Re: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Re: Any thoughts on this?

  • Ginger Duckett
    Message 1 of 43 , Nov 25, 2012
      Okay my perspective from someone who teaches the poor and minorities every day, I know what it is like. Even though we supposedly receive more "funding", we are not better off or even equal to schools in "richer" neighborhoods. My students' parents cannot afford food, so notebooks, pencils, and paper are a huge stretch. I give mechanical pencils as PRIZES, something many people just take for granted. WE are in a cycle that MUST be broken!! First of all, we are all people, I wish we could all wake up tomorrow and just realize that.

      The biggest problem is that education starts in the home at a very young age, and most of the parents are lacking any skills to teach children at an early age, i.e. they cannot read in English, so we also have to reach out to the parents to stop the cycle. I will say that we could change where some of the money goes. I have all of these Federally funded "helpers" who don't do anything but disagree with each other and throw all of this research at me, without helping any tteachers implement anything.

      Ginger

      ________________________________
      From: Jimmy <mailto:heffleyjr%40verizon.net>
      Subject: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Re: Any thoughts on this?
      To: mailto:ricksgardeningtips%40yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, November 23, 2012, 1:19 AM

      Do you think this EO will actually help improve the performance of this particular race?

      Why has all the money pored into this situation failed so far?

      This EO implies that all the money spent especially to help this race, to date, is not the solution.

      Jim in Maryland

      --- In mailto:ricksgardeningtips%40yahoogroups.com, Mike C <bookherder@...> wrote:

      > Would you be in favor of all schools having the same class size, and budgets based on the number of students no matter where the school is located?
      >
      > Would you be in favor of including in the history books all the contributions made by all races?
      >
      > I don't think you understand the difference between and expense and an investment.
      >
      > I'm in favor of giving all students an equal chance.
      >
      > I'm in favor of giving students enough education to enable them to be contributing taxpayers, and make enough money to support their families and send their children to college.
      >
      > That's not happening.
      >
      > Michael

    • Kimber
      Message 43 of 43 , Nov 29, 2012
        I've been fortunate to have really great teachers all throughout my life.
        In our community college Howard Zinn's books were our textbooks for History
        class.

        Best,
        Kimber

        From: heffleyjr@...
        Date: Fri, 23 Nov 2012 07:46:39 +0000

        This reply is to the section written by Al.

        I had to release several storage containers when circumstances caused us to
        have to downsize over my wife's brain hemorrhages.

        Most of the stuff was stuff we really would never use unless we estarted
        normal housekeeping again.

        Of all the things I agnaxed over having to let go was a 1972ish set of the
        Encyclopedia Britannica which cost $600.00 at the time but I felt the kids
        would need it in there high school years and I bought the most expensive set
        that was printed on special paper made with silk and other components to
        keep it from yellowing and one page was strong enough to hold a book. It
        was one of their newest releases that was made up of three sections. A
        Macro and Micropedia each containing different levels of detail about the
        subjects. I also had a third section of two books that were called, "The
        Compendium". If you wanted to study a subject in great detail you could
        find the subject in the Compendium and it would list the pages in which
        section(s) which if you completed reading all the subject threads that he
        Compendium you would have the qualification of a Bachelor's Degree in
        Liberal Arts.

        Now why and I writing all this dribble about a damn Encyclopedia? I was
        worried, even back then, that the history, science and other topics were
        starting to be diluted, reworded and re-resourced to fit a progressive
        agenda. And after the kids didn't need them they would always be a solid
        place to go to to reread about a subject or area of interest anyone in the
        house could go including my kids kids.

        I found a set or two on eBay but the cost of an almost mint condition set is
        hard to find but they are out there and the shipping and cost of the set
        would bring around $600.00 ironically today.

        In the movie 1984 there is a scene where hundreds of people are just walking
        around speaking aloud the words from all the History books and other
        documents because the real books had all been destroyed to erase our
        knowledge of world science, life science and history.

