Re: [rishiculture] IMMEDIATE CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTS OF PRANAVA PRANAYAMA IN HYPERTENSIVE PATIENTS

  • Sri Devi Switzerland
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 1 3:32 AM
      Namaste, dear Ananda

      With interest I read your pilot study.
      Pranava Pranayma with nada is new to me in Shavasana. Is there a specific reason why in lying down position and not in sitting position? I tried it and found myself not at ease. May be because I am conditioned to it since 20 years in a sitting position. I am looking forward to hear from your next study in the sitting position. I am also interested in hearing from other students from their experience of Pranava Pranayama with nada in shavasana and also in sitting positions and the difference.

      yours in Yoga
      Sri Devi

      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 1 11:42 AM
        namas te
        will send you the details of the paper once it is done as i am getting many ideas to explain the physiological changes and it is 'top secreat' at present!!!
        ananda

        On Fri, Jul 1, 2011 at 4:02 PM, Sri Devi Switzerland <sri.devi@...> wrote:

        Namaste, dear Ananda

        With interest I read your pilot study.
        Pranava Pranayma with nada is new to me in Shavasana. Is there a specific reason why in lying down position and not in sitting position? I tried it and found myself not at ease. May be because I am conditioned to it since 20 years in a sitting position. I am looking forward to hear from your next study in the sitting position. I am also interested in hearing from other students from their experience of Pranava Pranayama with nada in shavasana and also in sitting positions and the difference.

        yours in Yoga
        Sri Devi

        Am 30.06.2011 um 08:50 schrieb Yogacharya Dr.Ananda Bhavanani:

        > namas te
        > i am giving below the pilot study we had done at ACYTER on pranava pranayama when done in the lysing down position
        > we are working on another in the sitting that has eexcellent results too
        > regards
        > ananda
        > IMMEDIATE CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTS OF PRANAVA PRANAYAMA IN HYPERTENSIVE PATIENTS
        >
        > (PILOT STUDY)
        >
        > Introduction: The use of sound vibrations as part of relaxation in shavasana is taught in some yoga schools. The present study was planned to determine the cardiovascular effects of performing shavasana with pranava pranayama involving making akara, ukara, makara and omkara nada.

        DISCLAIMER : Information transmitted in this e-mail is proprietary to Ananda Ashram at ICYER, Pondicherry, South India. It is intended only for the addressee and may contain private, confidential and/or privileged material. Review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Please be aware that this email may have been a group mailing (bcc) and if you received this through error we apologize. If you have received this communication in error, please contact us at yognat@... and delete the material from any stored format/computer.

      • Muralidharan
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2 7:09 PM
          namaste,
           i agree this practise feels a bit different.
           again shows that anyone [even if not sitting in vajrasana] can benefit in some way [as the study
            confirms] from these practises / techniques.

           murali

          Yogacharya Muralidharan Giri [ Muralee ]
          Gitananda Yoga Centre  Sydney
          26 Trevitt Road, North Ryde 2113
          NSW, Australia
          www.gitananda-australia.net (Accredited Teacher)

          Message 4 of 6 , Jan 26, 2012

            IMMEDIATE CARDIOVASCULAR EFFECTS OF PRANAVA PRANAYAMA IN HYPERTENSIVE PATIENTS

            ANANDA BALAYOGI BHAVANANI, MADANMOHAN, ZEENA SANJAY, ISHWAR V BASAVARADDI*

            ACYTER, JIPMER, Puducherry-605006 and * Morarji Desai National Institute of Yoga (MDNIY), New Delhi

            ABSTRACT:

            Slow, deep, pranayama - based breathing training has been shown to be effective in reducing blood pressure (BP). The present study was undertaken to determine immediate effects of performing pranava pranayama on cardiovascular parameters in hypertensive patients. 29 hypertensive patients who were on medical treatment and also attending yoga sessions were recruited for the present study. Supine heart rate (HR) and BP were recorded before and after performance of pranava pranayama for five minutes. Post intervention statistical analysis revealed a significant (p <0.05) reduction in systolic pressure (SP) and a more significant (p < 0.01) reduction in HR, pulse pressure and double product (Do P). The reduction in rate-pressure product (RPP) was highly significant (p< 0.001). Pranava pranayama is effective in reducing HR and SP in hypertensive patients within five minutes of the practice. This may be due to a normalization of autonomic cardiovascular rhythms as a result of increased vagal modulation and / or decreased sympathetic activity and improved baroreflex sensitivity along with an augmentation of endogenous nitric oxide production. Our findings have potential therapeutic applications in day-to-day as well as clinical situations where blood pressure needs to be brought down at the earliest. The significant fall in RPP and Do P signifies a reduction in oxygen consumption and work done by the heart. It is concluded that pranava pranayama, a simple and cost effective technique can be used in the management of hypertensive patients in addition to the regular medical management. Further studies are required to enable a deeper understanding of the mechanisms involved and its usefulness in the long term management of hypertension.

            Key words:    yoga therapy     hypertension    pranava pranayama

            DISCLAIMER : Information transmitted in this e-mail is proprietary to Ananda
            Ashram at ICYER, Pondicherry, South India. It is intended only for the
            addressee and may contain private, confidential and/or privileged material.
            Review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by
            any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Please
            be aware that this email may have been a group mailing (bcc) and if you
            received this through error we apologize. If you have received this
            communication in error, please contact us at yognat@... and delete the
            material from any stored format/computer.

          • yognat