Re: RCAS Traveling Project Speakers

  • gregguillot
    Message 1 of 24 , Sep 20, 2012
      Are these the OB speakers that we hooked up to my little magnavox SEP amp at John's house? The combination sounded great! I would certainly be interested in borrowing them for a while as I am contemplating building very high efficiency speakers to work with the little amp. Also building a pair of valve based active crossovers. Count me in on the Traveling Speakers project, and I may have a few devices to contribute to the traveling bandwagon.

      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 20, 2012
        Hi, Greg ! Yes ,the same speakers. Right now they are hooked up to my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 SET amps and sounding sweet. Like the tweeter better than my Klipsch's.  Joe

        --- In mailto:rivercityaudiosociety%40yahoogroups.com, Robert Guerin <godzilla56@...> wrote:

        > Joe, i have the same pioneer although it records. The real weak spot is the DAC. Would be fun to hook it up to modern dac and see how it sounds.
        > Bob
        >
        > Sent from my iPad
        >
        > On 20 Sep 2012, at 12:50, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:
        >
        > > Gret idea ! One suggestion I've learned loaning CD's is to write down to whom you loaned it so you don't forget. Memory is so slippery. The only surplus gear I have is a Pioneer PD-65 CD player with the stable platter mechanism and what they called " Legato Link " circuit in the analog output . Bought it as a transport with coax out and could hear no difference over a cheap dvd player as transport on red book CD's . Joe

      • vintagehifisteve
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 20, 2012
          I'm glad you guys are liking the Hawthornes and this project is taking shape as a great experience for people to hear them in their rooms. I have a suggestion about modding these that will without a doubt make a large improvement in their sound.

          Before they became property of John I had planned on adding this product to the rear baffle, therefore covering the entire surface area and even adding strips to the frame of the driver. This will completely eliminate any panel resonance and should solidify the vocals and bass output significantly. Below are two links of the product from Lowes and Home Depot. It's a very inexpensive mod and should be considered as a serious tweak.

          http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?productId=1018733

          http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100594339/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=quick+roof&storeId=10051#.UFu5h42PW68

          Application is easy, just unroll it, cut to size, peal the back off, and apply. I hope someone takes the time and effort to do this mod. I'd like to see/hear how it sounds after completed.

          Cheers,
          Steven

          --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@...> wrote:

          > Hi, Greg ! Yes ,the same speakers. Right now they are hooked up to my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 SET amps and sounding sweet. Like the tweeter better than my Klipsch's.  Joe
          >

          > ________________________________

        • Matt Solorio
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
            Jo, sounds good. Just let me know if your work schedule accomodates. If not, not to worry.

            To all, I am enjoying all the great emails recently! Bob, thanks for the updates from Europe.

            ----Matt

            Message 5 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
              Sorry for such short notice,but YES Saturday is best. Nearly any time after noon. Sunday late also possible , but can't say what time my brother will have me back from a visit with Mom. Usually by 7:30 P.M. . Speakers still have the original wires. Haven't started making new set yet . Also OK to call me at work 494-0429 10-5 .   Joe

[...]

              From this repeating thought came the idea to share the fun and exploration of audio with my fellow RCAS. Why not let the fabulous DIY Hawthorne 15" coax speakers that Steven built and are in my home become the RCAS traveling project speakers. Let them travel to the members' homes that want to hear the Hawthornes with their own equipment and find out if there are any differences due to different rooms, synergies and equipment.

              Also if you guys want to make changes to the speakers within reason I think that would be fun too. We could discuss it first on our forum as to what you want to do and if the change/s sound like a good idea to the rest of the guys; let's do it (I'll pay for the parts)!

              Took me awhile to compose this and in the meantime the speakers have already started their journey with Joe B. taking them first and I believe he wants to change the wiring. Joe also wanted me to relay that members are very welcome to hear them at his place too.

              Everyone please jump in with your ideas on this and please let me know who wants to have them next.

