M. Home phone 637-1428 Northeast side of town .

                              Message 14 of 22 , Oct 21, 2012
                                Hey, Joe:

                                I think I was next in line for the Hawthornes, but it looks like Greg wants them and I have just reconfigured my home theater and also bought a new wireless bridge I need to set up, so Greg is welcome to them now and I’ll get them next time around.

                                Don

                                Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:50 PM

                                <thudeets@...>
                                href="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" rel=nofollow target=_blank ymailto="mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com">mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com>

                                ________________________________
                                <bohan.joseph@...>

                                <greg.guillot@...>

                                Message 15 of 22 , Oct 21, 2012
                                  OK, Don. I didn't know if there was a list or who was promised. Didn't mean to step on your toes ! I hope it all works out fine for all . Joe

                                  Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:50 PM

                                  Let me know when you'd like to pick them up. I will be here tomorrow.last day of my vacation. Weekdays I don't get home before 6:30 P.M. Home phone 637-1428 Northeast side of town .

                                  I don't know who is keeping tabs on who's in line next, but I'll certainly take a turn if no one else is next. Looking forward to some extended listening time with my little maggie and those OB's. --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote: > > Thank you , Matt ! I value your frienship and assistance highly . On another note , does anyone know who gets the Hawthorne open baffle speakers next ?   Joe Bohan > > > > > ________________________________ > From: Matt Solorio <thudeets@...> > To: "mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 9:51 PM > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Fleawatt > >   > Joe, I am in your neck of the woods so to speak. I could probably help you get them there. >  > ---Matt > > > ________________________________ > From: Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> > To: "mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com" <mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com> > Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 4:25 PM > Subject: Re: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Fleawatt > >   > I agree and I could offer my 3.5 watt 2A3 SET Welborne Labs Moondog monoblocks for this meeting if someone could offer to help me get them there as I have no car . They are presently driving the Hawthornes in place of my minitower Klipsch RF-5's . It's about time someone else gets to try out these fine Open Baffle speakers. They make me wonder how much better their Sterling Silver line could sound .  Joe Bohan > > > > > ________________________________ > From: gregguillot <greg.guillot@...> > To: mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com > Sent: Friday, October 19, 2012 11:59 AM > Subject: [rivercityaudiosociety] Re: Fleawatt > >   > I think this would be an excellent topic for an upcoming meeting - fleawatt amps and highly efficient speakers. The Hawthornes would be a great baseline in order to compare the different fleawatt amps. --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "stevenzaiontz" <szaiontz@> wrote: > > Luther: What solid state flea watt amps do you have? Any Nelson Pass F's? > > Greg: If/when you're ready to go open baffle let me know. I may be able to help. > > Everyone: I stopped by Joe's house on Monday to listen to the Hawthornes on his 2A3 monoblocks and boy oh boy was I surprised. We listened to an Alison Krauss DVD performance where Jerry Douglas did a couple solo songs with his dobro. What a nice experience that was. I encourage you guys to take advantage of this traveling speaker project and hear them for yourselves on your own systems. Though they work best in larger rooms, they can also be right at home in smaller spaces so don't let their size > keep you from giving them a test run. > > I think it would be a neat idea for a future club meeting to bring the Hawthornes along and listen to them with various "Fleawatt" amps that members bring to audition. > > Speaking of meetings, does anyone have any idea when/where the next one will be held and what the topic might be? > > > -Steven Z. > > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, "gregguillot" <greg.guillot@> wrote: > > > > I have my little maggie refurbed single ended amp (approx 2 wpc) that we hooked up to the Hawthorns at John's house a couple of months ago - I thought the combination sounded pretty darn good. I don't have any efficient speakers myself yet that match the maggie but I would love to build a set. OB is definitely intriguing! > > > > --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote: > > > > > > Hi, Steven !  I have the RCAS Hawthorne's at the moment driven by my 3.5 watt > 2A3 SET amps. You're welcome to come listen if you'd like. My own speakers are the Klipsch 98dB RF-5's.I should have my new player installed before Saturday and I'm on vacation here all next week. I am impressed with these Hawthorn's and would love to hear their Sterling Silver model.The Decware amps are well liked,it seems. I would also consider the new Transcendent Sound > > > Son Of Beast OTL 15 watt push-pull amp if it were me. Active preamp recommended for that one,so my passive might not give enough oomph. > > > > > > > > > >
                                  Message 16 of 22 , Oct 21, 2012
                                    Hey, Joe:

                                    Not a problem, my friend!  As I stated, I am plenty busy right now since returning from RMAF, doing laundry, cleaning house, plus reconfiguring my home theater system, etc.  So it is really not an issue and you certainly didn’t step on my toes in any way.  So please let Greg have them when you are finished and hopefully by the time he is done with them, I’ll be ready to give them a go.

                                    Don

                                    Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:58 AM

                                    Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:50 PM

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Oct 21, 2012
                                      He phoned and came over to pick them up at 4PM today.Had a nice brief visit and showed him my collection of vintage tube gear in the bedroom as well as explained my wire upgrade of the OB speakers .  Joe

                                      Sent: Sunday, October 21, 2012 10:58 AM

                                      Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2012 10:50 PM

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Oct 22, 2012
                                        Hi Don,

                                        Sorry, I didn't mean to jump ahead of you! I am trying them out with my various vintage small tube amps and trying to find a way to help improve them - no "low hanging fruit" there - these speakers are quite nice in the right setup.

                                        Thanks,
                                        Greg

                                      • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                                        Message 19 of 22 , Oct 22, 2012
                                          Hi, Greg:

                                          Not a problem! It will be interesting when I do get them to see how they respond to a "high power" solid state amp, since I don't have any tube gear. I will be curious to see if they sound good to me using that type of amp in my home setting. I have several different brands, including some high end receivers; I may even use the Audyssey room correction on them to see how they perform with a bit of EQ as compared to just a straight power amp. I will let everyone know what I find under those conditions. Will be good to hear your findings as well.

                                          Don

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Oct 22, 2012