4763Re: [rishiculture] HEMATOLOGICAL, BIOCHEMICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF A YOGA TRAINING PROGRAMME IN NURSING STUDENTS

  • Raghavan Srinivasan
    Dec 25, 2013
      This is really wonderful!!!
      Dr.Vellore A.R.Srinivasan

      On Tue, Dec 24, 2013 at 11:46 PM, yognat <yognat@...> wrote:

      Our new paper from CYTER

      HEMATOLOGICAL, BIOCHEMICAL AND PSYCHOLOGICAL EFFECTS OF A YOGA TRAINING PROGRAMME IN NURSING STUDENTS

      http://www.irjpas.com/view_content.php?quat=3&date=Volume-3:Issue-6%20(Nov-Dec,%202013)&issue=6

      Ananda Balayogi Bhavanani, Meena Ramanathan, Madanmohan, Srinivasan AR

      ABSTRACT Background: We were granted the opportunity to impart a 6 month comprehensive course of yoga training for nursing students. The aim of this study was to analyse the effects of the training on the participants´ health and quality of life (QoL) Materials and Methods: 60 healthy nursing students (12 M, 48 F) aged 18.60 ± 0.67 (SD) y were recruited, and 60 min of yoga training was given twice weekly, for 6 months. Selected biochemical and hematological parameters were recorded along with Ferrans and Powers QoL index before and after the training period. QoL was also tested at mid term. Because we were not able to establish a separate control group, we correlated changes with the subjects´ frequency of attendance. Results: Post intervention statistical analysis (repeated measures of ANOVA) revealed highly significant and beneficial changes in most hematological and biochemical parameters. Major findings are enhanced bone marrow function, reduced allergic tendency, alkalization of urine, metabolic reconditioning (with special emphasis on liver function) and improvement in all QoL indices. These changes correlated positively with the subjects´ frequency of attendance, as evidenced by Pearson‟s linear correlation testing. There were also significant improvements in QoL index and its subscales, both at mid training and post training. These improvements also correlated positively with attendance. Conclusion: The present study provides evidence of the beneficial psychological and physical effects of yoga training amongst graduate nursing course students . We suggest that yoga be made an integral part of medical and paramedical collegiate education.

      DISCLAIMER : Information transmitted in this e-mail is proprietary to Ananda  Ashram at ICYER, Pondicherry, South India. It is intended only for the  addressee and may contain private, confidential and/or privileged material.  Review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by  any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Please
      be aware that this email may have been a group mailing (bcc) and if you  received this through error we apologize. If you have received this  communication in error, please contact us at yognat@... and delete the  material from any stored format/computer.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic