File - FAQ

  • ridethelightning@yahoogroups.com
    Message 1 of 97 , Feb 1, 2005
      Ride The Lightning List FAQ

      I. General Info
      1. What is this list about?
      2. Who maintains this list?
      3. What do all these abbreviations mean?
      II. Comics/Flash Info
      1. What comics do the Flash and Kid Flash currently appear in?
      2. What exactly is a "retcon?"
      3. Who is this Julie person? Does Wally have a kid?
      4. Wait, so Barry Allen and Malcom Thawne are twins... does this
      mean Impulse's parents are related? Eeew!
      5. What happened to the box labeled "To Wally: Urgent!" from
      Flash #142?
      6. What's Linda's ethnicity? Sometimes she looks white,
      sometimes she looks Asian, and someone said she was Latina.
      7. What the heck does Hypertime mean, anyway? Is it evil?
      8. What's happening next? Where can I find info about upcoming
      issues?
      9. Where can I find more info on the Flash?
      III. Rules and Guidelines
      1. Courtesy and Language
      2. Spoilers
      3. Topics
      4. Repeated Comments/Questions
      IV. How do I...
      1. How do I join?
      2. How do I post/reply to a message?
      3. How do I send an attachment? It seems to get deleted.
      4. I deleted a message - can I look it up somewhere?
      I just started - can I read discussions from before I joined?
      5. I just wanted to get updates for Flash: Those Who Ride the
      Lightning.
      I don't want all this discussion stuff.
      Can I just get the updates?
      6. How do I get off this list?

      I. General Info

      1. What is this list about?

      Ride the Lightning is a discussion list for fans of DC Comics' Flash.

      2. Who maintains this list?

      Kelson Vibber, maintainer of the site Flash: Those Who Ride the
      Lightning, (http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/) started this list to
      send announcements whenever the site was updated. People on the list
      wanted to discuss things, so now it's a discussion list, announcements
      having been moved to a separate list (ridethelightning-announce).

      3. What do all these abbreviations mean?

      Over the years, the Internet has developed its own collection of
      abbreviations and acronyms for common phrases. Some of them are listed
      here. You can find more at The Jargon File (www.jargon.org)
      AFAIK
      As Far As I Know
      IANAL
      I Am Not A Lawyer
      IIRC
      If I Remember Correctly
      IMHO
      In My Humble Opinion
      LOL
      Laughing Out Loud
      OT
      Off-Topic
      NT
      No Text (use in subject if the subject itself is the message)
      ROTFL
      Rolling On The Floor Laughing
      ROTFLMAO
      Rolling On The Floor Laughing My *** Off

      II. Comics/Flash Info

      1. What comics do the Flash and Kid Flash currently appear in?

      Flash (Wally West)
      The Flash, JLA

      Kid Flash (Bart Allen, formerly Impulse)
      Teen Titans

      Jesse Quick
      none currently, may show up in JSA

      Flash (Jay Garrick)
      JSA

      Max Mercury
      none

      XS (Jenni Ognats)
      Legion

      2. What exactly is a "retcon?"

      The term retcon comes from "retroactive continuity." Basically it
      refers to any time that something new is invented about the past,
      especially if it contradicts something in an earlier story, and
      especially when the new version becomes the "official" version. For
      instance, up until 1985, Barry Allen and Jay Garrick had fought crime
      on two different, parallel worlds. After the Crisis on Infinite
      Earths, DC history was changed so that they had actually fought crime
      in neighboring cities on the same earth. Another example would be any
      origin story for Donna Troy written after 1984.

      3. Who is this Julie person? Does Wally have a kid?

      If you didn't recognize Julie, you're not alone. There was a time when
      Wally went through a lot of girlfriends, so it was easy for writer
      Geoff Johns to invent another ex-girlfriend for him.

      As for the question of her lightning-powered son, Josh - is he
      Wally's? As it turns out, no - she had a fling with the Weather
      Wizard, whose interest in the child, unfortunately, is more scientific
      than paternal.

      4. Wait, so Barry Allen and Malcom Thawne are twins... does this mean
      Impulse's parents are related? Eeew!

      Yes, Barry Allen and Malcom Thawne are twins, but while Barry jumped
      forward in time 1000 years before having kids, Malcom did not. On the
      Allen side, it's only one generation from Barry to Don. But on the
      Thawne Side, there's around 40 generations between Malcom and Meloni
      (Assuming the average age any of them has kids is 25). If you met
      someone and discovered you shared an ancestor in the 1500s, it would
      be interesting to find out, but it wouldn't make you worry about
      marrying or having kids.

      Looked at genetically: Barry and Malcom are identical. Don shares 1/2
      of Barry's genes. Meloni shares 2*10^-40, or 1/1,099,511,628,000 of
      Barry's genes. I wouldn't worry about inbreeding at this point.

      5. What happened to the box labeled "To Wally: Urgent!" from Flash #142?

      At the end of Flash #142, just after Linda has been kidnapped from the
      wedding and Wally is trying to figure out why the name Linda Park
      sounds familiar, a box is seen on a shelf behind him. It's implied
      that the box is a clue to what happened to Linda. Yet although it's
      seen again once or twice, it's never followed up on. According to
      various forum posts, Mark Waid intended to use it as a plot point, but
      never had a chance to work it into the story that became the Dark
      Flash Saga. He apparently discussed his ideas with Geoff Johns, who
      had his own ideas as well, but finally decided he wouldn't have time
      to deal with it either. Ultimately it was declared that (a) the box
      was just a wedding present which somehow wasn't erased, and (b) it was
      destroyed in the explosion in Flash #172.

      6. What's Linda's ethnicity? Sometimes she looks white, sometimes she looks
      Asian, and someone said she was Latina.

      Linda is Korean, and at least a third-generation American. Her
      ethnicity was established back in Flash #31 (her second appearance).
      Discussing Wally's maturity (and whether he might someday develop
      any), a coworker points out that "a couple of years ago you were
      accused of only being sympathetic to Koreans." Since then it's only
      been alluded to occasionally - Linda reading Max's journal during Dead
      Heat (which he had written in Korean), or holding the original wedding
      in "the great Korean ancestral home" in Iowa - when we find out that
      her grandparents were Iowa farmers.

      7. What the heck does Hypertime mean, anyway? Is it evil?

      This is way beyond the scope of this FAQ. Whether it's evil or not
      you'll have to decide for yourself, but there are some useful
      references on Hypertime out there.

      The Unofficial Hypertime Website
      http://travel.to/hypertime
      A collection of articles written by various people, including
      interview excerpts.

      Time And Hypertime
      http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/hypertime.html
      This is an article I wrote, trying to explain time travel,
      dimension travel, and everything back to the Crisis in terms of
      Hypertime.

      8. What's happening next? Where can I find info about upcoming issues?

      DC Comics (official site)
      http://www.dccomics.com
      Usually you can only go about a month ahead here.

      Comics Continuum
      http://www.comicscontinuum.com
      Listings show up about three months ahead, but it's hard to
      find anything but the last few articles.

      9. Where can I find more info on the Flash?

      Flash: Those Who Ride the Lighting
      http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/
      Lots of character profiles/bios, a few essays

      The Unofficial Flash Index
      http://www.dcuguide.com/Fls/Title_Index.htm
      Issues guide

      DC Comics (official site)
      http://www.dccomics.com
      Profile, upcoming issues, and of course the rest of the DC
      Universe

      You can also check out the links page on Those Who Ride the Lightning.

      III. Rules and Guidelines

      1. Courtesy and Language

      Everyone joins this group voluntarily, and they can leave voluntarily.
      Discussions are more interesting when there are more people, so please
      follow common courtesy when writing to or about your fellow members.
      Friendly jibes are one thing, but keep in mind that we have people all
      over the world here -- every continent but Antarctica -- and sometimes
      colloquial meanings get lost.

      2. Spoilers

      Not everyone makes it to the comic store on the same day, and new
      issues don't necessarily arrive on the same day at every store (or in
      every country). If you want to talk about the latest issue that's just
      come out, and you need to give away a major plot point, put "SPOILER"
      in the subject line so people can skip over it until they've had a
      chance to read the story. You can also add blank lines at the
      beginning if you want to, for people who hit "next" to page through
      their messages.

