The US Is Quietly Legalizing Marijuana

  • Gary
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009

        An important story and a significant move. Legalizing pot is a wonderful idea for a whole raft of reasons.

        You're a hero for posting this!

        Dragon

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
          You are too kind Al, (thank you) posting this hardly makes me a hero, but, I appreciate you saying so. I agree with your analysis though. "Legalizing pot is a wonderful idea for a whole raft of reasons." Gary

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009

            I don't smoke it and never have, likely never will. I don't even smoke cigarettes. I like the pot for its medicinal qualities. It will be a big blow against Big Pharma when people are allowed to smoke it or use it in other ways.

            My pet project right now is to try to find a way to get legalization of hemp as part of the discussion during the next state election campaign. Legalizing hemp is the beginning of the end for clear cut forestry, with all the attendant advantages to that. It has the potential of being a way of bring prosperity to the farmers, and thus to the rest of the nation. I see small industries of paper making and fiber making and oil production, just for a start. And it improves the soil.

            There are forces that will oppose that idea though, out of enlightened self-interest.

            Dragon

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
              I agree totally Al, and appreciate your input on this important issue, but, more importantly, I appreciate the respectful side of you that you are showing me now, and I sincerely hope that in the future when we disagree, and we will, that we can deal with each other in a respectful way. Thank you so much for your valued input on this important issue Al, because this is very dear to my heart, and legalization could solve a multitude of problems facing America (and the world) now, both as a healing agent second to none, (and hemp seeds are a most healthful and nourishing food) and there are so many products that can be made of hemp that the mind boggles to even try to list them. Even hemp, which if legalized could be an amazing boost to American economy. I could go on and on about this. Gary

              --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, Al Gray <captaindragonfarstar@...> wrote:

              > I don't smoke it and never have, likely never will. I don't even smoke cigarettes. I like the pot for its medicinal qualities. It will be a big blow against Big Pharma when people are allowed to smoke it or use it in other ways.
              >
              > My pet project right now is to try to find a way to get legalization of hemp as part of the discussion during the next state election campaign. Legalizing hemp is the beginning of the end for clear cut forestry, with all the attendant advantages to that. It has the potential of being a way of bring prosperity to the farmers, and thus to the rest of the nation. I see small industries of paper making and fiber making and oil production, just for a start. And it improves the soil.
              >
              > There are forces that will oppose that idea though, out of enlightened self-interest.
              >
              > Dragon

            • MaryK Croft
              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
                Hemp and marijuana ARE issues that should be discussed! This is the cutting-edge of empowerment: for farmers, for victims of the prison system,for local economies that are struggling, and especially for the soil, the basis of a healthy life.

                Think healthy soil = good food = healthy bodies = empowered people, no longer dependant upon the medical industry. --MaryK

                Courtesy is owed. Respect is earned. Love is given. (Unknown author, found in Guide to Texas Etiquette by Kinky Friedman)

                To: ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com
                From: g.fleck@...
                Date: Mon, 2 Nov 2009 00:25:10 +0000

                I agree totally Al, and appreciate your input on this important issue, but, more importantly, I appreciate the respectful side of you that you are showing me now, and I sincerely hope that in the future when we disagree, and we will, that we can deal with each other in a respectful way. Thank you so much for your valued input on this important issue Al, because this is very dear to my heart, and legalization could solve a multitude of problems facing America (and the world) now, both as a healing agent second to none, (and hemp seeds are a most healthful and nourishing food) and there are so many products that can be made of hemp that the mind boggles to even try to list them. Even hemp, which if legalized could be an amazing boost to American economy. I could go on and on about this. Gary

                --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, Al Gray <captaindragonfarstar@...> wrote:

                > I don't smoke it and never have, likely never will. I don't even smoke cigarettes. I like the pot for its medicinal qualities. It will be a big blow against Big Pharma when people are allowed to smoke it or use it in other ways.
                >
                > My pet project right now is to try to find a way to get legalization of hemp as part of the discussion during the next state election campaign. Legalizing hemp is the beginning of the end for clear cut forestry, with all the attendant advantages to that. It has the potential of being a way of bring prosperity to the farmers, and thus to the rest of the nation. I see small industries of paper making and fiber making and oil production, just for a start. And it improves the soil.
                >
                > There are forces that will oppose that idea though, out of enlightened self-interest.
                >
                > Dragon

              • geoff gardiner
                Message 7 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
                  Hey Al and Gary great idea,
                  have to admit I do smoke it but the other uses are many.Wasn't hemp for fibre a huge industry in the US years ago until the gov. shut it down?Geoff OZ

                  ________________________________

                  Message 8 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009

                    I'm not in a position to go out and campaign or to champion any particular cause in the public arena. I'm looking for people who have access to people who can put the idea in their head and let them run with it. If you know anyone who knows someone, try that.

                    I've already written to two people who plan to run for governor next year. No answer from either of them, so I'm now looking for someone on the local level. A member of the House of Representatives would be ideal.

                    How about you? Do you know someone who can use this as a campaign plank. He or she would have an appeal that the other candidates did not.

                    MaryK has found the college democrats organization. Next time they meet, they'll be greeted with printouts from this site:

                    http://hempbasics.com/shop/cms-display/hemp-information.html

                    I'm encouraging everyone who is reading this to try to figure a way to get this issue into the next campaign.

                    There's a lot of us here, and if we get behind this idea we can make a difference. Something to do between chemtrails!

                    Dragon

                    Message 9 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
                      I am in total agreement here Mary, this one issue is probably the single most important issue facing America today, an issue which could solve so many problems facing us today. I have many articles about this saved in my files, I will begin to share them as I relocate them. Gary

                      Message 10 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
                        Yes Geoff, but that is only one aspect of this issue, in fact Henry Fords original cars were constructed almost entirely of hemp plastic, a nature friendly product which is stronger than metal, or plastic made from oil. Besides, his cars were originally designed to run on alcohol made from hemp seeds until he was threatened by the oil companies and was forced to switch his carburetors to run only on gas. And, that is only the tip of a huge mostly hidden iceberg of related information Gary

                        --- In ricksgardeningtips@yahoogroups.com, geoff gardiner <libra1672003@...> wrote:

                        > Hey Al and Gary great idea,
                        > have to admit I do smoke it but the other uses are many.Wasn't hemp for fibre a huge industry in the US years ago until the gov. shut it down?Geoff OZ
                        >

                        > ________________________________

                      • virginia hawke
                        Message 11 of 13 , Nov 1, 2009
                          Hi Gang!

                          An update on the MJ & Hemp industry here in Mendocino. As I've reported, many times, MJ is quite legal here if you have a Medical  MJ card, which is soooo easy to get.  Dan Hamburg (google him) lives "just down the road" from my place and is asking for some sort of permit to grow MJ on his property...probably with a Medical Card, but he's asking for 25 plants...right now the limit is 6 per person. He's a former CA Congressman and I hear-tell he is going to be running for the Board of Supervisors of Ukiah next year.

                          As for Hemp, it is a featured "product" at the Solar Fest down in Hopland every year (20 mins. South of Ukiah)...food, clothing, other things made of Hemp. How/where do they get their "permits" to grow hemp, or do they "import" it?  I never did ask or research it, but our local Health Food Co-op carries hemp products also, some of them from local, cottage-industry vendors.

                          Now, as promised, here is that "hilarious" MJ bust I wrote about...the $80,000 confiscated from Fed Ex, written up in our local paper on 10/29/09.

                          http://www.ukiahdailyjournal.com/ukiahnews/ci_13666752

                          This type of thing goes on all the time out here, believe it or not.  The poorest looking folks, dressed in rags and shopping with food stamps (at our local VERY EXPENSIVE Co-Op)  finish their shopping and hop into brand new Humvees & head back into the hills.  After "harvest", many of them winter over in Belize, Costa Rica or some other warm climate.  Nice work if you can get it.....without getting caught, that is.

                          Ginny

                          I agree totally Al, and appreciate your input on this important issue, but, more importantly, I appreciate the respectful side of you that you are showing me now, and I sincerely hope that in the future when we disagree, and we will, that we can deal with each other in a respectful way. Thank you so much for your valued input on this important issue Al, because this is very dear to my heart, and legalization could solve a multitude of problems facing America (and the world) now, both as a healing agent second to none, (and hemp seeds are a most healthful and nourishing food) and there are so many products that can be made of hemp that the mind boggles to even try to list them. Even hemp, which if legalized could be an amazing boost to American economy. I could go on and on about this. Gary

                          --- In ricksgardeningtips@ yahoogroups. com, Al Gray <captaindragonfarst ar@...> wrote:

                          > I don't smoke it and never have, likely never will. I don't even smoke cigarettes. I like the pot for its medicinal qualities. It will be a big blow against Big Pharma when people are allowed to smoke it or use it in other ways.
                          >
                          > My pet project right now is to try to find a way to get legalization of hemp as part of the discussion during the next state election campaign. Legalizing hemp is the beginning of the end for clear cut forestry, with all the attendant advantages to that. It has the potential of being a way of bring prosperity to the farmers, and thus to the rest of the nation. I see small industries of paper making and fiber making and oil production, just for a start. And it improves the soil.
                          >
                          > There are forces that will oppose that idea though, out of enlightened self-interest.
                          >
                          > Dragon

                        • Betsy Reed
                          Message 12 of 13 , Nov 2, 2009
                            And don't forget the many useful health applications of hemp oil.
                            check out the
                            Rick Simpson story:
                            http://www.phoenixtears.ca/

                            Betsy Reed

                            The Golden Rule: "He who has the gold makes the rules." (1988 film
                            "They Live")

                          • Gary
                            Message 13 of 13 , Nov 2, 2009
                              Thanks for posting this Betsy, Rick has done a very good job of not only helping many people with growing his own pot crops and making it into hemp oil, then giving it away for free to those in need of it's healing qualities, but also in showing the general public the healing qualities of hemp oil. It's too bad that the authorities have seen fit to harass him because he has not done this for profit. Gary