Re: [rishiculture] Some interesting yoga research findings of dr w selvamurthy

  • Murali Dharan
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 10, 2003

       Dear Eric,
             Yoga and Epileptics.
              On the recent CDs, of Swamiji, we delivered to ICYER,Swamiji suggests Paravrit Ushthra Asana, Fingers to toes { with a Partner, for Security}, as well as both Variations of Shasha Asana, with head back.
             Step by Step Page 259, suggests Yoga Nidraa, may help also.
             Dr Ananda, also suggests, Pranava and Brahmari Pranayamas, with Emphasis on Adhyam Breath.

           You are also welcome, to our Next ,Down under Get together.

        Yours in Yoga

          Murali

      "Dr.Ananda Bhavanani" <yognat2001@...> wrote:
      i am not sure of the techniques but they seem to be some basic breathing and visualisations as sahaja means easy!
      i will see if i can find out anything but would suggest pranava pranayama and brahmari pranayama along with some relaxation training as relaxation will surely help the patient
      stress precipitates attacks and reducation of stress is possible through any yoga practice
      ananda

      The Lotus Centre <lotus.yoga.centre@...> wrote:
      Dear Ananda
      Your interesting articles plus research quoted in an email of 8/28/2003 re Sahaja yoga:
      I have looked up the meaning in Encyclopedia of Yoga by Feuerstein but wonder if you have more information about its practice. I have a student with epilipsy in one of my classes. Your email mentioned the benefit of Sahaja yoga for epileptics. How is Sahaja practised in order to attain "spontaneous" effects?
      Are there any ashrams in India teaching this branch of yoga. Do you know of books about it? Clues would be helpful and apreciated. Does anyone else have experience in this field?
      Thank you for any possible help.
      Acharya Eric Doornekamp

      Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
      25,2nd cross,Iyyanar Nagar
      Pondicherry-605 013
      tel;0413 622902/241561
      abb@...,yognat2001@...
      Website: www.icyer.com

      Do you Yahoo!?

      Yahoo! Search

    • Dr.Ananda Bhavanani
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 11, 2003
        Divine yoga family
        thanks murali for the ideas and revisiting swamijis teachings
        swamiji taught so much that sometimes we tend to look outward than inward
        brahmari and pranava (adhyam -upper chest) are soothing pranayamas and especially help re-energise the head and neck regions
        i also recommend head below heart poses such as meru asana,pada hastha and paotanna is possible to help mkore blood and energy floww upwards
        ananda
        i enclose Amma recent general letter for those who may not be getting it by post
        ananda
        -------------
        October 1st, 2003

        Divine World Family: Namastey!

        We are poised on the brink of undertaking our Annual Six Month Adventure � The Six Month International Yoga Teachers Course and Sadhana. We have gathered ten souls together (after many eliminations and screenings) and we shall see how everyone holds up to the journey. There will be challenges and triumphs and much learning for all. I am determined that this will be the best Sadhana Year of my life to date. This is a �one� year for me in a new nine-year cycle, with the �eight� dominating my activities for 27 more years.

        We have had many positive changes this year. The addition of little Dhivya Priya to our family; the completion of the four new rooms-cum-small flats complex; the near completion of the two gigantic books and so many big projects (at least by our modest standards).

        Our work at the City Centre has just grown by leaps and bounds and the community appreciates very much our efforts to preserve and revive the ancient Hindu Spiritual Cultures of Yoga, Bharat Natyam and Carnatic Music. Hundreds of children whose spirits would have been �squashed� by the growing pressure of an aggressive academization of studies are managing to maintain and develop their innate talents and spirit. Our Indian system of education has become totally insane and tyrannical. If parents protest, the Principals just flatly say, �Get out�! Kids have to go to school from 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. and then in the evening go for tuitions! Unbelievable! Now most schools are held also on Saturday, and some on Sundays! The goal of all this? Not knowledge, happiness, stability! Rather, high marks to help entrance into professional college. Last year JIPMER, our big Central Government Medical Education and Hospital where Ananda works had 35, 266 applications for 30 seats! Competition is insane!