      3. Topics of Discussion

      This list is primarily about The Flash and other DC speedsters.
      Anything about Wally, Jesse, Bart, etc. or the supporting cast or
      villains is fair game (within the realm of good taste, of course).
      Naturally, related happenings in Teen Titans, JLA, JSA, or any
      crossovers are also included.

      Occasionally, you may want to write about something that's not related
      to the Flash. That's OK, just make sure you put "OT" (Off-Topic) in
      the subject.

      4. Repeated comments/questions

      Ideally, everyone on the list would be completely current on
      discussion. Realistically, that's not the case. People join the list
      in the middle of or right after a discussion, or can't read the
      messages for several weeks, etc. However, there's not much point in
      bringing up a topic that's been done to death only a week before.

      Before you post a question, especially if you're new, it's a good idea
      to check out the list archive and either skim the last week or so of
      postings, or do a search on the topic, so that you can either avoid
      repeating something that's been worn out recently or you can bring up
      something new that hadn't come up in that discussion.

      If you want to deliberately repost something, there's no need (in most
      cases) to repost the entire message. Summarize it, then mention where
      it is in the archive (a subject and rough date is good, an article
      number is even better) so others can look up the full posting.

      If someone posts a question that's been answered, or an idea that's
      been discussed, politely let them know where to find it.

      The list is archived at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ridethelightning/messages/

      web.

      2. How do I post/reply to a message?

      You can post a message by sending it to
      ridethelightning@yahoogroups.com. If you want to reply to a thread,
      just hit "reply."

      Note: If you're replying to a thread and the topic has changed, please
      update your subject line to reflect this!

      3. How do I send an attachment? It seems to get deleted.

      The list is set to block attachments to keep message lengths
      reasonable. (This has the added benefit of blocking viruses that email
      themselves to everyone in your addressbook.) However, if you go the
      Files section on the list archive
      (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ridethelightning/files/) you can upload
      the file and then send a message telling people where to find it.

      4. I deleted a message. Can I look it up somewhere?
      I just started. Can I read discussions from before I joined?

      The entire list is archived on the web at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ridethelightning/

      5. I just wanted to get updates for Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning.
      I don't want all this discussion stuff. Can I just get the updates?

      Sure. Unsubscribe from this list (directions below) and join the
      announcement-only list by sending a blank email to
      ridethelightning-announce-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      6. How do I get off this list?

      If you have a Yahoo! ID, you can go to
      http://groups.yahoo.com/subscribe/ridethelightning/ and unsubscribe
      yourself there.

      Otherwise, you can send a blank message to
      ridethelightning-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

      FAQ Updated June 20, 2004
    • ridethelightning@yahoogroups.com
      Message 97 of 97 , Jun 1, 2008
        Ride The Lightning List FAQ

        I. General Info

        1. What is this list about?
        2. Who maintains this list?
        3. What do all these abbreviations mean?

        II. Comics/Flash Info

        1. How many Flashes are there?
        2. What comics does the Flash currently appear in?
        3. What Flash series have there been in the past?
        4. Which issues have been collected in TPB/trade paperback or
        hardcover?
        5. Why did DC relaunch the Flash? Twice?
        6. What exactly is a "retcon?"
        7. Wait, so Barry Allen and Malcolm Thawne are twins... does this
        mean Bart's parents are related? Eeew!
        8. What is the Speed Force? What happened to it?
        9. Where were Wally, Linda and the twins when they disappeared?
        10. What are Wally's children named? Why are they older? Weren't they
        twins? What are their powers?
        11. Why did Bart age overnight? How old is he now?
        12. Who killed Bart?
        13. What the heck is Hypertime? The Multiverse?
        14. What's happening next? Where can I find info about upcoming
        issues?
        15. Where can I find more info on the Flash?

[...]

        things, so now it's a discussion list. Announcements are now on another
[...]

        Simple answer: Four.

        1. Jay Garrick was the Flash from 1940-1951. He was kept somewhat young
        by his powers, and has come out of retirement to work with the Justice
        Society of America.
        2. Barry Allen was the Flash from 1956-1986. He died in Crisis on
        Infinite Earths.
        3. Wally West was Barry's teen sidekick, Kid Flash, until 1986. He was
        the Flash from 1986-2006. He disappeared for 1.5 years after Infinite
        Crisis, and returned to be the Flash again starting in 2007.
        4. Bart Allen is Barry's grandson. He first appeared as the teen
        super-hero Impulse in 1994, became Kid Flash in 2003, and took over as
        the Flash in 2006. He was killed after only 13 issues.

