Re: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Re: The best Obamadid list ever

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
      --- On Thu, 9/1/11, Jimmy <heffleyjr@...> wrote:
      >>Where's the beef? Where are the jobs?
      The Republicans have blocked most all the job creation initiatives. That includes the Republican governors in Texas, Florida, and New Jersey.

      Dragon

      From: Jimmy <heffleyjr@...>
      Subject: [Rick's Gardening Tips] Re: The best Obamadid list ever
      To: ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Thursday, September 1, 2011, 1:39 AM

      From the article:

      "Legislative Prowess

      Despite the characterizations of some, Obama's success rate in winning congressional votes on issues was an unprecedented 96.7% for his first year in office. Though he is often cited as superior to Obama, President Lyndon Johnson's success rate in 1965 was only 93%. http://n.pr/i3d7cY "

      He had a democratic controlled Senate and House until 2010. I could do that if I had all three branches filled with Republicans.

      He signed alot of things but we still have 9.1% unemployment. Could we get a list of how all those things he signed are working out now. He admitted himself that those shovel ready jobs were not all that shovel ready or words to that affect after his "shellacking" in the 2010 elections.

      Where's the beef? Where are the jobs? Until he learns that his concept of how to run a government is not working ( he seems to me to be a slow learner like me ) we will continue in this downward spiral into a full blown depression. He seems to think history was wrong and that they didn't do something right back then and all he needs is some college professor to figure out what it was and he will be out of a job too if he waits for that answer? It will be 2012 and they still will not have figured out what they are doing wrong.

      I know I'll get alot of flack about this but I don't know how much more people will need to show them that he is just an empty shirt. It is no longer Bush's fault. If you can't man up and take the bull by the horns in two years, you are never going to get the country out of this malaise, never.

      Respectfully,

      Jim in Maryland

      --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, MaryK Croft <marykcroft@...> wrote:

      > Sure, complain that he hasn't done ENOUGH to solve your personal issue. But look at the very big picture:

      > http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/main/what-has-obama-done-since-january-20-2009.html --MaryK

      > Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. (Unknown author, found in Guide to Texas Etiquette by Kinky Friedman)

    • shawsurfs
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
        If only we could deregulate and privatize...there would be soooo many jobs. And how about stop making corporations pay taxes...that would make jobs. Or what if we even give them corporate welfare...that would make tons of jobs. How about if we bail out wall street and all the bankers...That would really create jobs!!! The problem is all these unemployed people are not paying their fair share of taxes! Can't the Republicans do something about that?!!!!

        --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, "Jimmy" <heffleyjr@...> wrote:

        > From the article:
        >
        > "Legislative Prowess
        >
        > Despite the characterizations of some, Obama's success rate in winning congressional votes on issues was an unprecedented 96.7% for his first year in office. Though he is often cited as superior to Obama, President Lyndon Johnson's success rate in 1965 was only 93%. http://n.pr/i3d7cY "
        >
        > He had a democratic controlled Senate and House until 2010. I could do that if I had all three branches filled with Republicans.
        >
        > He signed alot of things but we still have 9.1% unemployment. Could we get a list of how all those things he signed are working out now. He admitted himself that those shovel ready jobs were not all that shovel ready or words to that affect after his "shellacking" in the 2010 elections.
        >
        > Where's the beef? Where are the jobs? Until he learns that his concept of how to run a government is not working ( he seems to me to be a slow learner like me ) we will continue in this downward spiral into a full blown depression. He seems to think history was wrong and that they didn't do something right back then and all he needs is some college professor to figure out what it was and he will be out of a job too if he waits for that answer? It will be 2012 and they still will not have figured out what they are doing wrong.
        >
        > I know I'll get alot of flack about this but I don't know how much more people will need to show them that he is just an empty shirt. It is no longer Bush's fault. If you can't man up and take the bull by the horns in two years, you are never going to get the country out of this malaise, never.
        >
        > Respectfully,
        >
        > Jim in Maryland
        >

        > --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, MaryK Croft <marykcroft@> wrote:
        > >

