4766Namastey ! Namastey! Namastey!

  • yognat
    Dec 17, 2013

      Divine World family :

      Namastey! How I love that sacred greeting! As you know, it means, “I see the Divine manifesting in you and I  bow to that spirit”. Of course, in India, it does not mean that to most people. It is a conditioned social form of greeting when people meet. Once, decades ago, when I was in London an Indian Swamiji of world  repute was staying in the same Ashram as I. When I explained to an English student who had asked me what the term Namastey meant, that is, its sacred meaning, the Swamiji snarled at me and replied sarcastically, “What rubbish! It just means ‘Hi!’ So much for Indian Swamijis! The word “Swamiji” is supposed to mean “ a  master” but obviously, as seen in his case, the term does not always fit.

      Affectionately Yours in Yoga,

      AMMA.

      Poetry From My Notebook

               Namastey ! Namastey! Namastey!

                                                      By Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani

      Hilarity , Plump with hot air rising,

      Froths at his grizzled

      Mouth. What cause has

      He for joy?

      That old beggar! Bones askew,

            Rolling eyes and whiskers too!

            His hard reality

            This concrete pavement

            As his bed!

            Who knows when last

            The man’s been fed!

            The bosom of a soft

             Earth is no pillow

             For his head.

      Still! Still! That fine old face

             Bursts with childish mirth!

      My incredulous stare locks his

             In an embrace.

             What is it

             That we share?

             A nebulous solidarity

             Is there, is there.

      A meditative mood perfumes

      This place, filters out

      The dust and glare.

      The  veil lifts a moment, then,

              A Buddha speaks. Glancing

              From his royal palanquin

              His eyes too a beggar saw:

             The Buddha spoke: “What thou art

              I once was and what I am,

              Thou shall be!”

              What a lovely rendition

              Of a hard reality!

      A coin full of food and drink

                Curves through the

                Dirty air, is caught

                With deftness. Sparkling

      Eyes smile and wink!

      We share a cosmic joke!

      Namastey! Namastey! Namastey!

      Both witness the Divinity

      Who manifests, each in each!

      The only difference between

                You and me

                 Is time and space,

      These trifling measures lose their meaning

                 In the bright light of eternity!

      DISCLAIMER : Information transmitted in this e-mail is proprietary to Ananda  Ashram at ICYER, Pondicherry, South India. It is intended only for the  addressee and may contain private, confidential and/or privileged material.  Review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by  any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Please
      be aware that this email may have been a group mailing (bcc) and if you  received this through error we apologize. If you have received this  communication in error, please contact us at yognat@... and delete the  material from any stored format/computer.