        Complicated answer: Well, six if you include John Fox and Walter West, who
        each filled in for several months during the 1990s. Seven if you include
        Lady Flash, but she's a villain now. And then there are all the possible
        future Flashes...

        2. What comics does the Flash currently appear in?

        Barry Allen
        None.

        Bart Allen
        None. (recently, The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive)

        Jay Garrick
        Justice Society of America, JSA Classified (sometimes)

        Wally West
        The Flash, Justice League of America, JLA Classified (sometimes)

        3. What Flash series have there been in the past?

        * Flash Comics (1940-1949) with Jay Garrick lasted 104 issues.
        * All-Flash Quarterly (1941-1948) with Jay Garrick lasted 32 issues.
        * Flash volume 1 (1959-1985) with Barry Allen started with #105 and made
        it to #350.
        * Flash volume 2 (1986-2006, 2007--) with Wally West lasted 230 issues
        (plus #0, #1/2, and #1,000,000). A year after cancellation, it was
        relaunched with #231.
        * Impulse (1995-2002) with Bart Allen lasted 89 issues (plus
        #1,000,000).
        * Flash: The Fastest Man Alive (2006-2007) with Bart Allen lasted only
        13 issues.

        Jay also had solo stories in the first 29 issues of Comic Cavalcade
        (1942-1948). Some people refer to the 1959 series as volume 2 and the 1986
        series as volume 3.

        4. Which issues have been collected in TPB/trade paperback or hardcover?

        This beyond the scope of this FAQ, but you can find a full list at:
        http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/books.html

        Golden Age: Jay Garrick

        Flash Comics #1-24 and All-Flash #1-2 appear in two volumes of The Golden
        Age Flash Archives.

        Silver Age and Bronze Age: Barry Allen

        Barry's first few appearances in Showcase, and Flash v.1 #105-132 appear
        in four volumes of The Flash Archives. The Showcase appearances and
        Flash v.1 #105-119 also appear in one volume of Showcase Presents: The
        Flash.

        Several Superman/Flash races appear in the Superman vs. the Flash TPB. A
        number of Barry/Jay crossovers appear in two volumes of Crisis on Multiple
        Earths: The Team-Ups. Barry also stars in most of the stories in Flash:
        The Greatest Stories Ever Told.

        Wally West

        Several story arcs from Mark Waid's run on the book have been collected in
        TPBs: Born to Run, The Return of Barry Allen, Terminal Velocity, Dead
        Heat, and Race Against Time.

        Almost everything from Geoff Johns' run #164-225 has been collected in TPB
        form (see the above link for a full list).

        Bart Allen

        The Impulse: Reckless Youth TPB collects Bart's first appearances in
        Flash vol.2 and the first few issues of Impulse. The first collection from
        Flash: The Fastest Man Alive is also out, with the second set to appear in
        December 2007.

        5. Why did DC relaunch the Flash? Twice?

        There have been several explanations for the 2006 relaunch, but they all
        boil down to two: 1. DC wanted to mark a new age in their comics, and both
        the Silver Age and the post-Crisis on Infinite Earths eras launched new
        Flashes. 2. Relaunches boost sales.

        As for 2007, speculation ranges from it being planned from the start, to
        it being a response to poor fan reaction and the rapid decline in sales
        after the previous relaunch.

        6. What exactly is a "retcon?"

        The term retcon comes from "retroactive continuity." Basically it refers
        to any time that something new is invented about the past, especially if
        it contradicts something in an earlier story, and especially when the new
        version becomes the "official" version. For instance, up until 1985, Barry
        Allen and Jay Garrick had fought crime on two different, parallel worlds.
        After the Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC history was changed so that they
        had actually fought crime in neighboring cities on the same earth. Another
        example would be any origin story for Donna Troy written after 1984.