        > > Sure, complain that he hasn't done ENOUGH to solve your personal issue. But look at the very big picture:
        > >
        > > http://pleasecutthecrap.typepad.com/main/what-has-obama-done-since-january-20-2009.html --MaryK
        > >
        > > Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. (Unknown author, found in Guide to Texas Etiquette by Kinky Friedman)

      • Ben
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
          the problem is capitalism and you write this
          "The problem is all these unemployed people are not paying their fair share of taxes"
          you are a heartless stooge for the system--last time I bother reading your "thoughts"

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
            Uh, Ben. Shaw was being sarcastic. He's far from heartless,
            trust me on this one.

            Rick.

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 1, 2011
              Thanks for the confirmation, Rick. These can be trying times, but you just have to smile and maybe even chuckle...

              --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, "rick_n_la" <rick@...> wrote:

              > Uh, Ben. Shaw was being sarcastic. He's far from heartless,
              > trust me on this one.
              >
              > Rick.
              >
              > --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, "Ben" <banoyes2@> wrote:
              > >
              > > the problem is capitalism and you write this
              > > "The problem is all these unemployed people are not paying their fair share of taxes"
              > > you are a heartless stooge for the system--last time I bother reading your "thoughts"
              > >
              > > --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, "shawsurfs" <shawsurfs@> wrote:
              > > >
              > > > If only we could deregulate and privatize...there would be soooo many jobs. And how about stop making corporations pay taxes...that would make jobs. Or what if we even give them corporate welfare...that would make tons of jobs. How about if we bail out wall street and all the bankers...That would really create jobs!!! The problem is all these unemployed people are not paying their fair share of taxes! Can't the Republicans do something about that?!!!!

            • Jimmy
              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 20, 2011
                Improving the Economy, Preventing Depression

                He pushed through and signed the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, otherwise known as "the stimulus package," despite the fact that not one Republican voted for that bill. In addition, he launched recovery.gov, so that taxpayers could track spending from the Act. http://1.usa.gov/ibiFSs http://1.usa.gov/e3BJMk

                In his first year, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act created and sustained 2.1 million jobs and stimulated the economy 3.5%. http://reut.rs/i46CEE
                I spent some time on just one on the "He did it" items because the first several were MSNBC announcements and didn't seem to go very deeply into the subject.

                Anyway, I did go deeply into one of the items and being a programmer from the old days I found the site interesting and they seemed to go through pretty much the same site development one goes through to develop an application.
                So I'll pickup on the recovery act item and let you look into the data and see what you think of it… I'll reserve my opinion until after you look at it and if you desire, make a comment. Excerpt from the third link in the article is below:

                "In his first year, the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act created and sustained 2.1 million jobs and stimulated the economy 3.5%. http://reut.rs/i46CEE"

                Recovery act.

                http://www.recovery.gov/About/Pages/The_Act.aspx

                I then clicked on the "Focus Usability/Usability Testing link from the list on the left hand side of the page because I was interested in that area because that is where they were designing and developing the lower levels of the web site for the public to use. Somehow, I was able to get to the link below and to be honest I don't really remember how I got here:

                http://www.recovery.gov/Transparency/RecipientReportedData/Pages/RecipientReportedDataMap.aspx

                Now I started to be able to "drill down" as they say today and using the list on the left again, I was able to get to some interesting screens and information:

                http://www.recovery.gov/About/Pages/UsabilityandFocusGroups.aspx

                And then buried at the bottom of that screen was a link to" Discovery and Usability Research Findings (PDF 2.0 MB)

                If you get lost trying to get here, I provided the link above for you because the site is absolutely useless unless you know how to get around the pop-ups. But, this is worthy of your attention and I learned some things from it but could not understand the "Recipients Project Map" inlay of the financial figures table because the last column was showing the number of jobs in hundredths. I am used to seeing numbers of things of that scale in tenths of a job. So I think that is an improvement they could make in the display format in the future. I don't think it is of value to show number of jobs to the hundredths .