        We feel we are giving a �supplementary education� which is as necessary as pure air and clean water and food. Our middle-class children are more deprived than our school children and more in need of help than those who starve, because these are children who have something to give the world, if their spirits are not destroyed.

        We need to expand our present premises at Yoganjali Natyalayam. It is too small and creates a chaotic atmosphere. By God�s and Guru�s grace, a big house with vacant adjacent lot have been put up for safe. It is a prohibitive cost (35 lakhs) which is 35,00,000 Rupees or US dollars 70,000. Anyway I am determined to purchase it. I will have to take a loan from the bank, the very first loan I have ever taken in my life! But I am determined to establish Yoganjali Natyalayam on a firm, ordered structure, and make it a great institution of �Supplementary Education.�

        Many of you this past year have responded to my previous calls for help, but many more have not. If you can spare something from your own tight budgets to help realizing these dreams, it is a boost for this Paramparai and chance to repay Swamiji and the Gurus for the light they have given your lives.

        SOME WAYS YOU CAN HELP:

        1.                  Make sure your YOGA LIFE Subscription is up to date. If possible, take out a Life Membership (US $ 800)

         2.                  Purchase any books of Swamiji, Ananda or mine which you do not have.

         3.                  Encourage your students to purchase books.

         4.                  Enroll your students in the Correspondence Course. Lead a group of students through the course. For groups of five or more, the Correspondence Course Cost is $300 per person which includes a two-year subscription to YOGA LIFE. (Course is photostated)

         5.                  Make an advance purchase of the two books History of Yoga From Ancient to Modern Times and The Rishi and the Rakshashas. Advance cost is $100 each or $200 for the two books. They are more like �encyclopeadias� so the actual price when released may be $ 150 each. (I will have to see my press bill).

         6.                  Hold some kind of a �benefit fund raiser� for us � a cultural programme, a drama, etc. Involve your students in it.

         7.                  Ask your students to subscribe to YOGA LIFE.

         8.                  Purchase the Tenth Anniversary Souvenir of Yoganjali Natyalayam ($30). It is a very exuberant, refreshing volume filled with young children�s observations on Yoga as well as many inspiring messages from �Yoga Seniors.�

         9.                  We still have two rooms (mini-flats) with bathroom, porch and small Kitchenette which remain to be sponsored. Sponsorship costs are US dollars 5,000. This includes lifetime use of the rooms on any visit to the Ashram, with no further donations for stay expected.

         All financial help should be sent in form of Bank Draft, Travellers Cheque or International Money Order made in the name of Yoga Jivana Satsangha and sent by Registered Post.

         If you have already helped the Mother Ashram materially to the very best of your ability, please keep us in your prayers and meditations that we will be able to �materialize� all these spiritual visions. I thank you for your love and support for us all these years and pray that the Guru spirit illumine your thoughts, feelings, words and acts.

         Affectionately in Yoga,

        AMMA

        Murali Dharan <muralidharan33@...> wrote:

[...]

      • narasimhan raghavan
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 14, 2003
          --Dear Dr Ananda,
          I went through Ammas message and there are no two
          opinions about the need of additional space for the
          ashram activities.
          The new building will be a welcome addition but at a
          big cost.
          What about reutilising what you already have to boost
          the available resources. If i am right Swamijis vision
          had a lot to do with the old ashram at thattanchavady
          where some rooms and a fair amuont of ground space
          could still be squeesed out for the ashram work.
          Fortunately for you the legal hurdles, atleast the
          major ones have been solved in your favour.A little
          more money spent there may give you more breathing
          space there which is legally yours and raising or
          altering any structure there may cost you much less.I
          am sure Amma is the right person to take decisions in
          this regard.
          I am still cherishing the dream when myself and Amma
          would like to watch you take the sessions for students
          from the same dais which swamiji used to at the old
          ashram.
          In the mean time i shall see what i can do to help.
          yours sincerely,
          narasimhan
          rightfully yours "Dr.Ananda Bhavanani"
          <yognat2001@...> wrote: > Divine yoga family

          === message truncated ===

          Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
        • Dr.Ananda Bhavanani
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 15, 2003
            divine self
            thanks for the blessings
            the new building is right next to our city centre and behind the bus stand in town
            the madam is not yet fully under our control though we have won everything up to date
            it is still awaiting the supreme courts verdict
            that is why we are treying to expand yognat and ICYER
            i will be in Ramachandra for my final exams of the PGDFH on the 1st November
            hope i do well
            ananda

            narasimhan raghavan <rnpath@...> wrote:
> [...]

