4753The Cave of Ordinariness (1990)

  • yognat
    Dec 16, 2013

      Divine World Family

      This poem was born of a realization that there is absolutely no need at all in the spiritual life to be rich and famous, nor is it necessary to be successful in the worldly sense. In fact, as the Zen monks say, best we become: “No body special.” That may be the highest achievement of all!

      Affectionately Yours in Yoga,

      AMMA.

      Poetry from My Notebook

      The Cave of Ordinariness      (1990)

       By Meenakshi Devi Bhavanani

      A cave, these days, is not

      A place for a seeker after truth!

      From the foot of the sacred hill,

      Cinema songs ride wind currents,

      Like vultures seeking rotted flesh.

      Pilgrims are tourists, after all,

      Enjoyment and pleasure both their

      Journey and their destination.

      Gossip and chatter cracks

      The silence. Leather shoes

      Defile the mother’s breast.

      Stopping here and there for a photo,

      Camera smiles hang in billowing

      Clouds grasping the peak.

      Discarded snacks, paper cups

      And plastic sacks adorn the innocent

      Herbal bushes, who wear their raiment

      Proudly, like children decked up

      By a whore’s audacious whimsy.

      Where is that place,

      Suitable for a seeker of the Spirit?

      Perlexed, sit I, on a rock, and ask Thee.

       Before even the

      Thought crests into consciousness,

      I have the answer in the

      Palm of my hand.

      The place is anywhere and everywhere!

      Cloaked in the garment

      Of ordinariness…

      Camou flaged by the commonplace,

      Plain and simple, one may safely roam the world.

      Thus disguised, find refuge

      From crude and ignorant eyes,

      Secure in the ordinary,

           as in remote Himalayan caves.

      There exquisite Sadhana may be crafted,

      Priceless gems hidden, protected from thieves and despoilers.

      The ignorant man could never think to look for treasure.

      Here, right under his very own nose!

      DISCLAIMER : Information transmitted in this e-mail is proprietary to Ananda  Ashram at ICYER, Pondicherry, South India. It is intended only for the  addressee and may contain private, confidential and/or privileged material.  Review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of this information by  any person other than the intended recipient is strictly prohibited. Please
      be aware that this email may have been a group mailing (bcc) and if you  received this through error we apologize. If you have received this  communication in error, please contact us at yognat@... and delete the  material from any stored format/computer.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic