Re: OT: DoD Port Scans

  • dmeskauskas
    Message 1 of 5 , Aug 1 8:16 AM

      Vicky,
      How do I tell who iscanning My port? Is it a special program
      that You have or does My computer cashe the data so I can review it.
      If so can You tell Me how to do it?
      Thankx Alot ,,,,,,,,Dan

      - In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, viney321 <no_reply@y...>
      wrote:
      > Every now and then I check out my Zone Alarm to see who's doing
      port
      > scans on my computer. Quite a suprise today...the Arin database
      > identified the scan as originating at the Department of Defense
      Intel
      > Information Services. The IP address is 11.60.40.201. Looking
      back
      > in my ZA log, I see I've gotten numerous hits from this IP since
      late
      > April. Does anybody have any idea why the DoD is running port
      scans??
      > Has anybody else been scanned by them? Any thoughts on this would
      be
      > appreciated.
      >
      > Vicky
    • viney321
      Message 2 of 5 , Aug 1 11:20 AM
        Zone Alarm is a free firewall program that anybody who uses the
        internet should have. It's as much a necessity as an antivirus
        program. Without it, hackers can access your computer, steal personal
        information from your harddrive or use your computer as a zombie in a
        Denial of Service attack. Advertising companies also get into your
        puter to see what ads you've seen on the internet. I'm not a tech
        wiz, but basically there are ports on your computer that can be
        accessed by remote computers over the internet. A port scan is an
        attempt by another computer to see if there is another computer at
        your specific internet address (IP number) and if any of its ports
        are open. What ZA does is make your computer seem invisible to scans,
        as well as locking down all ports. It also logs all attempts to scan
        your ports along with the IP address where the scan originated. There
        is a central database (ARIN) where you can get info about that IP
        address.

        You can find more information here, as well as running a free test
        telling you just how secure your computer is:

        https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

        Here's a link to the free ZA program. They also have a firewall with
        more features that you have to buy, but for basic security, the free
        program works fine.

        http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownl
        oad.jsp

        Vicky