              Happy Listening,

              John

            • Strike Force Bravo
              Message 6 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
                Denise and I will be going again for our 3rd straight year. Always good to get out of the heat for a few days and Denver is beautiful in October. Hope to see some other RCAs there. I promise to wear my RCA shirt this year! :-)

              • ddisbennett@satx.rr.com
                Message 7 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
                  Hi, Dave:

                  It looks like we may be the only members going this year! This will be my first time; are you staying for the entire event? I am actually going up the day before and either going back on Sunday or maybe even Monday. I think Bob had intended to go, but his European trip seems to have killed that for this year. What hotel are you staying in? Maybe we can get together for dinner one evening if you have time?

                  Don
                  ---- Strike Force Bravo <dburgin17@...> wrote:
                  > Denise and I will be going again for our 3rd straight year. Always good to get out of the heat for a few days and Denver is beautiful in October. Hope to see some other RCAs there. I promise to wear my RCA shirt this year! :-)
                  >
                  > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, <ddisbennett@...> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > John:
                  > >
                  > > Sorry to hear that you won't be attending RMAF this year, but I totally understand. If given the chance, I would gladly choose the Tokyo Audio Show over RMAF too! Japan has always been the "mother ship" as far as great audio gear, especially electronics, is concerned. Those people are "serious" when it comes to their audio gear and they have produced some truly beautiful looking and sounding gear over the years. All we get are black boxes with no style in the USA. LOL
                  > >
                  > > Bob: Are you still planning on going to RMAF? Any other RCAS members going?
                  > >
                  > > Don
                  > > ---- ksboudro <ksboudro@...> wrote:
                  > > > Thanks Don, Matt, Joe, and Ulises for your replies and input. We might be onto a format that can multiply our audio fun by an exponential factor.
                  > > RC
                  > > > Don-I am replacing the RMAF show this year for the Japan Audio Show/Tokyo in October and then the CES in January. Wish I could do all three, but the deal with the wife is to watch the "The Notebook & Untamed Heart" again with her for letting me go. I don't think I could take another viewing of "The Wedding Planner" too for RMAF! I'll pencil you in for the Hawthornes in lat Oct/early Nov.
                  > > >
                  > > > Ulises-Great suggestion! I think you have come up with an idea that will take our audio club to another level upwards.
                  > > >
                  > > > Matt-With Ulises' idea, maybe there could be some different bookshelf Speakers or amps to try out that would work for you?
                  > > >
                  > > > Joe-Splendid idea on keeping notes and the older speaker wire for comparison purposes.
                  > > >
                  > > > Happy Listening,
                  > > > John

                • vintagehifisteve
                  Message 8 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
                    Another mod I suggest is to add spikes to help couple the speaker into the floor. That along with either sand bags in the base, or bags of lead shot should do the trick nicely.

                    Cheers,
                    Steven

                    --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "Strike Force Bravo" <dburgin17@...> wrote:

                    > Denise and I will be going again for our 3rd straight year. Always good to get out of the heat for a few days and Denver is beautiful in October. Hope to see some other RCAs there. I promise to wear my RCA shirt this year! :-)
                    >
                    > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, <ddisbennett@> wrote:
                    > >
                    > > John:
                    > >
                    > > Sorry to hear that you won't be attending RMAF this year, but I totally understand. If given the chance, I would gladly choose the Tokyo Audio Show over RMAF too! Japan has always been the "mother ship" as far as great audio gear, especially electronics, is concerned. Those people are "serious" when it comes to their audio gear and they have produced some truly beautiful looking and sounding gear over the years. All we get are black boxes with no style in the USA. LOL
                    > >
                    > > Bob: Are you still planning on going to RMAF? Any other RCAS members going?
                    > >
                    > > Don
                    > > ---- ksboudro <ksboudro@> wrote:
                    > > > Thanks Don, Matt, Joe, and Ulises for your replies and input. We might be onto a format that can multiply our audio fun by an exponential factor.
                    > > RC
                    > > > Don-I am replacing the RMAF show this year for the Japan Audio Show/Tokyo in October and then the CES in January. Wish I could do all three, but the deal with the wife is to watch the "The Notebook & Untamed Heart" again with her for letting me go. I don't think I could take another viewing of "The Wedding Planner" too for RMAF! I'll pencil you in for the Hawthornes in lat Oct/early Nov.
                    > > >
                    > > > Ulises-Great suggestion! I think you have come up with an idea that will take our audio club to another level upwards.
                    > > >
                    > > > Matt-With Ulises' idea, maybe there could be some different bookshelf Speakers or amps to try out that would work for you?
                    > > >
                    > > > Joe-Splendid idea on keeping notes and the older speaker wire for comparison purposes.
                    > > >
                    > > > Happy Listening,
                    > > > John