        7. Wait, so Barry Allen and Malcolm Thawne are twins... does this mean Bart's
        parents are related? Eeew!

        Yes, Barry Allen and Malcolm Thawne are twins, but while Barry jumped
        forward in time 1000 years before having kids, Malcolm did not. On the
        Allen side, it's only one generation from Barry to Don (Bart's father).
        But on the Thawne Side, there's around 40 generations between Malcolm and
        Meloni (Bart's mother), assuming the average age any of them has kids is
        25. If you met someone and discovered you shared an ancestor in the 1500s,
        it would be interesting to find out, but it wouldn't make you worry about
        marrying or having children.

        Looked at genetically: Barry and Malcolm are identical. Don shares 1/2 of
        Barry's genes. Meloni shares 2*10^-40, or 1/1,099,511,628,000 of Barry's
        genes. I wouldn't worry about inbreeding at this point.

        8. What is the Speed Force? What happened to it?

        The "speed force" is an energy field from which speedsters draw their
        power. As speedsters approaches the speed of light, they begin to interact
        more directly with it. If they're not careful, they can be absorbed by the
        field, or they can bounce off it, which usually leads to a trip forward in
        time.

        Max Mercury knew the most about the speed force, while Wally West and
        Savitar were the most adept at channeling it. The concept was introduced
        in 1994, during Wally West's tenure as the Flash.

        During Infinite Crisis, the Flash (Wally) and Kid Flash (Bart) trapped the
        villainous Superboy-Prime in an alternate world beyond the speed force.
        With the aid of Barry, Max, and Johnny Quick, they held Superboy prisoner
        for several years. When he escaped, Bart absorbed the speed force in order
        to return to the main universe ahead of him. Only Bart could sense it or
        draw power from it, and doing so threatened to kill him.

        In the final storyline in Bart's series, Inertia used a machine to extract
        the speed force from Bart's body. He intended to take it all for himself,
        but STAR Labs intern Valerie Perez managed to release it, restoring the
        status quo.

        9. Where were Wally, Linda and the twins when they disappeared?

        During Infinite Crisis, as Wally, Jay and Bart tried to stop Superboy
        Prime, Wally felt himself being drawn out of reality. He had previously
        been drawn into the speed force twice, but had pulled himself back to be
        with Linda. This felt different, so he went to say goodbye to his wife.
        Linda refused to let the family be separated, and she and the twins
        disappeared at the same time Wally did.

        Flash: TFMA #6 indicated that they had all been taken to an alternate
        Earth. However, Flash #231 shows that they spent at least some of their
        time on an alien world. Details of their experience are supposed to be
        revealed in a series of backup stories beginning in #233.

        10. What are Wally's children named? Why are they older? Weren't they twins?
        What are their powers?

        Wally's and Linda's children remained unnamed for two years after we saw
        their birth in Flash #225. In All-Flash #1, their names were revealed to
        be Iris and Jai.

        Their inherited connection to the speed force caused them to grow rapidly,
        and at different paces. After only a year, Iris is effectively 10, and Jai
        is effectively 8.

        It also left them with unstable powers. At present, Iris can vibrate her
        molecules and those of anything she touches, enabling her to phase through
        matter. Jai is able to accelerate muscle growth, giving himself temporary
        super-strength.

        11. Why did Bart age overnight? How old is he now?

        During Infinite Crisis, Bart and other speedsters trapped Superboy Prime
        on another earth beyond the speed force. Time flowed at a different rate
        there. Four years passed for Bart, while only hours or days passed for the
        rest of the world.

        In The Flash: The Fastest Man Alive #1, Bart says that "a year ago" (i.e.
        right before Infinite Crisis) he was 16. He was 20 when he returned, and
        it's now one year later, making him 21.

        If you want to get technical, though, he's probably only around 10. Bart
        was born with a super-fast metabolism, and grew to adolescence in only
        three years before it settled down to a normal rate. (A hyper-fast virtual
        reality environment helped him develop mentally and grow up sane. See
        Impulse: Reckless Youth for the story.) It's not clear how much time
        passed between Zero Hour and Infinite Crisis, so make it 3 + X+5. Plus
        he's a time traveller, so his birthday won't come around for almost 1,000
        years...

        12. Who Killed Bart?

        Several prominent members of the Flash's Rogues Gallery were involved in
        the attack which led to his death, but it's not clear exactly who
        participated in the murder.