        I know there is a very reasonably priced version of the latest Britannica on
        the web and in a CD format and maybe even a download version, but how can we
        compare this latest version to the older versions to see how much tampering
        has gone on in a subject area. Some things don't change much and many
        things do and should be updated. But, who makes the decision on what books
        will be used in most school system libraries and class rooms. A committee
        in Texas?

        Al's right! Sports needs to be de-emphasized. "It is an outrage how much
        money and man power is put into producing students with concussions and
        worse". Can you imagine what kind of educated children we'd produce if we
        put that much emphasis on creative writing, on spelling, on math and
        critical thinking?

        Al and I don't agree on most politics and maybe a few/alot of other things
        but on his issue I completely agree with him.

        Jim in Maryland

        > The rules for establishing a school district are likely different among
        the states. You'll have to consult your own state's rules for that.Â

        > Dividing up a area so that the tax base is equal is not a workable plan. A
        rich tax base area would be chopped up into such a distorted form that it
        would make something as ordinary as bus routes very difficult and time
        consuming.Â

        > There has to be a better way. The way we do it now goes back to the era
        when this was an agricultural country. Even the school year is based on
        those days. The whole education system needs to be rebuilt.Â

        > We need more teachers, but that's only a start. We need better trained
        teachers, teachers who can cope with today's students. Today's students are
        much more of a challenge to teach than back in the middle of the last
        century when I went to school.Â

        > Schools need to be smaller. Schools need to maximize the opportunity that
        technology has presented all of us. Start with this idea:Â

        > http://www.udacity.com/

        > There are other, similar, teaching modes out there. I got this off of an
        NPR interview a few weeks ago.Â

        > Sports need to be de-emphasized. Can you imagine what kind of educated
        children we'd produce if we put that much emphasis on creative writing, on
        spelling, on math and critical thinking?

        > Here in Texas we have the fundamentalist Christians staffing the state
        office that chooses text books. They have re-written history. I don't know
        the details but you can look it up if you want. They have white-washed
        history and left out some key players. It's awful. Those people have got to
        go. That would be a good place to begin improving education. What Texas
        chooses for text books influences what the other states buy since Texas is a
        very big buyer of textbooks.Â

        > Can you believe it? A handful of bible-thumpers, about enough people to
        fill a booth at Denny's, has a strong deleterious effect on ALL of the
        nation's children's education.Â

        > Fortunately, this administration is making the right moves, but there's a
        lot of work needs to be done.Â

        Dragon

        --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, Al Gray
        <captaindragonfarstar@...> wrote:

        > MaryK will be away from her computer for a while. I'll attempt to answer
        your question.Â

        > The rules for establishing a school district are likely different among
        the states. You'll have to consult your own state's rules for that.Â

        > Dividing up a area so that the tax base is equal is not a workable plan. A
        rich tax base area would be chopped up into such a distorted form that it
        would make something as ordinary as bus routes very difficult and time
        consuming.Â

        > There has to be a better way. The way we do it now goes back to the era
        when this was an agricultural country. Even the school year is based on
        those days. The whole education system needs to be rebuilt.Â

        > We need more teachers, but that's only a start. We need better trained
        teachers, teachers who can cope with today's students. Today's students are
        much more of a challenge to teach than back in the middle of the last
        century when I went to school.Â

        > Schools need to be smaller. Schools need to maximize the opportunity that
        technology has presented all of us. Start with this idea:Â

        > http://www.udacity.com/

        > There are other, similar, teaching modes out there. I got this off of an
        NPR interview a few weeks ago.Â

        > Sports need to be de-emphasized. Can you imagine what kind of educated
        children we'd produce if we put that much emphasis on creative writing, on
        spelling, on math and critical thinking?