                  • gregguillot
                    Message 9 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
                      Hi Steven,

                      Have you found that this material acts in a similar fashion to "Dynamat"? I have a set of large Acousticraft cabinets with Bozak drivers that are experiencing some resonance issues in the cabinets - I think I will give this stuff a try. Maybe there will be enough to do my cabinets as well as the Hawthornes.

                      --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, "vintagehifisteve" <szaiontz@...> wrote:

                      > I'm glad you guys are liking the Hawthornes and this project is taking shape as a great experience for people to hear them in their rooms. I have a suggestion about modding these that will without a doubt make a large improvement in their sound.
                      >
                      > Before they became property of John I had planned on adding this product to the rear baffle, therefore covering the entire surface area and even adding strips to the frame of the driver. This will completely eliminate any panel resonance and should solidify the vocals and bass output significantly. Below are two links of the product from Lowes and Home Depot. It's a very inexpensive mod and should be considered as a serious tweak.
                      >
                      > http://www.lowes.com/pd_154017-81326-PS625_0__?productId=1018733
                      >
                      > http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-100594339/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=quick+roof&storeId=10051#.UFu5h42PW68
                      >
                      > Application is easy, just unroll it, cut to size, peal the back off, and apply. I hope someone takes the time and effort to do this mod. I'd like to see/hear how it sounds after completed.
                      >

                      > Cheers,
                      > Steven
                      >

                      > --- In rivercityaudiosociety@yahoogroups.com, Joseph Bohan <bohan.joseph@> wrote:
                      > >
                      > > Hi, Greg ! Yes ,the same speakers. Right now they are hooked up to my Welborne Labs Moondog 2A3 SET amps and sounding sweet. Like the tweeter better than my Klipsch's.  Joe
                      > >

                      > > ________________________________

                    • stevenzaiontz
                      Message 10 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
                        Hey Greg, yes this is the same material as Dynamat. Though, you only have a 6" width with these products, they do make wider widths but aren't available locally that I've found. If you're having resonance issues with your Bozak speakers then this might just be the ticket. Keep in mind though, this will stop panel resonance, but not standing waves. That in itself is a whole nother issue in itself.

                        -Steven

                        Message 11 of 24 , Sep 21, 2012
                          Joe, great! I can be there Saturday around 1. See you then. I am looking forward to hearing them even with the original wiring. ---Matt

                          Message 12 of 24 , Sep 22, 2012
                            Fine .  Come on !

                            Message 13 of 24 , Sep 23, 2012
                              I had a great time at Joe's yesterday slooshying tuneage and viddying cine through his awesome tube setup with the Hawthornes from John hooked up to it.

                              They sounded very nice. Beyond that I won't go into detail becuase I know you who are in line to audition the hawthornes in may be benchmarking, and as Joe was saying yesterday comments could add to or influence the control tests. (I am paraphrasing.)

                              Anyway thanks to Joe for a great critical listening session, and thanks to John for letting the hawthornes go on tour. I think that is such a great idea and a generous one too.