            > well as both Variations of Shasha Asana, with head
            > back.
            >        Step by Step Page 259, suggests Yoga Nidraa,
            > may help also.
            >        Dr Ananda, also suggests, Pranava and
            > Brahmari Pranayamas, with Emphasis on Adhyam Breath.
            >
            >      You are also welcome, to our Next ,Down under
            > Get together.
            >
            >   Yours in Yoga

            >     Murali

            > "Dr.Ananda Bhavanani" <yognat2001@...> wrote:
            > i am not sure of the techniques but they seem to be
            > some basic breathing and visualisations as sahaja
            > means easy!
            > i will see if i can find out anything but would
            > suggest pranava pranayama and brahmari pranayama
            > along with some relaxation training as relaxation
            > will surely help the patient
            > stress precipitates attacks and reducation of stress
            === message truncated ===

            Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
            25,2nd cross,Iyyanar Nagar
            Pondicherry-605 013
            tel;0413 622902/241561
            abb@...,yognat2001@...
            Website: www.icyer.com

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Kenneth Liberman
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 16, 2003
              Dear Family,

              I have confirmed by self-study this instruction of Swamiji's: in
              wanting to increase deficient circulation to the heart, as a result
              of a congenitally defective aortic valve, I have found that very deep
              breathing in matsyasana can over time increase the vital capacity of
              the mid-chest region, the area that most benefits circulation of
              oxygen to the heart.

              Ken Liberman

              >Divine yoga family
              >thanks murali for the ideas and revisiting swamijis teachings
              >swamiji taught so much that sometimes we tend to look outward than inward
              >brahmari and pranava (adhyam -upper chest) are soothing pranayamas
              >and especially help re-energise the head and neck regions
              >i also recommend head below heart poses such as meru asana,pada
              >hastha and paotanna is possible to help mkore blood and energy floww
              >upwards
              >ananda
              >i enclose Amma recent general letter for those who may not be
              >getting it by post
              >ananda
            • narasimhan raghavan
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 16, 2003
                Dear Dr,Ananda,
                I understand the situation and i suppose you are doing
                the best for the ashram under the circumstances.
                My best wishes for your success in the final exam at
                SRMC.
                Yours sincerely,
                narasimhan

                === message truncated ===

                Go to http://yahoo.shaadi.com
              • Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 17, 2003

                  thanks prof ken for the insight into madyam pranayama

                  the lungs are divided into 10 broncho pulm segements that for all practical purposes are independent units

                  it is interesting that in vibhaga pranayama we try to conciously breathe into 9 segments !!

                  i must remind all that ken had earlier done a good self study of heart rate as wel as shavasan

                  all the best and keep going

                  ananda

                  I have confirmed by self-study this instruction of Swamiji's:  in
                  wanting to increase deficient circulation to the heart, as a result
                  of a congenitally defective aortic valve, I have found that very deep
                  breathing in matsyasana can over time increase the vital capacity of
                  the mid-chest region, the area that most benefits circulation of
                  oxygen to the heart.

                  Ken Liberman

                  >Divine yoga family
                  >thanks murali for the ideas and revisiting swamijis teachings
                  >swamiji taught so much that sometimes we tend to look outward than inward
                  >brahmari and pranava (adhyam -upper chest) are soothing pranayamas
                  >and especially help re-energise the head and neck regions
                  > ;i also recommend head below heart poses such as meru asana,pada
                  >hastha and paotanna is possible to help mkore blood and energy floww
                  >upwards
                  >ananda
                  >i enclose Amma recent general letter for those who may not be
                  >getting it by post
                  >ananda

                  Dr.Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani
                  www.icyer.com