Re: Web Site

  • Timothy Wood
    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 30, 2008
      I think David makes a good point for starting with the basic Upcoming
      site - i think using any of the free services is fine up and to a
      point - if we really want to tap into the social media aspect it may
      make sense to create a basic site backed with a content management
      system (I'm not a big fan of Drupal sorry David) - and from there we
      can link off to other sites such as Upcoming for calendering etc

      Maybe even have a page where we can list the members and twitter/blog
      pages to give more of a community feel. I find myself more inclined to
      tap into the different services we all use currently rather than
      pushing one method of calendaring/communication.

      That's my 2c. Cheers.

      --- In richmondux@yahoogroups.com, "David Tatum" <davidtatum4@...> wrote:

      > Susan mentioned creating a web site for the group at the meeting.
      Here are some thoughts.

      > Many of the other user groups use Upcoming <http://upcoming.yahoo.com/>
      > to post their meeting announcements. It's an easy way to get the word
      > out, and it lets people RSVP.
      >
      > My first thought is that we may not need much more than the yahoo group
      > landing page and upcoming.
      >
      > One option is to start a blog on one of the free blogging sites like
      > http://www.blogger.com <http://www.blogger.com/> . Each month someone
      > posts a new blog entry with the next meeting details. We could link back
      > to this group and upcoming.
      >
      > re:fresh richmond <http://www.refreshrichmond.org/> has a nice site the
      > looks like it's just static, and updated each month. I know there are
      > free web hosting sites too.
      >
      > If we want to get more elaborate, the Java User Group
      > <http://www.richmondjug.com/> uses http://drupal.org
      > <http://drupal.org/> , an open source content management system.
      >
      > Then, if we wanted to get really elaborate we create a side project for
      > the developers and web site designers in the group.

    • susan
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 16, 2008
        Hey guys
        Thanks for the ideas - I like the blog idea, esp. so that folks can
        comment.

        Cheers,
        susan

        --- In richmondux@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Wood" <codearachnid@...>

      • john@thehewittgroup.net
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 16, 2008
          Perhaps I could donate some server space and a CMS...WordPress,
          Joomla/Mambo or similar? Let me know if that is something that would
          interest the group and I will see what I can work out on one of my shared
          hosting plans. Thoughts?

          John Hewitt

          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 16, 2008
            Either way there's plenty of options out there - I have a good amount
            experience with Wordpress and Expression Engine so those are some good
            starting points. Anyone wanting to take a stab at the design? I'm game
            for development or design.

            I'm wondering if it makes sense to start with a forum where everyone
            can post or do we want authors and a blog format?

            - Tim

            --- In richmondux@yahoogroups.com, john@... wrote:

            > Perhaps I could donate some server space and a CMS...WordPress,
            > Joomla/Mambo or similar? Let me know if that is something that would
            > interest the group and I will see what I can work out on one of my
            shared
            > hosting plans. Thoughts?
            >
            > John Hewitt
            >

            > > Hey guys
            > > Thanks for the ideas - I like the blog idea, esp. so that folks can
            > > comment.
            > >
            > > Cheers,
            > > susan
            > >
            > > --- In richmondux@yahoogroups.com, "Timothy Wood" <codearachnid@>
            > > wrote:
            > >>
            > >> I think David makes a good point for starting with the basic Upcoming
            > >> site - i think using any of the free services is fine up and to a
            > >> point - if we really want to tap into the social media aspect it may
            > >> make sense to create a basic site backed with a content management
            > >> system (I'm not a big fan of Drupal sorry David) - and from there we
            > >> can link off to other sites such as Upcoming for calendering etc
            > >>
            > >> Maybe even have a page where we can list the members and twitter/blog
            > >> pages to give more of a community feel. I find myself more
            inclined to
            > >> tap into the different services we all use currently rather than
            > >> pushing one method of calendaring/communication.
            > >>
            > >> That's my 2c. Cheers.
            > >>
            > >> --- In richmondux@yahoogroups.com, "David Tatum" <davidtatum4@>

            > >> Here are some thoughts.

            > > <http://upcoming.yahoo.com/>

            > > group

            > > link back

            > > site the

            > > project for

          • se teague rector
            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 16, 2008
              Hey guys,
              I was planning to pay for the Wordpress hosting, but if you have server space, that would be GREAT! I have a small mockup on a design - would love your help in getting the thing set up

              Let's chat off-line?

              Susan Teague Rector

              Message 6 of 8 , Sep 16, 2008
                No need to pay for it - there's plenty of space to use - I've got
                space, John has space etc... feel free to ping me directly to go over
                the mockup.

                --- In richmondux@yahoogroups.com, se teague rector <teaguese@...> wrote:

                > Hey guys,
                > I was planning to pay for the Wordpress hosting, but if you have
                server space, that would be GREAT! I have a small mockup on a design -
                would love your help in getting the thing set up

                > Let's chat off-line?
                >

                > Susan Teague Rector

              • Andrew Miller
                Message 7 of 8 , Sep 17, 2008
                  Hi All,

                  I'm new to the group. Looking forward to getting involved.

                  For what it's worth, I created an article stub for the group on
                  RichmondWiki.org, a site I started as a community resource. Feel free
                  to use the article to store or share any info in addition to whatever
                  website solution the group comes up with. As a wiki, anybody can edit
                  the article or create new content on anything related to Richmond.

                  http://www.richmondwiki.org/wiki/Richmond_User_Experience_Group

                  If there are any wiki enthusiasts out there, I would appreciate your
                  input and contributions to the project. Successful examples of other
                  civic wikis include ArborWiki.org (Ann Arbor, MI) and WikiPhilly.com.

                  Best,
                  Andrew