        Inertia planned the scheme to steal Bart's speed, and would gladly have
        killed his rival. Captain Cold, Heat Wave and Weather Wizard were clearly
        shown blasting him with fire, ice, and lightning. Abra Kadabra was
        involved, but not shown during the actual murder.

        After that it gets a bit confusing. A panel shows Mirror Master,
        Trickster, and Pied Piper crowded around something unseen, with Inertia
        either on the ground or standing and kicking. This has been interpreted in
        several ways: as the pictured villains kicking an injured Bart to death,
        or kicking Inertia, or even Piper and Trickster going after Inertia, with
        Mirror Master separating them.

        Countdown has clearly stated that Piper and Trickster did not participate
        in the actual murder, which fits with their character history. (Legally,
        though, they're still responsible under the felony murder principle.)

        In the aftermath, Wally West captured Inertia and stole his speed,
        trapping him in the form of a statue in the Flash Museum. The Suicide
        Squad captured Kadabra, Cold, Weather Wizard, Mirror Master and Heat Wave.
        Piper and Trickster remain at large.

        13. What the heck is Hypertime? The Multiverse?

        The Multiverse and Hypertime are two ways DC has used to structure
        alternate-reality stories.

        Until 1985, DC had a series of parallel universes that they called the
        Multiverse. Earth-1 was home to the Justice League and DC's current
        heroes. Earth-2 was home to the Justice Society and DC's Golden Age
        heroes. Other universes contained alternate histories, or heroes that DC
        had purchased from other comics companies. Each universe was distinct, and
        some heroes could easily travel from one universe to another. In 1986,
        Crisis on Infinite Earths got rid of the multiverse and combined all the
        groups of heroes into one shared universe.

        Hypertime was a more fluid approach, introduced in 1999. Instead of
        parallel universes, there was a branching timeline. Each reality was an
        alternate timeline, branching off from some point in the past. Maybe a few
        months ago, maybe a few decades, maybe centuries. Traveling to a
        particular alternate universe would be difficult -- chances are you would
        be slightly off -- and getting back where you started would be harder
        still. A bigger difference was that similar timelines could also converge.

        Hypertime was used as a framework for alternate universes, Elseworlds
        stories, retcons and handling the difference between real-world time and
        comics time. (A story might feature a Cold War plot or 1970s fashions, but
        only take place 5 years ago.) It became controversial because it could be
        used to explain continuity errors, and fans argued that the "crutch" would
        lead to lazy research and bad writing.

        After Infinite Crisis and 52, DC established a new multiverse with 52
        parallel universes. Only a few have been described so far, and some are
        similar -- but not identical -- to universes from the previous multiverse.

        The Unofficial Hypertime Website
        http://travel.to/hypertime
        A collection of articles written by various people, including
        interview excerpts.

        Time And Hypertime
        http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/hypertime.html
        This is an article I wrote, trying to explain time travel,
        dimension travel, and everything back to Crisis on Infinite Earths
        in terms of Hypertime.

        14. What's happening next? Where can I find info about upcoming issues?

        Flash: Those Who Ride the Lightning
        http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/upcoming.html
        Upcoming issues and related books are listed here based on DC's
        announcements.

        DC Comics (official site)
        http://www.dccomics.com
        Usually they post listings about three months ahead.

        15. Where can I find more info on the Flash?

        Flash: Those Who Ride the Lighting
        http://www.hyperborea.org/flash/
        Lots of character profiles/bios, a few essays

        Crimson Lightning
        http://thefastestmanalive.blogspot.com/
        Flash-themed blog featuring reviews, news, classic covers, and
        more

        The Unofficial Flash Index
        http://www.dcuguide.com/chronology.php?name=flash3
        Issues guide

        DC Comics (official site)
        http://www.dccomics.com
        Profile, upcoming issues, and of course the rest of the DC
        Universe

        Wikipedia
        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flash_(comics)
        Information about the series and characters

[...]

        happenings in Teen Titans, Justice League of America, Justice Society of
        America, or any crossovers are also included.

[...]

        is in the archive (a subject and rough date is good, a link is even
[...]

        FAQ Updated August 19, 2007