Saturday at the Houston Audio Society Meeting

    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 8, 2012
      Luther and I attended the Houston meeting this past Saturday at Fred's house. It was all very interesting with demonstrations of some new DIY speaker projects that Fred has built, as well as a "vintage" Acoustat electrostatic model from Buddy Allen, formerly of Acoustat and now a musician. Fred went so far as to use a computer program and diagnostic tools to plot the frequency response of his speakers and then explain how he can adjust for this and also problems with the room acoustics. I cant claim to understand it all, but the bottom line is it was a fascinating presentation. He also has a lot of insight into the influence of crossovers on speakers as well. Fred has agreed to make this presentation to the RCAS next year so we need to decide if this is a topic we would like. My vote is absolutely!

      There was also a demonstration of different stand mounted speakers (Luther brought the yellow pair that he has brought to our meetings as well) and Fred had some "cheapo" speakers that he demonstrated in stock condition and then with the volume of the cabinet modified. They looked ugly, but you could certainly hear the benefits of the cabinet mods.
      Luthers "yellows" with the Heil like tweeter were great as usual.

      Another member had a DIY speaker that to me looked like an Usher Dancer (form wise that is) and it used a ceramic tweeter to good effect. Really great imaging.

      All in all it was a great meeting and provided some new ideas for our meetings as well. We will have a lot to discuss after the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest this week so i look forward to that event and will post some observations after the show (as I suspect Don and Roger and Dave will also).

      Bob
    • fredt300b
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 9, 2012

        Bob, thanks for the kind words. It was good to have some RCAS visitors at our meeting. It's an easy drive, and it gives Luther an excuse to visit Buc-ee's, so I hope we'll have some RCAS visitors at future meetings. Luther posted some pictures here: http://lonestarbottleheads.org/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=55

        My plan for a RCAS meeting would be to repeat the part where we auditioned a few standmount speakers and discussed their measured on-axis in-room frequency response versus our subjective perceptions of their sound quality. I used the Dayton Audio Omni-Mic system, with the response graphs displayed on a 42" flatscreen TV so everybody could see them. I used my Selah Audio TRT's as a reference. I would not be able to bring these speakers, so it would be great if we could use a comparable quality speaker pair such as Steven's Zaph Audio SR-71's.  We compared the reference speakers to a stock pair and a modded pair of $29/pr Dayton Audio B-652's. The modded pair had Zaph Krutke's recommended crossover, and the interior volume was almost doubled to provide better bass. Here's the link to Zaph's page on modding the B-652: http://www.zaphaudio.com/Dayton-B652.html

        If there's any interst I can do this in Feb of next year or later in the year.