        > Here in Texas we have the fundamentalist Christians staffing the state
        office that chooses text books. They have re-written history. I don't know
        the details but you can look it up if you want. They have white-washed
        history and left out some key players. It's awful. Those people have got to
        go. That would be a good place to begin improving education. What Texas
        chooses for text books influences what the other states buy since Texas is a
        very big buyer of textbooks.Â

        > Can you believe it? A handful of bible-thumpers, about enough people to
        fill a booth at Denny's, has a strong deleterious effect on ALL of the
        nation's children's education.Â

        > Fortunately, this administration is making the right moves, but there's a
        lot of work needs to be done.Â

        > Dragon

        > --- On Wed, 11/21/12, Mike C <bookherder@...> wrote:

        > From: Mike C <bookherder@...>

        > Subject: RE: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Any thoughts on this?

        > To: ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com

        > Date: Wednesday, November 21, 2012, 9:44 PM

        > Hi MaryK!

        > Could you inform me what the criteria is for establishing a school
        district?

        > Could districts be arranged so that all districts have approximately the
        same tax base?

        > Michael

        > --- On Tue, 11/20/12, MaryK Croft <marykcroft@...> wrote:

        > From: MaryK Croft <marykcroft@...>

        > Subject: RE: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Any thoughts on this?

        > To: "ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com"
        <ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com>

        > Date: Tuesday, November 20, 2012, 8:45 AM

        > You asked me how I knew about the "School to Prison Pipeline" and I told
        you, research for college. I've also been subbing for 3 years now, and
        have passed this on to other teachers I work with. Only recently have I
        found anyone who was actually aware of this, and she works in Pre-K (with
        4-year-olds). You call me arrogant because I suggest you need more
        education?

        > My source about recruiters is my son. Now he finds that a GED is not good
        enough. Before the election, it was.

        > Nothing to see here, Ben, so you're just making up crap about me, is how I
        read it. --MaryK (get my name right, please!)

        wrote:

        > > You really want to know how I know these things? Because in the process
        of earning my Master's in Education, I did the research and found out. I
        am probably not going to hand you the information, though, because this
        represents a major effort for me to know. Go back to college, Ben, and you
        will learn things, too.

        > > And yes, it's all about capitalism. Parents who can afford to send their
        children to learning centers when they fall behind, and who live in
        districts that have a LOT more money to spend per child, are of course going
        to get more out of the educational system for their child. In the low-rent
        districts? After-school programs seem to be more like glorified babysitting
        to me, although a few children here have the personal drive and
        self-discipline (and interested parents) to succeed no matter what.

        > > On another point: defense stocks are NOT doing well right now. Obama's
        reelection has turned that segment of our society into a tizzy. Even
        recruiters are tightening up on their requirements. To me, this means a
        lot. --MaryK

        > > Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. (Unknown
        author, found in Guide to Texas Etiquette by Kinky Friedman)

        > > To: ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com

        > > From: banoyes2@

        > > Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 12:31:30 +0000

        > > Subject: Re: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Any thoughts on this?

        > >Â Â Â

        > >Â Â Â Â

        > >Â Â Â Â Â

        > >Â Â Â Â Â

        > >Â Â Â Â Â You are making my point--thank you--

        > > it's all about capitalism-

        > > I would like to know how you know??

        > > "third-grade reading scores are used by private prisons to estimate"

        > > now-

        > > -if you can tie up your commodities and hook into the private prison
        system -the american dream can come true-

        wrote:

        > > > You're misinformed here, Ben. I teach in a low-income school
        district, and therefore am on the front lines. What we have there is the
        "School to Prison Pipeline" in which third-grade reading scores are used by
        private prisons to estimate how many new beds they'll be able to build a
        dozen years in the future. For them, were creating business. For the society
        as a whole, no.

        > > > On the other hand, not very far away in a wealthy Dallas suburb,
        they've built a $50 million football stadium. It was important to THOSE
        taxpayers. --MaryK

        > > > Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. (Unknown
        author, found in Guide to Texas Etiquette by Kinky Friedman)

        > > > To: ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com

        > > > From: banoyes2@

        > > > Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2012 11:33:53 +0000

        > > > Subject: Re: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Any thoughts on this?

        > > >Â Â Â

        > > >Â Â Â Â

        > > >Â Â Â Â Â

        > > >Â Â Â Â Â

        > > >Â Â Â Â Â "I'm in favor of giving students enough education to enable
        them to be